Menu

Book A Week in 2009 *Week 36 Book 37*

Today is the start of Week 36 in the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks and starting book # 37. Guess what? We are 2/3rds of the way towards our goal of reading 52 books for the year.

*********************************************************************************

Free books -- now who would pass up a free book I ask you.

This monday starts BBAW - Book Blogger Appreciation week which will run through September 14th to the 18th and is being hosted by My Friend Amy.

There are 1000 or more book bloggers participating, plus authors, writers and a whole slew of other folks. There will be many giveaways and contests and other activities. Lots of free books. I've donated the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer and The Restoration Series by Terri Blackstock to BBAW and they will be given away at the host site. I will also be giving away several books during the week at my blog. including Wicked by Gregory Maguire, BoneMan's Daughter by Ted Dekker, Benny and Shrimp by Katarina Mazetti, Paris City of Night by David Downie, and The Divorce Party by Laura Dave.

I will also be giving away bonus books during the week. So head on over the BBAW and check out the fun. Some giveaways have already started. Don't miss it.

What are you reading this week?

No need for nudgings, let a woman align herself with her time zone, can't ya? ;)

A nudge to Nakia, though. She usually posts just ahead of me. Yoo Hooooooo! Nakiaaaaa! Where are youuuuuuu?

Yay! Anyway, I'm glad to report that I have had good book luck this week. Just last night I finished "Winter Journey." I had to bully myself into actually starting because I was afraid it was going to be another novel full of cliches; you know, woman having affair with married man, another WW2 Polish/Jewish ghetto story that's identical to all the others I've read. Not that there is anything wrong with ghetto stories, but when every one is the same as the last, you lose interest. Well, there were a few cliches and the plot was a bit predictable in parts, but the heroine was a forensic dentist. Isn't that cool? I've never read a book about a forensic dentist before! And I read "Vivaldi's Virgins" which was better than I thought it'd be. If you liked "Girl with a Pearl Earring" you'll like this one. You might like it even more than "Girl with a Pearl Earring" because the ending isn't as unsatisfying.

Next on the list to have a flick through is a book on gardening in tropical areas. I don't live in a tropical area and never will, but for some reason the book looked appealing. I've also got a book on Korean cooking to flick through. Then I'll re-read a few bibs and bobs from "Parenting your Nursing Toddler" and get stuck into another book to read all the way through. I have another of Jennifer Ciaverini's quilting books, one I don't think I've read before. I like them, they're cute.

:)

Rosie

I just finished reading The Informant, by Kurt Eichenwald. This book reads like a factual, riotous, 90's, price fixing, version of The Bonfire of the Vanities. Which means that the book was :lol:, while I fear the upcoming movie will be :glare:.

This week I've started The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow. Despite my belief that perfection achieving, interventionist control freaks rule the world because the others are simply incapable of handling such matters properly, the book is highly enlightening.

Edited by DSAcademy
The book is much better than my snark.

Just finished "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Ernesto 'Che' Guevara. Fairly interesting diary of his travels through South America w/ a friend of his. It's a short book, but he had a few interesting comments & observations about people & places.... If you like travel &/or travel commentaries, you would probably enjoy the book.

Currently reading "Mansfield Park" (but am not really in the mood for it).

I've only recently starting peeking in on the WTM boards but realized that I have read 35 books this year and am currently reading two so maybe I qualify to participate??? I wasn't really trying to read a book a week but it kinda works out that way...especially as I am an insomniac! I get a lot read during 3-5am!

I am currently reading The Country Life which is supposed to be funny but so far not so much. It is set in the English country side and a young women drops her life in London to go care for a disabled boy...in the country not telling anyone where she is going. It is slow going and I am not sure I am enjoying it.

The other one is The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries. It is a silly mystery that I was supposed to read for book club (that is meeting at this very moment) but I decided I didn't want to deal with it this month. The Inspector is a bumbling, bungling sort who would never solve anything without the help of his housekeeper Mrs. Jeffries...and staff. It's silly but I am on ch. 6 and hate to quit now.

I love talking books and I hope I am not intruding. :001_smile:

Well, I wouldn't think you are (but I'm not a member of the book a week club either, lol).

I'm actually not anywhere near the book a week level yet, but I chime in on this thread because, like you, I like talking about books.

Guess we're the book gate-crashers. ;):lol:

I don't remember where I left off posting - so here are my last three:

#41 - Always Looking Up, by Michael J. Fox

#42 - Choices, by Nicholas Sparks

#43 - Is God Obsolete? (Series: An M.D. Examines), by Dr. Brad Burke

Currently reading "Ester Reid" by Isabella Alden. About two short chapters into it, I realized I had read this book a couple years

ago . . . however, I was away and had brought ONLY this book as the back-up in case I finished "Is God Obsolete?" I finished it, started "Ester Reid" and not having anything else to read, figured I may as well re-read it - so I am even though I'm back home . . . Since I put this much time into it, I hate to not see it through, and I really have no idea what I want to read next, so . . . I will read it again!

Is it too late to join in the fun? I just joined the boards a few months ago, and I read about a book every two weeks...I think I could ramp it up easily at least these last four months.

I just read, "Parenting in the Pew" yesterday. Not as meaty as I thought it would be...should've bought used on half.com, but gained enough insight to recommend it and pass along.

Will be reading "Green" next -- can hardly wait -- book four of Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy (Black, Red, White) that was just released last week.

Welcome to the new contributors! I love seeing what everyone is reading and have gotten a few good titles from this series of threads in the last 8 months.

I currently have 4 unfinished books. 2 of them are worth finishing: Home, Julie Andrew's memoir of life up to Mary Poppins, and Life of Pi. Julie Andrews is a lovely writer, but Yann Martel is amazing. I'm loving Pi, am savoring it rather than rushing through it. I found a couple of interviews with him on the internet this a.m. and he is just as interesting when speaking off the cuff as he is as a writer.

The other 2 books are guilty pleasure, late summer beach reads, and both both rely too much on stupid characters as an exposition devise. Really annoying, but something that can be easily skipped while reading a printed book. If it is an audio book, as is Crichton's Timeline that my ds and I decided to listen to together, it is enough to make you scream in frustration!! Having scientists not know basic science as the reason to explain quantum physics to the reader just doesn't work. It is cumbersome and interrupts the suspension of belief needed for a good escapist read. Haven't finished Timeline, and won't! The other beach book is Brad Thor's State of the Union. Cool premise, action packed, but the main character just isn't smooth enough or smart enough to win against an extra smooth and smart bad guy. I read the last few pages and will consider it finished!

I've only recently starting peeking in on the WTM boards but realized that I have read 35 books this year and am currently reading two so maybe I qualify to participate??? I wasn't really trying to read a book a week but it kinda works out that way...especially as I am an insomniac! I get a lot read during 3-5am!

I am currently reading The Country Life which is supposed to be funny but so far not so much. It is set in the English country side and a young women drops her life in London to go care for a disabled boy...in the country not telling anyone where she is going. It is slow going and I am not sure I am enjoying it.

The other one is The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries. It is a silly mystery that I was supposed to read for book club (that is meeting at this very moment) but I decided I didn't want to deal with it this month. The Inspector is a bumbling, bungling sort who would never solve anything without the help of his housekeeper Mrs. Jeffries...and staff. It's silly but I am on ch. 6 and hate to quit now.

You aren't intruding at all. We are glad to have you. I also started a blog for reviews for all the participants and a few folks post their reviews there. Let me know if you want to sign up for it as well.

Well, I wouldn't think you are (but I'm not a member of the book a week club either, lol).

I'm actually not anywhere near the book a week level yet, but I chime in on this thread because, like you, I like talking about books.

Guess we're the book gate-crashers. ;):lol:

LOL! Crash away you guys. The more, the merrier.

Is it too late to join in the fun? I just joined the boards a few months ago, and I read about a book every two weeks...I think I could ramp it up easily at least these last four months.

I just read, "Parenting in the Pew" yesterday. Not as meaty as I thought it would be...should've bought used on half.com, but gained enough insight to recommend it and pass along.

Will be reading "Green" next -- can hardly wait -- book four of Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy (Black, Red, White) that was just released last week.

Nope, it's not too late to join in. Let me know if you want to post any reviews on the blog and I'll set you up too. Yeah for Ted Dekker. I read the first three a while ago. Will have to go back and reread before getting Green. I don't remember its been so long.

Yippee, Skippee. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown just arrived. I'm looking forward to finding some time to sit down and read it.

You guys are missing out - bbaw is going on right now with lots, lots, lots of contests and giveaways - free books. Neat, neat, neat.

Running list:

The Bell at Sealey Head

Alphabet of Thorn

Od Magic

In the Forests of Serre

Coffe, Tea, and Me

The Tower at Stony Wood

Music of the Dolphin

My Blue Castle

The Eye of the Heron

Fools Run

Learning to Bow

Mansfield Park

What Shamu Taught Me About Love and Marriage

A Wind in Cairo

Silver Pigs

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Chosen

Dealing with Dragons

Don't Shoot the Dog

The Chosen

Boy

Going Solo

Gaudy Night

Wild Magic

Sheiks and Adders

(and all our Berenstein Bear books)

Most recently:

a Dolciani algebra book

Busman's Honeymoon

The Fairies' Reel

The Mysterious Comission

Double Contact

Honeybath's Haven

The second and third in the Wild Magic series (can't remember their titles)

The Accusers

Scandal Takes a Holiday

Alexandria

and one other Lindsey Davis whose name I can't

Lady Susan

Emma

The most recent is light vacation fluff (except the algebra book), almost all of which I haven't read before, which was fun.

-Nan

I'm not sure I'm up to book #37 yet, but I am reading a lot more these days. Sitting here in my lap is Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell. I was originally interested in the idea of 10,000 hrs. of practice to become an expert, but there is so much more (when a person is born, the culture they're born into, and parenting expectations etc.) that determines why one person finds "success" and another doesn't. The chapter on aviation accidents is fascinating.

I am going to look for The tipping Point and Blink. I hope these books are equally interesting.

Happy Reading