Menu

My first time butchering chickens. (Graphic content)

I remember the first time my dad butchered our chickens in high school. I was on the phone in the kitchen and looked out the kitchen sliding door to see him wring one's neck. I wasn't expecting it so it was kind of a shock. I ended up having to go outside to help pluck feathers.

I think it's great that your kids get to see and experience where their food comes from.

Thanks so much for sharing.

I was interested to read your opinion of the dual breeds. I have several dual breeds as laying hens and I just can't imagine eating them at 16 weeks. They aren't particularly meaty. Will you post after you get and butcher the Cornish crosses?

So, what made you decide to skin them rather than pluck them. And finally, how did you wrap them to store them in the fridge?

I just processed my first a couple of weeks ago, and got around to eating her this past weekend (cornish rock that lived life too well @ 14 weeks) They're not meant to live past 8 weeks or thier hearts give out their legs break and they're pitfully miserable. I, being a compassionate person just kept feeding this beast until it almost couldn't get up. I finally called a local farmer and asked what to do. Butcher it of course. But I didn't know how and frankly, I didn't want to learn. His answer? "You're a farmer now." Huh, so I was. He told me in very short terms how to do the deed, Google helped with the rest. All hail Google. Mom and I processed it. (That's the farming nice word for plucking and gutting it.) All which was incredibly easy.

Eating the bugger was the hard part. So I waited until the kids and I had forgotten That Day, and he just became a chicken in the freezer.

If you have ever read The Omnivore's Dilemma, you may understand it when I say there was a reverence to cooking and eating this bird. Mom and Dad came over for dinner and we thanked Goliath for his life, and for our meal. Mom and Dad are headed out west to Washington (driving) on a 3 week vacay, so it was a perfect Bon Voyage. Goliath himself was tough (they're serious about the 8 weeks-he was a small turkey). I really should have stewed him, but nonetheless he was delicious and I'm making soup tomorrow. (I also understand it when people tell you that store chickens are tasteless. They are.)

Also, I learned from Goliath, and this might help you, too. Get a road cone and nail it, upside down to a wall. Put the chicken upside down in that and slit it's neck. That way he doesn't break any bones before he bleeds out which yucks up the meat. (that brown on the bone when you cook it is a poor bleed job)

And my other mistake was my scald pot was too hot. 110 or less. Too hot water will make you rip the skin when you pluck. The plucking was the easiest part. The feathers just brushed off.

I am definitely going to be culling my herd when the time comes, and buying some more cornish rocks.

Don't you fell empowered? I did. I was so proud of myself.

My sil taught me to do it without any blood and without chcken drama/trauma. I know everyone has their own way, of course.

If you gently (quickly) snap their necks while they are in your arms, and then hang them upside down before you pluck etc., there will not be one single drop of blood. No running around, either. They die quickly and simply in a second with the head snap. When you dip them in hot boiling water to pluck, the blood in the neck cooks and turns to pudding.

I'm getting ready to butcher mine for the first time. Very interesting to see your experience. I noticed that book, would that be the Encyclopedia of Country Living? Same book I'm using. Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa

Yes, it is the Encyclopedia of Country Living. I love love love that book. It was very helpful.

Thanks so much for sharing.

I was interested to read your opinion of the dual breeds. I have several dual breeds as laying hens and I just can't imagine eating them at 16 weeks. They aren't particularly meaty. Will you post after you get and butcher the Cornish crosses?

So, what made you decide to skin them rather than pluck them. And finally, how did you wrap them to store them in the fridge?

I will be glad to post after we get the crosses. I'm not sure when I'll get them though.

I usually don't ever use the skin on chickens. The only real use I see with the skin is with frying. I guess it would be good for soups too. I fry chicken maybe 1-2 times a year.

I found an interesting way to wrap them for the freezer. You put them in a bag, kind of like a produce bag or very small trash bag. Then, you dip the bag in the sink filled with warm water (being sure not to let any water back in the bag) the warm water expels the air and creates and airtight seal over the whole bird. I also put them in another bag just to make sure they were good and sealed. I checked on them this afternoon and they were frozen solid with no ice crystals at all.

My sil taught me to do it without any blood and without chcken drama/trauma. I know everyone has their own way, of course.

If you gently (quickly) snap their necks while they are in your arms, and then hang them upside down before you pluck etc., there will not be one single drop of blood. No running around, either. They die quickly and simply in a second with the head snap. When you dip them in hot boiling water to pluck, the blood in the neck cooks and turns to pudding.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but could you elaborate more on the, er, technique you use to snap their neck? I am always so afraid that I won't do it right and cause unnecessary trauma. That probably sounds really silly in light of the fact that I actually want to KILL it, but I want to be as gentle/humane as possible in the process. I'm a nurse, so my first instinct is to give it a little morphine first, lol :tongue_smilie:, but the hospital frowns on us taking that stuff home, even if we promise to only use it for chicken processing :glare:. Feel free to PM the details if you feel it might be to graphic. Thanks,

Debra

Another option to the cornish cross that is less disgusting, and can actually forage for some of its own food, are the Freedom Rangers from jmhatchery.com . They may be a bit more expensive, but you will have less losses than with the cornish-crosses, and may stand a decent chance of raising them much easier naturally or organically, since they aren't prone to disease and organ failure like the cornish-cross. They do take a few more weeks to grow out, but apparently their ability to forage helps cut the feed costs incurred from that extra time. They are also very attractive birds. Backyardchickens.com has a ton of info on them, and someone recently had a grow-out journal of their experience with them. I haven't branched out into raising meat birds yet, but when I do, this is definitely the breed I will use.

Debra

Chicken feet make wonderful broth! Don't throw them away until you boil them up first! (I don't recommend saving the feet from old chickens, howevr).

On snapping necks. The man was right-handed, and he held the chicken securely in his left arm, one wing against his body, the other wing against his inner arm, his left palm on the chicken's breast. The chicken was perfectly still and calm. He put his right hand on the chickens head and his thumb around the neck and gave a quick, firm twist to the right. I didn't even realize he'd done it right away, it was so fast. That was that.

I have never done this. ;)

Chicken feet make wonderful broth! Don't throw them away until you boil them up first! (I don't recommend saving the feet from old chickens, howevr).

On snapping necks. The man was right-handed, and he held the chicken securely in his left arm, one wing against his body, the other wing against his inner arm, his left palm on the chicken's breast. The chicken was perfectly still and calm. He put his right hand on the chickens head and his thumb around the neck and gave a quick, firm twist to the right. I didn't even realize he'd done it right away, it was so fast. That was that.

I have never done this. ;)

I never knew you could make broth with the feet. Interesting. :lol: Thanks!

Well, I thought my disclaimer at the beginning of this post was enough of a warning. Someone from here left a comment that I was a murderer.

Interesting. I'll have to digest that for a while.

Everyone has a different perspective. That is certainly not mine.

;)

Oh, good grief. :rolleyes:

Well, despite that opinion, I really appreciate your blog and this post! I am worlds away from being anything close to a farmer, but I sometimes dream about what that life would be like. So thank you! And...I totally understand why you'd want to do it yourself. Way to go!

Edited by ~Kirsten~
because (ahem) I left out the quote

Well, I thought my disclaimer at the beginning of this post was enough of a warning. Someone from here left a comment that I was a murderer.

Interesting. I'll have to digest that for a while.

Everyone has a different perspective. That is certainly not mine.

;)

Oh, good grief. Ridiculous. I would say you are one brave lady. You've got all my admiration. My chickens go to the local homegrown poultry processing plant. You drop them off alive, with feathers, pick them up a few hours later neatly processed in freezer bags. Of course, by the time we paid for it we did not save any money, but they sure taste good.

Oh, your post was a delight to read, pictures and all.

Janet

Oh, good grief. Ridiculous. I would say you are one brave lady. You've got all my admiration. My chickens go to the local homegrown poultry processing plant. You drop them off alive, with feathers, pick them up a few hours later neatly processed in freezer bags. Of course, by the time we paid for it we did not save any money, but they sure taste good.

Oh, your post was a delight to read, pictures and all.

Janet

How much do they charge for this?

Blessings,

Lisa

How much different do you think it is to butcher a turkey? Our neighbors just offered us one of their HUGE turkeys. My mouth waters just looking at him. I'm thinking, same idea, just bigger?

Blessings,

Lisa

Hmmmmm. I'm thinking it is probably the same kind of thing. I have not researched it yet though. Let me look it up in my Encyclopedia of Country Living. I'm sure it will be in there. It is my Country Bible. :lol:

We butcher our our own as well...our 4H birds.

Because we have to butcher around 75, we have set up an assebmly line. We suspend traffic cones hung upside down from the trees. Put the bird in with it's head haning out of the end, then slit it's throat and let the blood drain out. Since we have several cones hanging, we can really get a process going, doing several birds at a time. (We also skip the "plucking" by skinning them.) Then they get moved into the house where "mom & the girls" quarter them. Best thing we bought to help with all of this is one of those vacuum sealing machines!

http://omelays.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-had-no-idea.html

Thought I would share one of my fav blogs with all of you. For those who like the skin but dont want to pluck check this out. I have seen the machine on a few other blogs but never with the rave review they give in the blog!

We had a horrible time butchering our chickens a few years ago. So horrible that we haven't bought any since. We are planning on ordering the cornish hens here in the next two weeks though. That way we can get them grown before the snow flies and stock the freezer. :)

ETA: Oh and if you want to see the whizbang in action search on youtube. There are some pretty interesting videos!

Edited by caitlinsmom

(We also skip the "plucking" by skinning them.)

You know, that's not a bad idea. We really don't eat chicken skin (don't get me wrong . . . I can rip the crispy skin off a roasted chicken and inhale it while I'm carving, but trying to eat healthier now :D). Is it much easier to skin it than pluck it?

Blessings,

Lisa

What did you have the most trouble with?

Lisa

Definatly the plucking as it seemed those poor birds came out mangled! The skin was torn like mad and we were being careful when we did it. Also because it was out first time and we were skittish about the whole thing, we didnt have nice clean cuts on the feet. It wasn't the most pretty to look at when we were done.

However they tasted fantastic so in the end it was okay. I think we just needed to read a little more to get the right technique. Alot of the suggestions here will help with the process next time (like the cones for bleeding).