Menu

What do you use for Art in K?

scgirl816

I don't have many art supplies around my house. It's just not something I'm into doing. :( I wish that I were...it's just such a mess to clean up, and I hardly get my house clean as it is. I've GOT to get into a better routine this year, though, and start giving my kids a love for art. What book do you use for Kindergarten?

Thanks!

Rebekah

Evan-Moor's How to Teach Art to Children available at Amazon here. This book guides you in helping your children explore the 5 fundamental elements of art. The materials required are very basic. The projects are simple. It's very easy to implement. We're using this in our co-op this year.

Mona Brookes' Drawing With Children available at Amazon here. This book takes more of a commitment to implement. You have to do a fair amount of reading and thinking to implement this program-I am speaking from a completely non-artsy/craftsy mom perspective here. The supply list is simple but could be more costly if you invest in quality supplies, which she recommends. My son took the Monart classes last year, and I wanted to be able to continue that at home, to whatever extent we can, and also give my daughter a chance to explore drawing this way. I am going to really try to spend one 30-45 min session a week using this book. I'm sure I'll be blogging about it.

We used A Beka's K book last year. It is full of simple cut, paste, paint activities. My oldest is VERY into art so I used Artistic Pursuits with her and moved at a slow pace. My youngest has NO interest in art at all. I thought I would use Artistic Pursuits with her starting this year, but she wasn't interested.:glare: I bought her the next A Beka book. :001_smile:

HTH!

Dorinda

Also using Artistic Pursuits here (starting with the preschool book, but perhaps starting the K-3 books early 2010). I just ordered all the supplies up to K-3 book 2, so excited!

Also, we got tons of arts and craft books and other art curriculums, but AP is our main one.

I just used a bunch of "How to Draw 50 _____" books from the library. They work amazingly well, both my children can now draw better than me! (Of course, that's a very low standard, but still...) We eventually bought a similar book on sale from the bookstore that has 100's of different types of things to draw. We also have Ralph Masiello's Bug Drawing Book, it is great. Paper, crayon, colored pencils are all you need, way less mess than typical art projects.

I keep certain things stocked because it makes life easier. The basics like glue, scissors, markers, crayons, finger paints, water colors, Play-Doh, colored pencils, glitter, paper plates, etc. I have some books, but often come up with something based on our interests at the time or go online for free ideas.

You may pick projects based upon the holiday, season, or topic of interest and look at online sites for project ideas. Also, I keep some Kumon cutting and pasting books handy because they are always a big hit when I am not prepared with an idea.

Here are some art sites which may be helpful:

http://www.dltk-kids.com/

http://www.everythingpreschool.com/art/crafts.htm

http://www.preschoolexpress.com/art_station.shtml

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/

I tie in our art projects to our GTG-inspired country study. The books I have for that are Geography Through Art and Around the World Art Activities (I think the series is Little Hands). We've also used Ed Emberley's thumbprint book and Usborne's I Can Crayon. Pretty much whatever we can find at the library. :D I also got a lot of ideas from blogs by art teachers. My favorites are The Crafty Crow, Deep Space Sparkle and Art Projects for Kids. (I'd provide links, but the hyperlink button is not working for me right now. Maybe it doesn't like Firefox??). Once we're done with the country study, I'm planning on moving on to Artistic Pursuits. ~Rabia

We are going to use Little Annie's Art Book it looks girly on the cover but it's about etiquette and manners.

We have this (had to buy a second for 3.5 yo little sissy, too...she loves it SO MUCH) and also use "How to Teach Art to Children". It is NOT flashy or cute even, but good solid art theory. My girls really love it, and feel like they are doing something grown up and real.

Coming back to this, as 3 days ago I added to my link list, especially for "Art Inspiration" type blogs!

Art Inspirations

Crafts for Kids

Please, if anyone has any other high quality, updated frequently, full of color, favorites, let me know!