Menu

How much clothing does a 2 year old need?

We adopted one of our daughters friends and she's having a hard time providing for her little one who's about 2 and in 3t clothing. Were getting all her fall and winter clothing. So, here's what I've got so far.

1 heavy winter coat

1 pair of gloves

2 pair of warm fleece pj's

5 pair of jeans

9 tops/turtlenecks

4 sweaters

2 packs of socks-12 pair

2 pair of tights

2 packs of undies-14 pair

I'm going to order her some boots for the snow..they live in Chicago now.

Am I missing anything? It's been along time since I purchased little girl stuff.

Thanks!

I agree with a hat or 2 along with a 2nd pair of gloves. If she is going to play outside a snowsuit (1 pc.) is great or even a pair of snow pants (can often find used). A lighter weight coad for fall would be great.

Depending on how wamr she keps the house, I always doubled up the PJs in the winter. I would put on a pair of knit PJs first and then put a blanket sleeper (those warmer 1 pc. ones) over the top as 2 year old often don't stay under the covers very well.

If they need to use public transportation a great deal, a pair of rain/waterproof boots and a water proof jacket might be very handy for fall and spring.

If you haven't purchased everything yet, what about 3 pairs of jeans and 2-3 pairs of stretch/knit pants?

I'd say get snow pants, another pair of gloves, a winter hat, a fall jacket, a dress (or 2), and maybe another pair of pajamas. At 2, she may have leaky diapers and/or wet the bed, so it's helpful to have extras. If you are also getting shoes, get one pair of sneakers and one pair of nicer shoes - maybe mary janes. It's kind of you to do this for her!

I second the thermal underwear. Also, if you can get the long pjs that are not fleece or sleepers, that could help. Our dcs couldn't sleep in the blanket sleepers, because they were too warm so we went with sweat pants and t-shirts, until they hit their superhero pj faze :)

Lots of socks. Tons of socks.

Sweats too, I know a lot of people don't like them, but they're great for around the house and warm.

What about heavy tights? The thick ones little girls can wear with skirts when it's cold out?

Thanks so much for the guidance! :D

I just ordered 2 cute dresses, heavy tights 4 pair, 3 sweat pants and 3 tops to match, and fall fleece jacket and a snowsuit and water proof gloves, hat and more pj's. She just got new shoes, so we will send money when she needs to replace those. I think the little one should be in good shape for fall and winter. Can't wait to shop for spring and summer next year. ;)