Menu

Help with gr. 3 curriculum

3boys1girl

I know this might be asking a lot, but this is my second year homeschooling my oldest boy and I felt a little flustered last year with all that we had to do and figure out how to time things so that we weren't rushing some things at the end of the year and ending too soon for others.

I know the gov't has a general guideline for what kids are supposed to learn, but the outcomes are just too general and I am not sure how much of what to do in order to fulfill each outcome.

I am just looking for someone who has found a good gr. 3 curriculum, but not too much text as my boy doesn't really connect well with this style of learning. I don't mind a workbook for math and english/spelling etc. but not everything.

For gr. 2 we did mon/wed/fri - math/english/

tues/thurs - science/social studies/home and career planning

and we did p.e/bible/piano all 5 days per week

I used singapore math, brainpop.com and brainpopjr.com for social studies and science, and mostly online worksheets for english and various books for reading.

I just get lost looking at the learning outcomes because they are too general.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to offer.

Have you looked at the What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know books by E.D. Hirsch? Here's the link to the one for grade 3. I find that they are a good guideline of what should be covered for each year. Also, have you read the WTM for grammar stage? There is a ton of information and suggestions in there to help you get going. :)

I want my 3rd grader to read fluently and enjoy it. I want her to find things she is excited about in science and touch and feel and experiment with them. I want her practice excellent writing. I want her to be able to find a story that excites her in history that helps her to remember it and connect it with other stories. Along the way we will make real wigwam and pan for gold and bake stuffed pumpkins and make make some slimey stuff in the kitchen.

Here is a link to my third grade plans for this year. I've got to go help with a puzzle and a kid at the sewing machine.

Like, I am drawing a blank for "measure objects and events"!!!

and what content is this referring to?? "ask questions that foster investigations and explorations relevant to the content"[/url]

Don't feel bad. Teacher-ese is it's own language.

An event that could be measured would be, say, a toy car going down a ramp. Did you do that experiment in 4th-8th grade where you build an inclined plane and time a car going down it, then adjust the incline and time it again? That's measuring an event.

As far as what content it's referring to, well, it can really be any content. They want to see that a kid, faced with science information, can come up with intelligent questions and plan ways to answer those questions.

Ah, sounds like you are in B.C. then! Welcome!!!

Singapore math is usually a great fit with B.C. outcomes, if you and your son like it.

We just finished grade 3 science last year. My boy had a great time building with a K'nex Educational Structures & Bridges kit. We took photos of each type built. We didn't have as much of a paper trail for processes and skills, but I was sure to document some of our conversations; and met them in the other two science disciplines.

I have to remind myself not to get too wrapped up in those outcomes - they do indeed tend to obfuscate the simple!!

Have you seen "Building Foundations of Scientific Discovery?" It's inquiry based. It is very flexible, which is good in that you can teach whatever, whenever, however. Of course it is also bad because it requires a lot of prep. Math on the Level is a maths program that works in a similar way.

Rosie

Like, I am drawing a blank for "measure objects and events"!!!

and what content is this referring to?? "ask questions that foster investigations and explorations relevant to the content"

I think they try and make it seem so difficult but it is just "School Wording"

I found a link from GA that explains very simple how you do this. Measuring can be as simple as adding up sides, times, etc. + - x / It doesnt need to be taken harder then that. An object could be a shape, magnet, line, glass of water....events can be time, how much did a plant grow, how much did the water evaporate, change in temperature, etc.

Im not really sure why they need to make the wording so confusing.

Here are a few example I found on how students do this: https://www.georgiastandards.org/standards/Georgia%20Performance%20Standards/ThirdGradeApproved7-12-2004.pdf

We're using AmblesideOnline Yr. 2 and Teaching Textbooks math for our 3rd-grader this year. We also use various workbooks for grammar, science, and Spanish. We spend less than 2 hrs/day on academics and get everything done. Another huge part of his homeschooling consists of homeschool group classes and field trips. No matter which curriculum (or lack thereof) you choose, you will most likely cover any state requirements. I use the Worldbook site as a nice easy general checklist each year. http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum

Thanks!

Yea, we are ok for math, I think we will stick with Singapore math again this year. Bible is also ok as is P.E., Home and Career Planning, and Fine Arts. It is more with Science, Social Studies, and English. I find that the well-trained mind book was a bit dry and not only do I lose myself, but I lose my son as well. He is not that much of a go-getter and therefore, if it seems too much like work, he puts a wall up. That is why, I don't want to only use text books. They would have to be more like a game or fun-looking activity.

I just find that my imagination over the years has deteriorated and I am not unlike an airhead. I am actually finding that homeschooling keeps my own brain in check and I'm sure it will get better as we go along.

I grew up in the public system so it is hard to break habits from that and realize that their are other methods of learning, but even still, I wasn't the teacher in that case so it is definately a learning experience to have to make up your own schedule and make sure all of the outcomes are reached by the end of the year.

I have other kids as well, 4yr old boy, 3yr old boy, and a 19m old girl. I am going to try to work something in for the other kids as well while I am working with my oldest, but finding something for all of their ages and to keep them busy while trying to focus almost overwhelms me to think about right now.

Anyways, yes, to confirm, I am in BC as well.

Thanks again to all who have responded. I have used one lady's idea to start a blog. She didn't suggest it, but I still thought it was a good idea. It put things a bit more into perspective and will also help me to better track my son's progress and communicate with the teacher assigned to us.

It is more with Science, Social Studies, and English.

When we first started hs'ing, I did Science by doing a search by subject at the library. We usually could find enough juvenile books to read about our topic and pick a few projects. Sometimes it was harder to come up with evidence of learning, other than photos and anecdotal comments. More recently we've really loved using R.E.A.L. Science, both Life and Earth & Space. Most of the K-5 topics for those two disciplines are covered. Their worksheets are fun and doable; with the added benefit of an easy paper trail. For physical science, we tend to borrow or purchase kits. If you have a catalogue from Canadian Home Education Resources (CHER), they have a good selection.

Social Studies has been the bane of my existence!! You can get the textbook that covers each year (Outlooks) but personally I hate them - dry, blah. We used Donna Ward's Canada My Country last year for my gr. 1 and 3 kids and loved that. Even though it's not a prescribed outcome, my kids have all enjoyed listening to the Story of the World series at that age... and I like it because we're actually learning something important, rather than simply checking off someone else's agenda. :ack2: (And I'll step off my little soap box now, lol.)

English... well, you can get an inexpensive workbook if that would work. Check out EnglishSmart at Chapter's or Superstore. There's Communicating Skills by Dave Martin.

You can do this!! Good luck!

I have other kids as well, 4yr old boy, 3yr old boy, and a 19m old girl. I am going to try to work something in for the other kids as well while I am working with my oldest, but finding something for all of their ages and to keep them busy while trying to focus almost overwhelms me to think about right now.

For Science, Real science 4 kids isn't too much, Real Science Odyssey is hands-on, and Elemental Science is a nice balance. Rainbow science comes with the lab equipment and looks more doable time-wise.

For your littles, Slow and Steady get me Ready, and preschool packages at MFWbooks.com

Edited by Lovedtodeath