Menu

What does this say about dd?

hmschooling

LOL..I'm still laughing about it...she does this often. I'm curious what you think it says about the way she learns or processes info or whatever.

I said to the kids, "Today we are having pizza for lunch!". DD replies, "Great! I've been cARving pizza!". I ask, "Do you mean..." and before I finish, she says, "OOPS, I mean cRAving pizza!".

These two words are not similar in meaning, not similar in pronunciation, and only similar in spelling. I find it odd that she often says the wrong words in the wrong place and is only off by a letter...it's not similar meanings or sounds. What do you think? Maybe this will help me teach her better. (If I can stop laughing at her when she does it...LOL)

LOL..I'm still laughing about it...she does this often. I'm curious what you think it says about the way she learns or processes info or whatever.

I said to the kids, "Today we are having pizza for lunch!". DD replies, "Great! I've been cARving pizza!". I ask, "Do you mean..." and before I finish, she says, "OOPS, I mean cRAving pizza!".

These two words are not similar in meaning, not similar in pronunciation, and only similar in spelling. I find it odd that she often says the wrong words in the wrong place and is only off by a letter...it's not similar meanings or sounds. What do you think? Maybe this will help me teach her better. (If I can stop laughing at her when she does it...LOL)

Too many words in her brain. ;)

I don't know, but my DsD11 does this, too. Does your DD spell and sound out words well? Mine didn't so I had been wondering if it was Dyslexia. Now I'm leaning more toward her just talking too fast since she's getting a handle on her spelling and sounding out.

My dd8 talks fast and a lot...she reads well (4th-5th grade level) and can sound out words even without ever having phonics instruction. She spells better orally than on paper. She improved in spelling by leaps and bounds when I dropped our spelling programs and just used copywork and dictation. After having summer off, she is back to being a bad speller. She can read anything though and did all summer long! She finished entire series/collections in a week (Chronicles of Narnia, EB White books, etc.)

I think her vocab is so advanced (all that reading!) that her spelling suffers b/c she uses bigger words than most 8yo's. But, even words like with are spelled whith, adding -ed throws her off (coverd instead of covered)...and other simple mistakes like that. We're taking a personal spelling list method this year to focus on the rules she needs help with.

I haven't thought about dylexia b/c of reading/spelling issues, but have considered it due to math issues. Maybe that's a clue and she does have some mild hearing loss, talked very early then stopped suddenly and went through years of speech therapy to talk again (wasn't due to hearing loss, that came later), and has very mild sensory processing issues. Overall, she's a VERY bright child and has been "labled" as gifted.

I've heard it called 'Calliope syndrome' but I can't find a reference for it. Children who read a lot, read fast (rather than sounding out) and often get a wrong pronunciation into their heads. Even after they learn the proper pronunciation, the old one pops out occasionally. It gets better over time. Calvin did one today - mispronounced Telemachus, despite having had it corrected many times before.

Laura

Those kinds of errors (leaving off sounds or adding in letters as in whith), reversing sounds (carving instead of craving), struggles in spelling and/or math, along with being gifted could all fit into a dyslexic profile. Have you seen this article on Stealth Dyslexia?

Merry :-)

WOW! This is seriously describing my dd. Just look at the symptoms they list!

handwriting- this is still bad unless she concentrates like she's OCD, still reverses some, has odd grip. Has hard time getting ideas into written words most of the time.

oral language- perhaps conversation skills? Certainly! Can't narrate or clearly express ideas many times.

math- can't remember 2 plus 2 sometimes. Can not get certain simple concepts mastered, while she can easily do other advanced concepts.,

motor planning and coordination- runs with stiff torso, weak core, and has had to get phys/occupational therapy for this

organization (of what? I'm not sure-- thoughts? words? room? LOL

sequencing- this comes out in many areas, but I really notice in storytelling/narration

orientation to time- she really thought our 5 minute drive was at least half an hour. VERY bad with time. Both telling time and figuring elapsed time, as well as determining how long something should take.

focus and attention- was thought to be ADHD, but they said she's just gifted and energetic

right-left orientation- when will she EVER get right from left?!

spatial perception- bad, bad, bad.

auditory and visual processing- knows to have mild sensory issues, also wears hearing aid for mild hearing loss, craves all types of sensory input especially auditory.

eye movement control- has to wear reading glasses, not sure if it's related

memory- excellent memory on rhythmic verse, rhymes, scripture, songs...horrible memory on a short list of commands, short stories etc. that are read aloud (vs. excellent comprehension when she reads).

It also says the child may display: "reading skills that appear to fall within the normal or even superior range for children their age, at least on silent reading comprehension". This is dd!!

Another WOW-- "persistent difficulties with word-for-word reading. Though often subtle, these deficits, which usually result in subtle word substitutions or word skips"...this fits as I've already mentioned. She certainly does this.

Thanks SO much for this link. Now I just have to decide what to do with the info. The more of it I read, the more I see that is just talking about her.

Edited by hmschooling

WOW! This is seriously describing my dd. Just look at the symptoms they list!

handwriting- this is still bad unless she concentrates like she's OCD, still reverses some, has odd grip. Has hard time getting ideas into written words most of the time.

oral language- perhaps conversation skills? Certainly! Can't narrate or clearly express ideas many times.

math- can't remember 2 plus 2 sometimes. Can not get certain simple concepts mastered, while she can easily do other advanced concepts.,

motor planning and coordination- runs with stiff torso, weak core, and has had to get phys/occupational therapy for this

organization (of what? I'm not sure-- thoughts? words? room? LOL

sequencing- this comes out in many areas, but I really notice in storytelling/narration

orientation to time- she really thought our 5 minute drive was at least half an hour. VERY bad with time. Both telling time and figuring elapsed time, as well as determining how long something should take.

focus and attention- was thought to be ADHD, but they said she's just gifted and energetic

right-left orientation- when will she EVER get right from left?!

spatial perception- bad, bad, bad.

auditory and visual processing- knows to have mild sensory issues, also wears hearing aid for mild hearing loss, craves all types of sensory input especially auditory.

eye movement control- has to wear reading glasses, not sure if it's related

memory- excellent memory on rhythmic verse, rhymes, scripture, songs...horrible memory on a short list of commands, short stories etc. that are read aloud (vs. excellent comprehension when she reads).

It also says the child may display: "reading skills that appear to fall within the normal or even superior range for children their age, at least on silent reading comprehension". This is dd!!

Another WOW-- "persistent difficulties with word-for-word reading. Though often subtle, these deficits, which usually result in subtle word substitutions or word skips"...this fits as I've already mentioned. She certainly does this.

Thanks SO much for this link. Now I just have to decide what to do with the info. The more of it I read, the more I see that is just talking about her.

I think my dd has a clone and she is living in your house. Seriously! I could have written everyone of the above statements about my dd.

I have "known" she was mildly dyslexic since K, but, sadly, I'm still struggling with what to do about it. I just work with her strengths and look for strategies to overcome her weaknesses. How old is your dd?

Sometimes I say the wrong word. Never write it, but it comes out wrong. Like "lard" or "yawn" when I try to say "yard" or "lawn". And I can see myself saying carve instead of crave once in awhile. I too always had problems with left/right. None of the other stuff though... But I read and think (and type) super super super fast. Could thinking too fast mix up words too?

Sometimes I say the wrong word. Never write it, but it comes out wrong. Like "lard" or "yawn" when I try to say "yard" or "lawn". And I can see myself saying carve instead of crave once in awhile. I too always had problems with left/right. None of the other stuff though... But I read and think (and type) super super super fast. Could thinking too fast mix up words too?

I sometimes have two choices of words in my mind to use, and accidently combine them--like your "lard" or "yawn". Or I change my mind after starting a word, and it comes out goofy. Dh thinks it's funny. :glare:

Is your daughter only one? I was just looking at your signature and if that is the case then I have to say I think you're overthinking it. My oldest dd was barely even saying full sentences at one!! I cannot believe she even attempted to say the word "craving" at age one. To be honest, that is a very specific kind of word. She must have picked it up from you at some point but if you ask me it's pretty amazing!! If your daughter is one and she said a full sentence of "I'm craving pizza"..not just "I want pizza" or "me pizza!!"....well I'd say she's pretty darn smart for a one year old!

I also happen to think carving and craving are similar sounding words.

• 2 weeks later...
Is your daughter only one? I was just looking at your signature and if that is the case then I have to say I think you're overthinking it. My oldest dd was barely even saying full sentences at one!! I cannot believe she even attempted to say the word "craving" at age one. To be honest, that is a very specific kind of word. She must have picked it up from you at some point but if you ask me it's pretty amazing!! If your daughter is one and she said a full sentence of "I'm craving pizza"..not just "I want pizza" or "me pizza!!"....well I'd say she's pretty darn smart for a one year old!

I also happen to think carving and craving are similar sounding words.

My youngest is going to be 3 this month so no one year olds here! My dd I'm talking about is 8.:001_smile: