Menu

School Year Soups-Favorite Recipes?

In an effort to be more organized and functional as a homemaker, I am scheduling a once a week homemade soup and bread supper. We do have a few favorites, but I need ideas and recipes.

What are your families' favorite soups?

Please post recipes or blog links or recipe links for those delicious, fragrant, comforting pots of homemade goodness...

Thanks in advance

Bon Appetit

-Nancy

PS There was a thread I printed back in 2005...

In an effort to be more organized and functional as a homemaker, I am scheduling a once a week homemade soup and bread supper. We do have a few favorites, but I need ideas and recipes.

What are your families' favorite soups?

Please post recipes or blog links or recipe links for those delicious, fragrant, comforting pots of homemade goodness...

Thanks in advance

Bon Appetit

-Nancy

PS There was a thread I printed back in 2005...

Cha Cha's White Chicken Chili I double this or it wouldn't be enough for the 5 of us.

Mulligatawny Soup

Catherine's Spicy Chicken Soup I leave out the can of tomato soup

Black Bean Soup Really fast and easy

It has several soup recipes that I just love.

The tomato soup is great, and I make it with nonfat milk instead of cream. I don't dollop the sour cream on top, either, but I do float little chopped chives or scallion tops on the top of each bowl. It has a really fresh flavor, not a canned tomato flavor at all.

The mushroom soup is fantastic. I use nonfat sour cream instead of full fat, and blend in about one tablespoon of flour into the sour cream before blending it in.

The onion soup is very good also.

These are all easy recipes. I make them in a food processor, but a stick blender would probably also work.

We love soups here. I make tortilla soup, a mexican fideo soup, a killer mexican soup using chipote, chickpeas and carrot called Caldo Tlalpeno, pozole green, brown, or red. We also love mulligatawny.

cilantro zucchini soup:

boil 4 zucchini until tender

remove zucchini and save the water for later

finely chop white onion 3 tbsp.

2 jalapeno or seranos, pop off stems (do not cut)

add to 1/4 c. butter

low flame until transparent

in a blender puree zuchini and 1 whole head of washed cilantro

add liquid to onions

add about 6 cups of chicken stock (I use a vegan chicken broth)

cook about 20 min.

remove chilis

salt to taste

cut small squares from old corn tortills and fry

garnish soup with chips and a little sour cream

this is a very green soup, some kids are turned off by that

but it really is yummy :D

we love a creamy potato soup that I make with sour cream, cream cheese, shredded parmasean cheese, frozen corn, and shrimp. It's hearty and great with warm French bread toasted.

And to make it even better, sprinkle some "slap your Mama" Cajun seasoning on top and it is like having a spoonful of heaven!!!

Oh yeah, my favorite, though not exactly low calorie, Brocoli Cheese.

16 oz chopped broccoli

4 cups half and half

4 cups chicken stock

1 stick butter

1/2 cup flour

1 med onion, chopped

1 cup grated carrot

salt and pepper ( lots of pepper)

1/4 tsp nutmeg

16 oz sharp cheddar cheese

Chop the brocoli and cook (I use a steamer, don't get it too soft)

Saute onions in butter till transluscent, don't brown them. Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Wisk in chicken stock and half and half. Add broccoli, carrots and spices. Bring to a simmer and cook till all is hot and broccoli is desired tenderness. Stir frequently or cream will burn! Add cheese to melt. Delicious! This is a huge pot for a big family. You can half it.

:lurk5:

I love soup and fresh bread!

This one I love:

Potato and Cauliflower with Dulse Soup

4 c chopped onions

1/2 t salt

3 c diced potatoes

1/2 c chopped celery

1 or 2 diced carrots

3 c cauliflower pieces

4 c water (or stock)

2 T cashew butter

2 T tamari (or soy sauce in a pinch)

1/3 c dulse (optional as I've made it without)

Cook onion and salt in pot until it cooks down to a mush. Add 2 cups potatoes, celery (or leave out for this step), carrots, 1 c of the cauliflower, and water. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender. Put soup into blender with cashew butter and tamari and blend until smooth. Run soup through a strainer to remove celery strings unless you left it out.

Cook the rest of potatoes, cauliflower, and celery (if you didn't use above) until tender. Add the cooked veggies to the soup. If using dulse, prepare it by washing in cold water and tearing into small pieces. Add to soup. Season to taste.

Yum!

I love eating minestrone at my moms, she adds the parmesan rind and it takes it to a whole new level of delicious :tongue_smilie:

I love parmesan in minestrone! :) I am going to have to add a rind to my soup next time.

I made this Potato and Leek soup tonight. It was so good! I followed the recipe but added some minced garlic in with the leeks.