Menu

Rice Cookers?

I can't cook rice to save my life. It's either undercooked and crunchy or a big pan of ricey mush. Maybe it's my measuring skills or lack thereof.

Anyway, would it be worth it to buy a rice cooker if I made 1 big batch per week for a dinner and maybe a pan of rice pudding with the leftovers? I'm guessing I'd want to have about 10 cups of cooked rice per batch.

When a rice cooker says 10-cup capacity, does that mean 10 cups of cooked or uncooked rice?

What features do you like?

Any particular brand/model that you love?

Thank you, and my family thanks you.

I ADORE my rice cooker. I have a 10 cup Aroma that my husband bought at Costco as a Christmas gift. (Can you imagine the blank look on my face when I opened that gift up? I now love it...we use easily 3x a week). I think it was around $30 at Costco, and is $50 at Amazon. He decided to get the cheaper one first in case we loved it, and decided to get a bigger/more robust one later.

Mine comes with its own rice measuring cup -- you measure out how many cups of dry you want, then fill the water to the corresponding line inside of the removable, nonstick pot, so, 2 cups of rice, fill water to the 2 cup line. This yields approximately 4 cups of rice. Our liner measures to "10 cups of water" and the manual (I just checked) says this will yield approximately 20 cups of rice. So if you wanted to yield 10 cups of cooked rice, you would use 5 cups of dry rice, and fill the water to the 5 cup line.

We always use jasmine or calrose rice, both Asian-style, because we like it stickier.

Features that I like on mine:

• A by-the-hour delay feature: you can delay when the rice will by done by the hour. So let's say you wanted to have rice done at 6:00, you would set it up at 4:00, then set the delay time for 2 hours (this is not based on a clock...it's, "I want my rice done in 1, 2, 3, etc. whole hours.)
  • It has a quick rice feature (doesn't mean you use "quick" rice, but that the pre-soak is shortened). The normal cycle is about 30 minutes.
  • Brown rice feature
  • Countdown readout that starts about 12 minutes before its done.
  • Auto warm after the completion of the cooking cycle.
  • Vegetable/meat steam basket
  • Came with a non-scratch soup ladle and a rice scooper and a place for the scooper or ladle to rest.
  • Nonstick liner is a breeze to clean up.
  • No hard layer of rice on the bottom -- even after the warm cycle has been on for a while.

I know there are much more expensive models out there, and they may very well be worth the money, but for our family, this one has been just great.

Edited by BikeBookBread
added link to Amazon

Hi Susan,

I used to have a Black & Decker rice maker (it was a wedding present) and I liked it just fine. But I noticed that the Chinese buffet that we like has a Zojirushi rice maker. So did my Korean friend. And I was super excited when I found one at a yard sale for $5!!! It makes 12 cups, keeps it warm all day long, and the pot it cooks the rice in is super easy to clean. My B&D rice cooker made a layer of crunchy rice on the bottom. I would have to soak the pan for a while, then really scrub hard to clean it. My Zojirushi is a breeze to clean... nothing sticks, I can just wipe it out with a damp cloth! You can't add anything to the rice while cooking it, no oil or salt or anything, which doesn't bother us. Just thought I'd let you know.

Also I think the kind of rice that you makes a difference in how it turns out. I don't know all the differences very well, but here's what I can think of! Uncle Ben's rice (I think it's converted?) comes out nice and not mushy, but more like individual little rice pieces. I always like this rice when my friend makes it. We have noticed that Jasmine rice tends to be a little bit sticky, but we love it! It smells and tastes so good! But we only like it with certain things... we use it with stir fry, or more asian type stuff. We have been trying to eat more brown rice though so that is all we've bought lately.

I hope you find one you like! Ours has sure been worth the $5!!! Oh, and my 7 year old can make it for us! It's really a piece of cake!

Shannon : )

I ADORE my rice cooker. I have a 10 cup Aroma that my husband bought at Costco as a Christmas gift. (Can you imagine the blank look on my face when I opened that gift up? I now love it...we use easily 3x a week). I think it was around $30 at Costco, and is $50 at Amazon. He decided to get the cheaper one first in case we loved it, and decided to get a bigger/more robust one later.

Mine comes with its own rice measuring cup -- you measure out how many cups of dry you want, then fill the water to the corresponding line inside of the removable, nonstick pot, so, 2 cups of rice, fill water to the 2 cup line. This yields approximately 4 cups of rice. Our liner measures to "10 cups of water" and the manual (I just checked) says this will yield approximately 20 cups of rice. So if you wanted to yield 10 cups of cooked rice, you would use 5 cups of dry rice, and fill the water to the 5 cup line.

We always use jasmine or calrose rice, both Asian-style, because we like it stickier.

Features that I like on mine:

• A by-the-hour delay feature: you can delay when the rice will by done by the hour. So let's say you wanted to have rice done at 6:00, you would set it up at 4:00, then set the delay time for 2 hours (this is not based on a clock...it's, "I want my rice done in 1, 2, 3, etc. whole hours.)

• It has a quick rice feature (doesn't mean you use "quick" rice, but that the pre-soak is shortened). The normal cycle is about 30 minutes.

• Brown rice feature

• Countdown readout that starts about 12 minutes before its done.

• Auto warm after the completion of the cooking cycle.

• Vegetable/meat steam basket

• Came with a non-scratch soup ladle and a rice scooper and a place for the scooper or ladle to rest.

• Nonstick liner is a breeze to clean up.

• No hard layer of rice on the bottom -- even after the warm cycle has been on for a while.

I know there are much more expensive models out there, and they may very well be worth the money, but for our family, this one has been just great.

:iagree:

We use the Aroma also from Costco. It does provide a more stickier rice if you use the measure of water they recommend. My husband is Asian and we used the Black & Decker which was a problem also. The Aroma is pressurized which is what I found the ethnic Asians use.

Enjoy!

I also have the Aroma model mentioned here and it works great. We prefer brown and wild rices and it does a great job with both.

:iagree:

I would say get a cheap rice cooker from Costco or Target, the Aroma brand is decent for the cheap end.

Make your decision from that. If you use it a lot and love it, then spend the money on a better one. If you don't, then don't.

We are currently on our 5th rice cooker. #'s 1, 2, & 3 were cheap brands (2 were Aroma and the other I don't remember the brand). #1 died in a house fire (NOT caused by the rice cooker). #2 was "helped" into an early retirement by our movers (it cost more to get replacement parts than it did to purchase another one). #3 we killed. #4 was a nicer brand that I HATED, I was really glad when my son accidently through out an essential part allowing me to purchase #5. #5 is a Tiger. I love love love my Tiger. IT is a Japanese rice cooker and is very simple. Tiger 10 cup

Now, before we leave Japan I'm planning on getting a smaller rice cooker. I really like this one: 3 cup And this is the one I just got my little sister for her wedding gift: 10 Cup

Good luck!

Kris, who can't cook rice either and loves her rice cooker

We have one of the magnetic induction ones. It was tres expensive but we eat rice alot. I also got the Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook. It does a great job and cooks this thing called GABA brown rice without too much thinking on my part. I love our r.c.

The one thing I don't like about my Zoji is that it has a temp sensor that will not restart if the cooker is too hot. Ex: you want to cook 3 cups of white rice and start it going. You decide 15 minutes later that you really needed brown rice instead, so you open it up and dump out everything inside. You load it up with brown rice and water and push START. Mine will not start because the whole thing is too hot and I need to let it cool off a few minutes before it would work again. The indicator says so. If I had to do to again, I would buy a Zoji without this temp fail-safe in it.

I also am a stove-top rice cooking failure. I have a neurofuzzy National brand--I think that's Panasonic. I don't think it's made anymore. It's 10 cups. The capacity it lists is for cooked rice.

I really like mine. It's smarter than I am. It knows when the rice is done!

I like the feature where you can set the timer...if I know we'll have rice for dinner, I set it earlier in the day so I won't forget.

I've also used it for oatmeal. There is a good book for lots of ideas besides just rice.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558322035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251509174&sr=8-1

But now that I look on amazon, there are a number of rice cooker cookbooks that have come out over the last few years. Your library probably has one.

So I don't really have a recommendation for a brand. But you might do well with the rec. for a cheaper brand. The nonstick on mine is starting to peel. I fear I might have to get a new one soon.

I never really "got" why anyone would want a rice cooker. I always thought..."what is wrong with a pan and a timer?" But now I don't know how I'd do without mine!

I got the Zoj Neurofuzzy and I never regret a penny I spent on it. I use it several times per week...no need to make big batches when it is so easy to make just enough for each meal. I can set the timer to have my rice done whenever I like. It is equally easy to do brown rice, as long as you plan early enough to let it cook longer. It makes getting dinner so much easier to be able to set it early in the day...somehow I know that if the rice is done, the thought of getting together the meat and veggie is no big deal! (And I often have the crock pot and rice cooker going together...the ultimate in easy dinner!

I also use it for steel cut oats. I often put the oats and water (with a little cinnamon and a pinch of salt) in the night before and program it to be ready for breakfast...it is great! The Ricer Cooker recipe book is really good too. I have used leftover rice to make desserts and breakfast in the rice cooker as well...

Susu

Hi Susan,

I used to have a Black & Decker rice maker (it was a wedding present) and I liked it just fine. But I noticed that the Chinese buffet that we like has a Zojirushi rice maker. So did my Korean friend. And I was super excited when I found one at a yard sale for $5!!! It makes 12 cups, keeps it warm all day long, and the pot it cooks the rice in is super easy to clean. My B&D rice cooker made a layer of crunchy rice on the bottom. I would have to soak the pan for a while, then really scrub hard to clean it. My Zojirushi is a breeze to clean... nothing sticks, I can just wipe it out with a damp cloth! You can't add anything to the rice while cooking it, no oil or salt or anything, which doesn't bother us. Just thought I'd let you know.

Also I think the kind of rice that you makes a difference in how it turns out. I don't know all the differences very well, but here's what I can think of! Uncle Ben's rice (I think it's converted?) comes out nice and not mushy, but more like individual little rice pieces. I always like this rice when my friend makes it. We have noticed that Jasmine rice tends to be a little bit sticky, but we love it! It smells and tastes so good! But we only like it with certain things... we use it with stir fry, or more asian type stuff. We have been trying to eat more brown rice though so that is all we've bought lately.

I hope you find one you like! Ours has sure been worth the $5!!! Oh, and my 7 year old can make it for us! It's really a piece of cake!

Shannon : )

What Zo model do you have? Does it cook breakfast cereals? That is what I want!!!

Jean

I got my DH an Aroma from Target a couple of years ago. He loves it. Very simple to use and clean. We do use pan spray, otherwise sometimes rice sticks to the bottom--but that could be the fact that when he makes it, it is 'warm' all day. It's not just usually a meal, but an all-day grazing thing.

I have an Aroma, also, that I got at Target. It is awesome. This is my second rice cooker. The first one, my sister got me a long time ago, and it finally quit worker. (I think it was the power cord). We used it a long time.

The Aroma has a food steamer basket to use in it as well, although I have yet to use it. I've never cooked a bad batch of rice with either of my rice cookers.

I also use it for steel cut oats. I often put the oats and water (with a little cinnamon and a pinch of salt) in the night before and program it to be ready for breakfast...it is great! The Ricer Cooker recipe book is really good too. I have used leftover rice to make desserts and breakfast in the rice cooker as well...

Susu

What ratio of water to oats do you use?? What setting do you use? White or brown rice? (yours might have a cereal setting -- I know some do...) Would love to hear! Thanks.

For steel cut oat (one serving) I put in a 1/4 cup of oats, a sprinkle of salt, cinnamon and 1 and 1/4 cups of water. I like my oats thinner...they stir easily once done, but when I pour them in a bowl they are not "watery" but just the right consistency for me. You might have to adjust the water to your taste.

If I do 1/2 cup oats, I generally 2 1/2 cups water. So that is my ratio...

Susu

For steel cut oat (one serving) I put in a 1/4 cup of oats, a sprinkle of salt, cinnamon and 1 and 1/4 cups of water. I like my oats thinner...they stir easily once done, but when I pour them in a bowl they are not "watery" but just the right consistency for me. You might have to adjust the water to your taste.

If I do 1/2 cup oats, I generally 2 1/2 cups water. So that is my ratio...

Susu

Thanks!! Going to set it up tonight as I know I'm coming down with the flu now, and won't want to deal with ANYTHING tomorrow. :001_huh: