Menu

If you wear a headcovering, can you come in here?

I think it depends on your motivation for covering.

Everyone's is different (unless it is becuase the church requires it, in that case they have there theology behind it.) But in the Orthodox faith it is not required. It is traditional, but not required (with the rare exception where some churches require it at church or to receive the sacraments.)

I wear a bandana and if people think I am doing it becuase of housework or becuase I am a (non pot smoking) hippy (in case MamaDuck was worried! lol) then that's OK with me. In fact I prefer to blend in. I am not doing it as a holier-than-thou (not applying anybody else is) thing and so if other women don't know I am covering becuase of my faith, that's better for me.

I cover as a reminder to MYSELF be humble, to not be vain of my hair, and to be in prayer "without ceasing." I wear for me, not to make a point or be a witness.

And in church I dress my head up a step above a bandana. :001_smile:

Oh, and hey, I'm not offended either!

Not worried at all. I have no problem being labeled a hippie. But apparently some people assume that includes pot smoking or some such bunk.

This pattern is like the Cecily style, I think.

To avoid the point flapping up you have to use an oval design, more like a big headband than three-cornered handkerchief. But if you're really attached to the triangular pattern that's so easy and common in our culture (and thus not attention grabbing), you could sew a small weight into that corner which will hang down.

My hands-down favorite was always the big scarf. We used to have fun learning all the many pretty ties.

I don't cover my head, but I have an addiction to scarves (at this point almost worse than shoes) and I love that site! Pretty, pretty!

I've known many traditional Catholic women who headcover all the time. My daughter and myself always cover out heads for mass and I keep our coverings handy in my purse.

I have seen many of them sew their own coverings to match their outfit or even install a small snap on an existing scarf or headcovering so that it will fit better.

To weight the back corner of a triangular scarf, I have used very small curtain tassels that I found in fabric stores. I used to make my own scarves and I liked to find pretty tassels that matched.

Lately I like to wear the long rectangular scarves that are fashionable now and can be found in Target and such places. They're usually made of very airy, gauzy material, which I love b/c I live in hot, humid Houston and loathe being sweaty! I just wear them loosely with one end tossed over my shoulder and the other hanging in front.

If I need it to stay tightly in place (for formal occasions), I like to use a wide, stretchy hairband. This goes behind my ears as if I just wanted to hold my hair back. Then I put the scarf over it as I would normally, and insert a straight pin through the scarf and hairband at the top of my head. I may or may not add more pins at the sides.

Hope this is helpful!

Amy

We attend an Orthodox Jewish synogogue and often involved in the larger synogogue community. 90+% of the married women cover their hair. For normal daily activities, probably half wear snoods, tichels, hats etc (with all hair tucked in), another 40% or so wear a sheitl (wig), maybe 5% wear hair down/showing but with a bandana/covering/hat over it and another 5% don't cover hair. Again, this is married women only.

For formal worship, a few married women wear hats with hair showing/down but 95%++ wear a sheitl with or without a hat. Hmm. I just realized that I am probably the only married woman who doesn't cover at synogogue services at that shul. **note to self.....**

At our other synagogue (small Chabad synogogue) only the rabbi's wife covers her hair - sheitl for formal purposes/services.....tichel/snood etc when going about a normal day.

K

I have a couple bandana types that I like to wear, but my extended family told me if I continued wearing them they would report me to CPS as belonging to a cult (they are against me being a Christian if it doesn't match there way) so I have stopped wearing them in public and only do now when I pray on my own at home. I want to be wearing one fulltime but don't need the extra threats and headaches because of it.

That is horrible!! I am so sorry to hear that. Families are full of nuts! Why do they always assume it's us? Maybe they are the nuts! lol...

...Similarly, we [Orthodox, I mean] are not to wear the small, round lace pieces (shaped like a "doily").

In Alaska, there are women who do indeed wear what I could only call a gussied-up doily. They added beads, ribbons woven in and hanging down the back. A lady in Alaska heard that my dds were curious and sent us some.

I wear hats. Straw in the summer, wool (usually a fedora if I can find one) in the winter. It becomes less of an issue with others who are not convinced that they should wear a covering. I've been wearing hats or other coverings since 1981, so no one has seen me without one in church for decades.

Until today - I forgot one this morning before Divine Liturgy! :tongue_smilie: