Menu

If you have used (or are using) SWR to teach reading, can you help me please?

HappyGrace

I have a few questions. Did you feel it was a complete phonics program? Did your dc get confused with the different sounds the phonograms make when they try to transfer it over to reading? (How do they know which sound to choose?) Do they understand the markings? And my biggest question: did you have them fill in the reference pages, and if so, how did that go?

I'm asking because I used SWR with my older dd once she could read, and we both HATED those reference pages. IMO, they were too much even for an 8yo! I generally LOVED the idea behind SWR, but it just seemed like overkill, with all the markings and so on. We didn't get very far.

Now I've been through Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons with ds6, and he can basically read, but he definitely needs lots of phonics work and still needs work nailing down the more unusual phonograms. Like I said, I love SWR's philosophy, and I'm thinking of trying it with ds as a way to further his reading and give him a lot of phonics, but I'm wondering how others have done it-did you streamline it, or do it as written? I would love any details you could share-thanks!

I can't believe I'm even asking this-I have such a love/hate relationship with SWR!

Did you feel it was a complete phonics program? I have taught 3 to read and write using SWR. Yes, I fell it is a complete phonics program.

Did your dc get confused with the different sounds the phonograms make when they try to transfer it over to reading? They had no problem at all, it was harder for me:)

How do they know which sound to choose?When you start introducing the spelling rules it will explain the spelling rule and how that applies to the correct phonogram.

Do they understand the markings?YES! Surprisingly, I found it to be the BEST part of the program.

Did you have them fill in the reference pages, and if so, how did that go?Yes, every year as well as review throughout the year. It is a very important step that should not be misssed.

I'm asking because I used SWR with my older dd once she could read, and we both HATED those reference pages. IMO, they were too much even for an 8yo!I wrote it out for my dd until she could do it. I also did them over several days, I kept lessons short.

I can't believe I'm even asking this-I have such a love/hate relationship with SWR!I have the same relationship. Every time I veered off to something else, it just never did the job quite as well as SWR. I only use in now for my two younger kiddos. My 5th grader tested out of the spelling and I know her spelling skills are a product of using SWR for so many years.

I am using SWR with my third (and final) child. I used it with my first 2 who were in private school at the time--I felt that learning to read was too important to leave to a mere educational professional and wanted to make sure I had that covered at home.

1. Yes, I felt like it was a complete phonics program. All 3 of mine (11, 9 and 5) are excellent readers. The 11 yo was a natural and could have learned using any (or no) program. It took me literally maybe 4 hours of instruction using SWR to get her reading. The 9 yo is not such a natural (language arts are not her "thing") but was reading 2 years ahead of grade level in first grade and probably still is. She is also an excellent speller. The 5 yo, after a slow start during which we reviewed the phongram cards oh, maybe once or twice a week, just took off this summer and is now reading easily on a 2nd grade level.

2. The basic rule is that the sounds are on the card in order by their frequency: the most common sound is first, the least is last. You try each one, with some exceptions, until the word sounds right. This sounds harder than it is.

3. Yes, even my 5 yo, who is on week 2 of doing the markings, gets it. We dropped the markings after about first grade.

4. Never did reference pages. Seemed unnecessarily complicated.

5. I agree on the love-hate, but it is an incredibly efficient way to teach reading. I loved that about it--it is straight phonics and very, very fast. I taught all 3 of mine using just the phonogram cards, starting at age 4, just now and again, a few minutes here and there, and all were reading fluently by 5. We added in the markings and spelling words later, but the phonogram and spelling rule cards were by far my favorite parts of the program.

6. I did not do it as written. I never used handwriting or the reference pages, and I dropped the markings after they had the phonics mastered.

Hope that helps.

Terri

Happy, you need to give yourself a license to cheat on SWR, lol. Anything you hate, dump, tweak, or fix, kwim? Reference sheets? Well Sanseri has an adorable lower level log that has abbreviated versions of the worksheets in the back and big spaces to write. I don't see the difficulty or torture there, but that's me. I would do them. But you know, for K5 you do a lot of the writing for them. If you're using the Chart Masters instead of the lower level log book, you could do the writing for him. Or blow the chart masters up big onto 11X17 paper and fill them out together. Just flex it a little, kwim? I think the exercise itself is worthwhile.

Haven't done a diagnostic test in a while. I should do one and see. Dd continued to move forward on the diagnostics even without SWR. She's not a natural speller, and SWR was such torture for her. I figured as long as she kept moving forward, we'd just move on. Not ideal, but you have to stop damage to the soul, kwim? And yes, SWR is the kind of thing that cuts you to the quick, convincing you you're scalping your kid otherwise, lol.

Thorough phonics? Oh, I don't know. Just memorize the phonograms and sounds and he'd be 80% there. We recited rules for years, and she forgot them when we stopped. We could go back over them, or she'll refresh when she hears me teaching ds.

Have fun deciding what to do. There's certainly no one right way to do this, and he'll probably be fine no matter what you do. In fact, he'll probably be fine if you do nothing and just let him read. He did just go through a phonics program, after all.

Did you feel it was a complete phonics program? Absolutely. I like that it teaches the phonograms quickly. It isn't about mastering them the first time around, but showing the child the tools to read. My 5yo wanted to know what some Transformers' names were yesterday and I informed him that he could sound it out. We've only covered 45 phonograms, but the names only contained those. He was excited about that. It's cool when you can sound out "Blackarachnia." What is it missing for you? If you want your child reading leveled readers quickly, SWR might be problematic. They could do it, but that's not how the program is set up. I like the delayed reading because we're building a solid foundation.

Did your dc get confused with the different sounds the phonograms make when they try to transfer it over to reading? (How do they know which sound to choose?) I thought my ds would get confused, but he hasn't. We're only on list D, but he is learning that the phonogram sounds are set up so that the first sound is the most common one. The key is the dictation method. You tell them which phonogram to use for a particular sound. For example, I told him to use /ch/, /k/, /sh/ for the /k/ in school. The enrichments during the week will help him remember which phonogram we use for a particular sound. I really like working with the phonograms. It explains a lot about our language and makes it easier for my ds since there aren't many exceptions. He is a very logical child, so the rules are right up his alley. It is definitely harder for me since I wasn't taught to read this way, but I'm learning. I'm going to teach my sister (30yo) to spell using this method. She has always been an atrocious speller and I think SWR could help her. I think we could do it in a couple of months. She's excited about it.

Do they understand the markings? The markings are my ds's favorite part of the program. We started on List A and only do 10 words a week (because he's 5) so we haven't gotten marking overload. In fact, he wants more words/week just so he can mark them. Because we're going so slow, he's had a chance to understand them.

And my biggest question: did you have them fill in the reference pages, and if so, how did that go? We are going through all of the reference pages as they are scheduled. We have the primary log book so there isn't much writing for him. I wrote out the Consonant/Vowel page for him (as we talked about it), but he's done the rest. One thing that has helped us is that my ds likes to "teach" the reference pages to his little brother and my dh after we're done. If he were still having trouble with writing, I wouldn't have any problem writing the pages for him. Wanda recommends that in the book.

In short, I'm dong SWR as written. It's my first time, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I don't feel like I'm experienced enough to make any modifications. However, we are enjoying the program so I don't think we'll be making any major changes.

I feel a little bit better now. I'm probably going to tweak, but sounds like I still need to do the reference pages. He is a just-the-facts kind of kid and hates all this explanation-that's how dd was too, and that's why I'm not sure it will work. No way to tell but to try though!

I did the primary learning log with dd, and she still hated it. Maybe if I introduce the ref. pages more slowly, I'm thinking. I'm going to start the phonograms anyway-glad to know they are not confusing! Then I'll take it from there.

Thanks for the great responses! I've read them over twice and will probably read them again-so helpful!

I have tweaked SWR too. I don't want to offer advice though b/c I still feel like I'm finding my own way LOL.

I'm actually going back to the beginning and doing it as written (mostly:tongue_smilie:).

We've used magnet letters, used the words for copywork, focused more on phonograms (going through words on the white board to focus on one phonogram at a time)... I feel like all of this has served to work ds6 up to the point where he can go through as written without the scalping OhElizabeth described.:lol:

The whole thing, as written, is a LOT for a little one. I have to spread things out, balancing the need for exposure to more words and keeping lessons short and sweet. I've done well this week to quiz about 20words per day (some new, some review), 10 phonograms per day and dictate a couple sentences and manage to work in a reference page. There is a LOT more I want to do in a week...but he's 6...and wiggly....and DONE after 25min MAX!

It does help to have a phonogram time early in the am on the white board....I doesn't feel like spelling work that way.:tongue_smilie:

I'm probably going to tweak, but sounds like I still need to do the reference pages. He is a just-the-facts kind of kid and hates all this explanation-that's how dd was too, and that's why I'm not sure it will work. No way to tell but to try though!

The reference pages seem tedious but they really connect the dots. With my little one, I will spread the reference pages out over several days. For example, we may work 10 minutes on the reference page (I tell my dd that it will count as her handwriting work if she uses her best handwriting:))Then we would do 5 minutes on phonograms (only the ones she has trouble with), then we will go over words she has misses and mark them( 10 minutes). I would sometimes do that for several days just to break up having to do the reference pages in one day. Then we go at regular speed when we get back on the lists.

SWR has love/hate written all over it!

As for the reference pages.... this would be *really* cheating (definitely not SWR philosophy).... but you could write/type the reference pages yourself and just have your dc read through one every day. He would get the benefit of seeing the exmples of each rule/phonogram/whatever without doing the writing. And because he'd be reading through a reference page every day (or three times/week or pick one and repeat it three times/week) - he would be getting more repetition with them - maybe even do it in conjunction with whichever rule you're working on that week and kill two birds with one stone.

I was tempted to buy the chart masters because I thought they were reference pages already completed.... when I realized they were just blanks I decided to forget it. If I bring SWR back into our lives, I'm definitely typing up reference pages in word or excel and just reading through them.

just .02 from someone procrastinating housecleaning :D

These last two are exactly my plan! I have letter tiles, etc., and I plan to mix it up and make it enjoyable with the tiles, whiteboard, etc. I love the idea of spreading the ref pages way out and doing just short sessions. Even if we only get through a portion of it this year-it will be great progress in the right direction! Thank you!

You sound like me-when I first tried it with older dd, I bought BOTH how-to videos, LIVED on the yahoo group and printed many, many pages from it, did my own log book, and spent about a week in the summer studying it for HOURS per day while my dc were with their grandparents. I love the program, but I wish it were more like AAS in its implementation!

That's why even looking at the SWR books makes both me and dd shudder! I dread doing it with ds. I'll probably only use it for awhile to solidify phonics (along with some other things I have) and then move on to dictation for spelling, maybe incorporating the SWR rule cards into our dictation (I'm going to try this with older dd this year and see if it's effective.)

Your first paragraph has excellent instructions-thanks!

Happy, since you hate SWR so much, don't use it. That's what I thought of, as I read back through your post. You're not just wanting to use it a different way, you're wanting to be thorough without using it at all. Have you looked at AAS? I think it would be fun and something totally different. I'll bet it would fit your boy nicely. Ok, I have no clue, not knowing him, lol, but I don't see how it could be any worse. It's always nice to try something new with the next child. You hate SWR. Sell it and get AAS. That's my two cents. You have my permission, magic money dust (the kind that makes money appear for spontaneous insanity), and blessing. Besides, I want to know what it's like. Maybe I'd use it with my little one too. :)

PS. I like the Spelling Plus Dictation Resource book Michele mentioned. (I'm the one who got her onto it, hehe.) But you'd have to teach him the rules and phonograms if you wanted to apply them to it. It's not hard, but AAS would be sort of an inbetween.

I had and sold AAS 1 AND 2. I prayed it would be the easy-to-use SWR. It wasn't. It takes three or more levels to intro all the phonograms. It does word families almost exclusively. After SWR, I just couldn't do it for those reasons! Older dd is a natural speller, and it confuses her to have word family type spelling. I suspect ds, who is very logical, will be the same way.

I was SO happy when I finally gave up on SWR for dd. Maybe you're right-I tried to take the SWR out to look at it, and almost got a panic attack. I don't know what it is about that stupid program!!!!!! It is the ultimate love/hate.

Maybe I'll just do the fun little Happy Phonics games and some ETC with my little guy and be done and move on to dictation for spelling. I will take a look at Spelling Plus too-thanks!

:001_smile:I love SWR but I butchered it. I horribly butchered it but I think it has worked better for us.:001_smile:

First, I picked out word to go with the various sounds of the single letter phonograms that made that sound and that the word would make a nice picture that would include the shape of the letter. (I have very visual learners.) B is for butterfly and I would draw a butterfly in the shape of a B. These were colorful.

Then for multiletter phonograms, I just came up with words and sentences that I could draw pictures for to make them more memorable.

Now, we are making notebooking pages to illustrate the various phonograms and rules before we do a list. When we do a list we are also using the task cards like those used in spelling power (I found most of mine on teacher's sites and downloaded them for free) and are working with our spelling words for about a week so that we know them. And I finish out the week by dictating them. We just started this last process so we will see how it works.

I write regularly on my blog about what we do so you can check back in a few weeks and see how it is going. I try to do weekly check-ins.

Happy,

I have a schedule on my blog for using SWR with my 5yo. It might help if you really want to use SWR instead of switching to another program. It is really SLOW and we've been doing great. I am using the program as written, but I think it looks a lot different for a 5yo than an 8yo. KWIM? My main goal was for him to start getting the jist of the program, but not spend too much time on it or make it stressful.

We don't follow it exactly, but it keeps me moving throughout the week. My ds already knew the first 26 phonograms and picked up how to write them very quickly, so we didn't spend much time on that. The first four days of my schedule could be spread out over a few weeks as Wanda suggests in the book.

I wouldn't be able to use AAS for the same reasons so I understand where you're coming from. I like the concept, but it wouldn't work for us.

Dinsfamily-this looks like exactly what I need but I can't get the schedule to come up for me! I clicked on Download and nothing happened. Any way you can email it to me? Half-speed might really work well, and give us plenty of time to do enrichment and other phonics games, etc. I'm really interested in seeing your schedule! Thanks! Love your blog!

I had and sold AAS 1 AND 2. I prayed it would be the easy-to-use SWR. It wasn't. It takes three or more levels to intro all the phonograms. It does word families almost exclusively. After SWR, I just couldn't do it for those reasons! Older dd is a natural speller, and it confuses her to have word family type spelling. I suspect ds, who is very logical, will be the same way.

Some people easily get around that by getting the phonogram cards and introducing all of the letters up front. And while word families are the general means of introducing new spellings, they are not the main mode for teaching and reviewing. Words are used in dictation, and they continue to show up in future dictations, so they are mixed up that way, plus the review cards are meant to be mixed up, not kept in order--so there again they are mixed up. They are only introduced incrementally in like patterns so that a child doesn't have to learn how to spell the E sound 3 or 4 ways at once, for example. However, later, after mastering two or more ways to spell a sound, the program will mix up words with similar sounds to see if kids can sort them. I've actually found that the program does a lot with mixing up words through these various avenues. Still might not be for you, I understand :).

Merry :-)

closeacademy-can you explain the notebooking a little more? And what task cards are? Your idea sounds very intriguing!!!

Dinsfamily-off to check it out-thanks!

What I did with the notebooking is like we just got creative. I would take a white piece of paper, go to the next rule or phonogram that we need to learn before we start a list (I went through the book a few years ago and typed up a list of words arranged according to rule and phonogram in order of how they are introduced in the lists), and then I get creative.

Example: For the phonogram "sh," I would write at the top of the page "words begin or end in sh" and then I would draw a ship and write the word ship with the markings and on the bottom draw a fish and mark that word as well. Now they have a visual key of this rule and what sound the phonogram sh makes.

Some pictures from my blog of what we did: http://closeacademy.blogspot.com/2009/07/weekly-report-4th-grade.html In the picture you can see the drawing of the queen for qu and the vowel chart we made with pictures to go with some of the sounds of the vowels. Now I did give y 4 sounds because I added in the E sound at the end of a word. (Like I said I butchered it because I want my children to be able to hear the words and we don't use the pronounciation of some words like they do in Oregon where the program was written so I switch words to match how we say them.)

For spelling task cards basically they are little fun cards in an index box that have ideas like: write your words in one color and do it over in another color and another until you have a rainbow, or arrange your words in ABC order and things like that. I also made cards like use letter tiles to spell your words, use stampers to spell your words, use stencil to spell your words, use magnet letters to spell your words, etc.

Here is a link to a site that has a lot of different task cards: http://www.catawba.k12.nc.us/c_i_resources/Summer%20Staff%20Development.htm

I hope this helps. We just thought that it was boring to just do the lists and charts but this way it makes things fun. It goes slower but who cares, we've got time and we will get through all the lists by the end of 8th grade anyway.:001_smile:

Christy-I had gone to your blog last night and got a better idea, but the explanation was helpful too, thanks! I also cked out the links to the task cards from your blog-I had never heard of this before and I loved it! This would be a good thing for either dc to do if they get down time while I'm working with the other child. The notebooking is such a creative idea-I hadn't heard of NBing for spelling before!

Merry-thank you for explaining about how AAS ends up mixing things up as they go along so it doesn't remain word families. It's just that the way they introduce them as word families seems to mix my dd up more than help her-it's something about the way she categorizes them in her mind from seeing them in her reading-she is very visual and then seeing them all together starts her getting them confused rather than helping! I know it is a GREAT program and I truly wish we could use it!