Menu

bladder infections

Ughhh I think im dying. Ughhhh....this is horrible. I have no clue what happened.

Ok...so I am being a bit dramatic :ack2: (forgive me...I know its not really that bad) ...but I was fine 2 hours ago. Then ... it hit me.

I have no clue what caused this....but it figures. It has to be on a holiday weekend. Just my luck. I dont have pain yet...just "that feeling" with chills after you go...and tons of urges...my lower abdomen is hurting. Ugh. I forgot about this. I havent have this since I was preggy with my son 14 years ago. (that turned to a kidney infection that was worse then labor)

Any suggestions? I have already had half a bottle of cranberry juice, water and now my stomach might explode.

Edited by mchel210

There's an OTC product called Uristat that will take away the pain. It only lasts a day or two before the pain comes back. But while it's working, it really works! Really! Uristat will stain your pee dark yellow and it WILL stain your underwear.

And there are also over the counter test strips to detect if you have a UTI. Perhaps if you test positive and call your doctor's after hours number they might call in a rx for you. (If pharmacies are open.)

DO NOT TAKE THE URISTAT BEFORE THE UTI TEST STRIPS! The yellow dye in the uristat will mess up the test.

And keep drinking. Drinking the cranberry juice has never made the infection go away for me, but it cuts down on the pain while urinating. Just be prepared to drink a gallon a day and pee a lot. (In fact, if you drink that much, it won't hurt to pee very much at all, but the infection is still there and as soon as you stop drinking, the pain comes back.)

Edited by Garga

Do you have a primary care physician? Can you call them and explain? They really shouldn't make you wait until Tuesday *and* they shouldn't make you go to urgent care either. However, I have essentially never had any luck with the home remedies. The only time anything besides antibiotics has ever worked for me is when I took 1 gram (1000 mg) of vitamin C with a ton of water. It worked one time and never again.

I hope you feel better soon. Please call your doctor right away. If they are human they'll call in a prescription today.

Call the doctor's after hours number and ask them your questions:

"Hi, I'm so-and-so, your patient. Sorry to bother you. I'm pretty sure I have a UTI. If I take the over the counter UTI test, and it's positive, will you call in an RX for me?

So sorry to bother you, but you know I don't want to have this infection in my body untreated until Tuesday. Thanks."

If he says, "Take the test, I'll call it in." Great!

If he says, "No, I'll have to see you in person." Not so great. Just take the uristat and keep drinking until Tuesday.

and you need to go to the closest health food store and get yourself a bottle of D-Mannose. It is a natural simple sugar that is the active ingredient in cranberries that make them successful in helping to get rid of bladder infections. Also, oil of oregano. Between these two, I haven't had an infection in 1 1/2 years. The d-mannose is good for e-coli-based infections and the oil of oregano is good for staph-based infections. I've had both, sometimes at the same time. It's a long story.

And cranberry juice usually has so much sugar in it that it feeds the infection, so don't drink any juice that's sweetened. Just don't let the health food store people talk you into anything else. Don't worry about the probiotics right now. You need the d-mannose. ClearTract is the brand I've had luck with. Good luck.

and you need to go to the closest health food store and get yourself a bottle of D-Mannose. It is a natural simple sugar that is the active ingredient in cranberries that make them successful in helping to get rid of bladder infections. Also, oil of oregano. Between these two, I haven't had an infection in 1 1/2 years. The d-mannose is good for e-coli-based infections and the oil of oregano is good for staph-based infections. I've had both, sometimes at the same time. It's a long story.

And cranberry juice usually has so much sugar in it that it feeds the infection, so don't drink any juice that's sweetened. Just don't let the health food store people talk you into anything else. Don't worry about the probiotics right now. You need the d-mannose. ClearTract is the brand I've had luck with. Good luck.

I have to look this up. All my health food stores here are closed...but this might be a great item to keep around. My neighbor cant tell me enough about taking oil of oregano.

I do keep a full bottle of d-mannose and oil of oregano around all the time. I do take a drop of two of oil of oregano every day as a preventative. It's good for all sorts of things, especially respiratory. I have also given it to my kids, but it's kind of spicy. I don't mind it, and it really works. When I feel sick from a cold, flu, bladder infection, fungus, bacterial infection, you name it, it can cure it. I do take it like 10 times a day until I feel better, which is usually by the end of the day.

My doctor never called me back...:mad:...I ended up going to a walk in clinic here that, thank God, was open today. They took me in so fast...only 15 min and I was done! So much better then my dr. office. I had a huge infection so they put me on antibiotics. Last night I took my hubby's amoxicillin I know Im not supposed to but it helped me soooo much.

Thank you ladies for advice. I drank the entire cranberry juice yesterday. Ive never seen those cranberry pills. I have to look for them.

you also might consider some Sovereign Silver--this particular brand is supposed to be very high quality. I took some one day when I had a bladder infection--a few drops under my tongue. I was in bed with the pain and the urologist was waiting to treat me until my culture came back. I was miserable. But--no lie--within 5 minutes of taking the silver, my pain lessened dramatically and I felt so much better. I still took an antibiotic later, but that silver relieved my symptoms.

The only time anything besides antibiotics has ever worked for me is when I took 1 gram (1000 mg) of vitamin C with a ton of water. It worked one time and never again..

Apart from the usual hygiene things (that I am VERY careful about), he suggested I try taking 3g (3000mg) of vitamin C a day to acidify the urine. This is supposed to help prevent infection. You should take it spread over the day, so I'm taking 1000mg morning, noon and night. I'll see how things go over the next few months.