Menu

Question: Classical Writing for my 4th Grader

branycbur

Hello! We've been using Writing Strands and it's not a great fit. I am thinking of switching to Classical Writing...but do I need to start with Aesop? She is a very good writer, so I don't want her to get bored. But do they run sequentially?

Also, we usually use Wordly Wise for vocab. Would it be overkill to do Wordly Wise and Classical Writing together?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by branycbur

I *thought* my fifth grader was a reluctant writer (he has fine motor issues and in the past was really resistant to writing) so I placed him in Aesop A. He is so far advanced past what is recommended it's been a complete waste of time and money. He didn't need any support or assistance in the vocabulary or spelling, everything has been remedial for him. I finally gave it up and moved on to IEW Ancient History alongside FLL4 and WWE 3 and a smattering of Winston to bone up the grammar.

If your daughter is good in the writing, spelling, vocabulary areas I suspect Aesop A may be a step backwards. I would highly recommend looking at the samples carefully and consider starting on Aesop B or possibly a different program.

I've decided to hold onto Aesop A and try it next year with my now 2nd grader.

I'd start her in Aesop A, but move at a faster pace. Something like Day 1: intro, outline, Day 2: all the A&I exercises, Day 3: rough draft, Day 4: editing, Day 5: final draft (that's off the top of my head, and I skipped the copywork/dictation entirely). That'd do one lesson a week, instead of the suggested one lesson in two weeks. There's 18 lessons in Aesop A.

Hello! We've been using Writing Strands and it's not a great fit. I am thinking of switching to Classical Writing...but do I need to start with Aesop? She is a very good writer, so I don't want her to get bored. But do they run sequentially?

Also, we usually use Wordly Wise for vocab. Would it be overkill to do Wordly Wise and Classical Writing together?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Brandie,

I would go ahead with Aesop. She will work on outlining, grammar, diagramming (in B), looking up vocabulary on their own, writing quotations and adding descriptive detail. If the child likes they can change the story as long as they don't change the moral. For example my oldest re-wrote the Tortoise and the Hare as an eating contest between a mouse and a bear.

Heather