Menu

Quick! Can someone PLEASE help me with these recipe questions?!

Ok, I'm going to try to make the Chocolate Zucchini Cupcake recipe that MyCrazyHouse linked to a few weeks ago. But I've never baked with zucchini before, and frankly, I still feel kinda dumb sometimes when it comes to basic baking knowledge. :tongue_smilie: So here are my questions:

1) The recipe calls for 1/4 c. melted butter and 3/4 c. vegetable oil for the cupcake batter. Can I just use 1 c. melted butter? Or can I use 1/2 c. melted butter and 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil? I prefer to use butter or olive oil over most other fats.

2) The recipe calls for 2 c. grated zucchini. Should I measure out the 2 c. BEFORE or AFTER I wring all the water out of the zucchini?

3) Should I peel the skin off the zucchini before I grate it for baking with?

Ok, any answers or tips would be great. I'm planning to make them this afternoon (with my two little 'helpers' :001_smile:) to serve after dinner tonight to our company.

Ok, I'm going to try to make the Chocolate Zucchini Cupcake recipe that MyCrazyHouse linked to a few weeks ago. But I've never baked with zucchini before, and frankly, I still feel kinda dumb sometimes when it comes to basic baking knowledge. :tongue_smilie: So here are my questions:

1) The recipe calls for 1/4 c. melted butter and 3/4 c. vegetable oil for the cupcake batter. Can I just use 1 c. melted butter? Or can I use 1/2 c. melted butter and 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil? I prefer to use butter or olive oil over most other fats.

2) The recipe calls for 2 c. grated zucchini. Should I measure out the 2 c. BEFORE or AFTER I wring all the water out of the zucchini?

Ok, any answers or tips would be great. I'm planning to make them this afternoon (with my two little 'helpers' :001_smile:) to serve after dinner tonight to our company.

1. I wouldn't hesitate to use all butter. I personally don't like to bake with olive oil but it is a personal preference.

2. I have never wrung the water out of the zucchini so I don't know that one.

3. I never peel before I grate zucchini.

Yes, I would substitute the butter, but I wouldn't use EVOO (IMO, changes the flavor perceptibly).

Does the recipe call for wringing the liquid out of the zucchini? If not, I wouldn't. In the recipes I have that call for zucchini, the liquid in the zuke is part of of what makes the baked good so moist. MyCrazyHouse could probably say for sure on that one.

I never peel the zuke before I add it. It maintains more nutrients and fiber that way, and should be hidden easily in your cupcakes.

HTH!

Does the recipe call for wringing the liquid out of the zucchini? If not, I wouldn't. In the recipes I have that call for zucchini, the liquid in the zuke is part of of what makes the baked good so moist. MyCrazyHouse could probably say for sure on that one.

MyCrazyHouse did tell me to wring the zucchini, but didn't say if I should do that before or after I measure it. Maybe I'll try sending her a pm...

Ok, so it's ok to use all butter, and I won't peel the zucchini. (I was hoping you don't have to peel it, as I think I've learned that lots of the good vitamins and what not live in the peel of fruit/veggies, right? :001_smile:)

Thanks so much ladies!

Oh...dear. I have all the ingredients but buttermilk, AND some free time this afternoon. Mmmmmm *slurp*!

MyCrazyHouse (or Angela, as I'm sure people refer to her IRL, LOL), mentioned to me that you can 'sour' some regular milk by adding a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to it, and substitue that for the buttermilk. Who knew? Well, ok, probably lots of people on here knew that. But not me! But since I had to go to the store to get some other things, I picked up some buttermilk, too. (Embarrasingly, this will be my first recipe EVER that I've used zucchini and buttermilk! But, I've been embracing lots of new food experiences lately. :))

MyCrazyHouse (or Angela, as I'm sure people refer to her IRL, LOL), mentioned to me that you can 'sour' some regular milk by adding a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to it, and substitue that for the buttermilk. Who knew? Well, ok, probably lots of people on here knew that. But not me! But since I had to go to the store to get some other things, I picked up some buttermilk, too. (Embarrasingly, this will be my first recipe EVER that I've used zucchini and buttermilk! But, I've been embracing lots of new food experiences lately. :))

:lol: I did know that, actually (sorry!), but it's really just not the same. I like the thick, creamy grocery store buttermilk for the texture it adds, and I can certainly pass by the store on my way to run errands!

If you're dealing with too much zucchini, I have a terrific bread-machine bread recipe (a sandwich-type bread, not a quickbread) and a great chocolate chip cookie recipe that use zucchini too. Let me know if you care to have either one.

:lol: I did know that, actually (sorry!), but it's really just not the same. I like the thick, creamy grocery store buttermilk for the texture it adds, and I can certainly pass by the store on my way to run errands!

If you're dealing with too much zucchini, I have a terrific bread-machine bread recipe (a sandwich-type bread, not a quickbread) and a great chocolate chip cookie recipe that use zucchini too. Let me know if you care to have either one.

Hey now, no need to apologize for your intelligence. :D

Actually, it's my neighbor who's dealing with too much zucchini. As Angela likes to put it, she's 'pimping it out' to us neighbors. :D (Really, I'm blessed with the most fantastic neighbors). Angela also sent me a zucchini bread recipe that she swears by, but feel free to post the cookie recipe! (I don't have a bread machine; in fact, I had a thread/poll about that a week or so ago!) My dear neighbor lady said 'just say the word if you want some more', so I'm betting she's trying to get rid of them. :) And anything I can do to get more green veggies into my family, I'm all for it.

Oh, and here's a copy of the link that MyCrazyHouse posted, just in case anyone else wants to try making them!

This recipe doesn't say to wring the moisture out of the zucchini, and most zucchini recipes I've seen specifically tell you NOT to wring it out. I've never wrung out (or peeled) my zucchini ~ the moisture is pretty much the whole point of using zucchini, since it doesn't add any taste.

Regarding the fat, yes you can definitely use all butter, or even 1/2 olive oil. I use olive oil all the time in cakes that have a lot of cinnamon/spices, and I find that I can't taste it at all. But I definitely prefer to use virgin coconut oil, which is healthier for you than either butter or olive oil, and it tastes fantastic in baked goods.

Another tip for making healthy cakes and muffins is to substitute whole wheat pastry flour for some or all of the white flour. Pastry flour is made from a softer, less "gluteny" wheat, and it's ground extra fine. I make all my cakes & muffins with WW pastry flour and people are often really surprised when I tell them they're eating whole wheat. :)

Jackie

This recipe doesn't say to wring the moisture out of the zucchini, and most zucchini recipes I've seen specifically tell you NOT to wring it out. I've never wrung out (or peeled) my zucchini ~ the moisture is pretty much the whole point of using zucchini, since it doesn't add any taste.

Regarding the fat, yes you can definitely use all butter, or even 1/2 olive oil. I use olive oil all the time in cakes that have a lot of cinnamon/spices, and I find that I can't taste it at all. But I definitely prefer to use virgin coconut oil, which is healthier for you than either butter or olive oil, and it tastes fantastic in baked goods.

Another tip for making healthy cakes and muffins is to substitute whole wheat pastry flour for some or all of the white flour. Pastry flour is made from a softer, less "gluteny" wheat, and it's ground extra fine. I make all my cakes & muffins with WW pastry flour and people are often really surprised when I tell them they're eating whole wheat. :)

Jackie

Great tips Jackie, thanks! I've read a lot here lately about people using coconut oil, but I haven't researched it yet, 'cause dh is convinced that he's allergic to coconut. (I'm not so sure he is, but that's another story :tongue_smilie:) Either way, he wouldn't want me putting coconut oil in anything he might eat, which is pretty much anything I make. :D

I do have a banana muffin recipe that I make all the time, and have tweaked and chagned the recipe a lot to make it healthier. I use just 3 tablespoons of melted butter, then substitiute out plain applesauce for the rest of the fat. I also susbstitute whole wheat flour for 1/3 of the regular flour. It took some trial and error, but I was able to find the best compromise between health and taste so that we could get the best of both. :) Is whole wheat pastry flour different than regular ol' whole wheat flour?

I, too, use olive oil sometimes in baking. I figured that since the recipe for the cupcakes calls for a whole cup of cocoa, it's pretty heavy on the chocolate flavor, so no one would be able to taste the olive oil over that. But maybe that's just me; I don't exactly have the most discriminating of pallates. :D (Or, you know, however you spell that. :P)

Edited by bethanyniez
quippy little spelling jab

Oh...dear. I have all the ingredients but buttermilk, AND some free time this afternoon. Mmmmmm *slurp*!

EDITED TO ADD: OOOPS, sorry I should have kept reading before responding, you were already given this information.

You can make your own buttermilk....for each cup of regular milk just add 1 tablespoon of either lemon juice or vinegar, stir and put in refrigerator for about half an hour.

So since the linked recipe calls for 1/2 cup buttermilk, use half cup milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar.

I'd love to have these recipes, if you're willing to share. :D

I'd love those recipes!

See Michelle, see what you started? Now you've got Robin here in my thread looking for recipies, too.

:D

(I guess I'm in a goofy mood today. I'm stuck inside with ds3, ds6, and dss12, since it's raining. I love my boys! They're so fun and goofy, and it rubs off on me. :))

Edited by bethanyniez
Good grief, who mixes up the names 'Angela' and 'Robin'?!

Hey Michelle, go start your own thread if you want to beg recipes off of people.

:D :lol:

(I kid, I kid. The more the merrier. :001_smile:)

:lol:

Here's the cookie recipe:

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/Zucchini%20Cookies.pdf

It's from Animal Vegetable Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver. I haven't made them yet, but I've eaten them many times, and oh my goodness, they are good. And yes, my avowed zucchini hater (DD6) LOVES them and is always trying to cadge an extra or two at playgroup because "They're healthy, Mom!" :001_rolleyes:

I'll have to post the other one when I get back later, because I have to type it all out. It's SO simple, though, and so good--a great excuse to use up lots of delicious herbs!