Menu

New Texas seatbelt and carseat laws...

As of September 1st:

Every person riding in an auto must be wearing a seatbelt --no matter their age or if they are in the back seat.

All children must be in car/booster seats until they are 4'9" (57 inches) or 8 years old... (we have to go dig out dd's booster seats that she stopped using this past summer... she is 7.5 yrs old and 55 inches tall...).

I wonder how they expect us to keep up with the changes... I just heard about this today in an e-mail from Driver Ed in a Box (dd 16 just got her permit).

I am seriously opposed to seat belt laws for adults. Yes, it is safer and I always wear a seat belt, but it one of the Nanny laws that bug me. The state has not right to tell me whats good for me.

On the other hand. Way too many people take their kids out of car seats too soon. I know that without regulations many wouldn't even use car seats for as long as they do now, but where do you draw the line? Because again, it is a law that is designed to tell you as a parent what is best for your child.

I am seriously opposed to seat belt laws for adults. Yes, it is safer and I always wear a seat belt, but it one of the Nanny laws that bug me. The state has not right to tell me whats good for me.

I would agree with this if hospitals weren't required to treat those who come in injured because of accidents in which they were not wearing their seatbelts. I feel the same way about bike helmets, motorcycle helmets, etc...as soon as a law is passed that doesn't require the general public to bear the financial burden of an individuals stupidity they should feel free to be stupid.

Edited by Cera

I think the new laws sound great!

I would agree with this if hospitals weren't required to treat those who come in injured because of accidents in which they were not wearing their seatbelts. I feel the same way about bike helmets, motorcycle helmets, etc...as soon as a law is passed that doesn't require the general public to bear the financial burden of an individuals stupidity they should feel free to be stupid.

I mostly agree, but I'll add that such things also affect everyone else's insurance rates, both medical and auto. Also, an unrestrained adult can become a projectile in an accident, injuring or killing other innocent people, including children.

I know that without regulations many wouldn't even use car seats for as long as they do now, but where do you draw the line? Because again, it is a law that is designed to tell you as a parent what is best for your child.

Seatbelts were tested on adult men though, not children. They literally cannot work properly unless you are the correct size. It's not really a matter of personal feelings concerning your child's maturity or whatever. I get what you're saying, but I don't think there's much room for interpretation with this particular issue.

Well, yes, but extracting human projectiles from wherever they land - through the windshield, impaled on various parts of the frame, in the trees - is not exactly risk-free for the emergency crews. The state has the burden of protecting them.

8 y.o. & 4'10" is and has been the law here for a while. And while it seems sort of silly on the face of it, at 5'0" I have trouble getting the seatbelts to adjust properly on me, even with the seat all the way up (vertically, not toward the steering wheel, I'm afraid of the airbag) and the seatbelt in the lowest position. (But if I had a booster, I would have to sit closer to the scary airbag to reach the pedals. Oh, the great irony of being short)

By that logic, hospitals shouldn't treat a whole heck of a lot of people.

In theory, I agree. In reality, it's only the law that keeps some people in seat belts. The cost of medical tx for unrestrained motorists in car accidents and unhelmeted motorcyclists is excessive.

Sometimes top down legislation is the fastest way to a healthy change by the largest group of people.

Look at what happened in Norway with breastfeeding rates.....nearly all babies in Norway are now nursed for at least a year. That's a dramatic decrease in costs over the long term of the public health of the country and decrease in costs over the short term for families by formula.

K

I don't know how I feel about the adult law. Ideally people wear seatbelts, I think it should be law that drivers do, but....well, I don't know about not letting people be idiots if they want to. However, if I sit in the backseat and get killed because I didn't wear the seatbelt, *I* am not the one who pays the price. It's my family who does. My children deserve a parent as long as possible. So then I think, "since so many people choose to be idiots, I guess we have to have a law to protect their families."

As for the children? I absolutely think we need that law. WAY too many parents make poor choices in terms of their children's safety. I'd love if they also made a law on how long they need to be rear facing since parents are in such a hurry to turn them around. I wish parents chose what was best for the CHILD, but it just doesn't happen. Parents don't care that the seatbelt is just slightly off their 7yr old (or worn incorrectly by a 4yr old). They don't care that their 8month old is at serious risk facing foward. How many research these issues AT ALL? But a GOOD percentage WILL follow the law. Also, then it lets them off the hook if the issue is "none of my friends use one" because all their friends WILL use one or will be breaking the law. "In our family, we follow the law" is a lot easier for some people.

Anyway....I do think more should ahve been said about these laws. The carseat one was discussed on here because people informed me of it when I was carrying on about how stupid our old law was. And I heard about both on the news about a month ago. Something more should have been said. They sure made sure everyone knew about the cell phones in school zones law (that became a law like last spring but they weren't putting into effect til Sept 1st).

I am seriously opposed to seat belt laws for adults. Yes, it is safer and I always wear a seat belt, but it one of the Nanny laws that bug me.

I guess they are thinking about other people, also. If you don't wear your seat belt, you could harm others. People have been killed by another passenger or driver who didn't wear their seat belt. You can be thrown around in the car, and risk injuring or killing others.