Menu

Can anyone help with wording about fowarded e-mails....

I am working on a church directory that I am going to send out to about 20 families by e-mail. I want to put something at the bottom about forwarding e-mails (because one person I know on the lists forwards junk ALL the time and I'd hate for others on the list to start getting all of this garbage.) So is there anything that I can write at the bottom of my e-mail about sharing and forwarding e-mails?

Thanks,

Kristine

If you're worried about the others getting e-mail addresses from e-mail you're sending, send it to yourself, and to all the others with BCC (Blind Carbon Copy). That way only your e-mail address will be displayed to those recieving the e-mails.

If the e-mail information is part of the directory, it's fully appropriate to add a caution that this list is to be used for offiical business only. You may want to specifically mention forwarded e-mails, stating that they should only be sent with permission of the receiving party as they are appreciated by some, but not by all. (You could add something about storage space and flooded inboxes if you feel it's necessary)

If you're worried about the others getting e-mail addresses from e-mail you're sending, send it to yourself, and to all the others with BCC (Blind Carbon Copy). That way only your e-mail address will be displayed to those recieving the e-mails.

If the e-mail information is part of the directory, it's fully appropriate to add a caution that this list is to be used for offiical business only. You may want to specifically mention forwarded e-mails, stating that they should only be sent with permission of the receiving party as they are appreciated by some, but not by all. (You could add something about storage space and flooded inboxes if you feel it's necessary)

That was my very first thought. I send email to groups all the time and always ALWAYS put the group addresses in the BCC line. I've been told numerous times how much those group email recipients appreciate that I do it that way. Junk emails can be just as annoying to some people as telemarketing calls.:eek:

There is zero reason for her to have to do more work when one person is the idiot.

I would put in big letters, at the bottom:

"The forwarding of emails is general frowned upon on the internet. Emails that have nothing to do with this group should not be forwarded to anyone in this group without their consent. This email loop serves as an information tool for those on the church loop. If you receive an email forward that looks "too good to be true", please refrain from forwarding it. It is best to always utilize tools such as http://www.snopes.com anyway, as you will find most of those forwards are not true. Please remember that anything sent on this email loop is an extension of your church and therefore, an extension of our faith. Forwarding things because they say do so, does not do justice to this church or our faith. In the end, the Church must ask that you refrain from forwarding ANY and ALL emails that may come to you in this same manner. This loop is strictly for the Church Secretary to pass on information about the church, to its members. Thank you for your understanding".

And if they don't get that a nice hearty "Stop you dolt" would work too ;) Sorry--I don't tolerate forwards of any kind and since this is a business there is zero reason to make the business work twice as hard for someone who is too doltish to figure out 99.99999% of the stuff they forward on is not true. Telling them to stop is the best way.

Thou shalt not forward any moronic email, else thou shalt be shunned. If thou persisteth in forwarding hellish email, thou shalt be forever banished to the bowels of nursery and children's church.

LOL! That's good. But, wait a minute... I love the nursery and children's church! :p

I think that adding all that verbage at the bottom of the email is a LOT more work than simply addressing the recipients in the bcc line! :)

To each their own. But I'm not taking the extra time to ALWAYS email them seperately, when I can make that a sig line and have it go out on every single email I send. ;)

Well, if you need it for ALL your e-mails, you could have it as a signature, I suppose. ;)

Using a BCC line doesn't take extra time, though. It's the same as addressing the group e-mail, only you click a different line. It also helps people like me, who don't like to make waves, handle a situation like that without anyone knowing. :D

I think you ladies are confused ;)

All BCC'in does is hide the email addresses from everyone that the email is being sent to. If they hit "reply to all" they can still send on a forward to everyone in the group email..

She's asking how to prevent this from happening and the only solution is for her to do more work and send out the email twice, which is redundant and IMHO, a pain and not something I am going to do for a dolt.

Instead, she needs to tell this person to not do it. Plain and simple. If she gets offended, so be it. I can't stand forwards and think they should all be eradicated from this planet along with anyone who habitually send them. ;)

Thanks everyone, I put something at the bottom of the first e-mail that I sent out, the main reason I included everyone is that our pastor likes to see who the e-mails are going to. Then if he has something that he wants to send, the information is all there. We recently joined congregations with another church, so I now have all of the information and didn't want them to start getting e-mails from this one person who sends us a bunch of garbage (and everyone else that I know) Anyway, I had to send a correction and put in it that I would be sending a blind carbon copy from now on.

Kristine

Hitting reply to all will NOT send an email to the addresses who have been BCC'd. That would very much defeat the point of it!

Hitting reply to all will send an email to all who have been bcc'd, it just means that you can't see who you are sending them to.

The only way this works the way you mention is if she used something like a yahoogroup--which could be set up so that it only goes back to the original sender.. but on standard email programs--yep, bcc does not always protect you from not getting the email--it just means that they can't see your email addy.

Yes, do this!! I wish more people knew to do this! I am so sick of getting piles of garbage email from people who I never asked to send me anything. :mad:

But it keeps the recipient from adding all those emails to their account. People who forward stuff don't go back through old emails and hit "reply to all" to send out their forwards. They just send the forward to everyone in their contact list. That's why the bcc works (and prevents the appearance of scolding).

The op has every right to ask the person to not forward to her anymore, but whether or not the other recipients have that wish is really not up to the op to decide/request. And working on the church's directory is not the appropriate time to air frustrations about email forwards. When you actually get a forward is the best time to do that imo. But I do agree that it is appropriate to include a reminder not to use the list for anything non-church related (solicitations, etc).

I think you ladies are confused ;)

All BCC'in does is hide the email addresses from everyone that the email is being sent to. If they hit "reply to all" they can still send on a forward to everyone in the group email..

No, that is not correct. If you hit "reply all," it will not send the e-mail to those who were in the blind copy line. That would defeat the entire purpose of bcc. If it were so, it would be possible for the recipient to trace who was in the bcc line.

I do think, though, that a notice should just appear in the sig line so that people get the message.

CAMom

sighh.. I am not arguing with anyone about this. It's silly. BCC is only to prevent emails from being seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Carbon_Copy

So there is no such thing as "defeating the purpose of BCC" when BCC was started strictly for the purpose of not showing emails to everyone and nothing more. Yes, someone CAN send an email to everyone on the list by hitting "reply to all", they just won't be able to see who they are replying to.

And I hate to break it to you, but it is very easy to find and trace the emails from a BCC, it's a matter of pulling the headers(hidden) out of the email and knowing where to find these headers. Something that I am sure is beyond this particular woman's capability, but BCC is not entirely as safe as you think.

sighh.. I am not arguing with anyone about this. It's silly. BCC is only to prevent emails from being seen.

OK...but we just experimented with it here at home where 4 of us are online. I sent an e-mail to one of the kids and bcc'd another kid and dh.

I had the one who received it as the main recipient to reply all. The bcc'd people got my e-mail but did not get the reply from the recipient who hit "reply all."

I'll read the link you sent in a bit.

We own our own business and dh ocassionally bcc's me in on correspondence. The "reply all" thing would defeat the purpose of bcc for us if it worked in the way you understand it.:)

CAMom

OK...but we just experimented with it here at home where 4 of us are online. I sent an e-mail to one of the kids and bcc'd another kid and dh.

I had the one who received it as the main recipient to reply all. The bcc'd people got my e-mail but did not get the reply from the recipient who hit "reply all."

I'll read the link you sent in a bit.

We own our own business and dh ocassionally bcc's me in on correspondence. The "reply all" thing would defeat the purpose of bcc for us if it worked in the way you understand it.:)

CAMom

It's not the way I understand it, it's the way it says BCC is supposed to work. And while you can get lucky with the "reply to all" bit, I'm going through this right now with some yahoos on my homeschool yahoo group who insist on bcc'ing everyone in the address book to send the same thing. I've got numerous emails from people complaining that these other people (the ones the yahoos insist on including on a mass email with ours) are not only able to respond to the ones on our list, but send them emails!

It's a tricky thing, but BCC was only ever intended to prevent email addy's from being seen by all, not to prevent reply to all from occurring.

My dh is a software engineer who has actually written software that sends and receives e-mails. He has confirmed that the bcc field is not broadcast to everyone visibly or invisibly.

However, some e-mail programs that provide a bcc field don't actually work as bcc fields and, therefore, you may see the symptoms you are describing. It simply means that the program is not working properly and was designed poorly.

We've tested outlook and yahoo (both this evening) and in neither case did the "reply all" go to those in the bcc field.

I'm not pushing this for an argument.;) I'm just trying to provide an "expert" (dh's) opinion that bcc is a safe way to do what the OP was asking.

Hitting reply to all will send an email to all who have been bcc'd, it just means that you can't see who you are sending them to.

The only way this works the way you mention is if she used something like a yahoogroup--which could be set up so that it only goes back to the original sender.. but on standard email programs--yep, bcc does not always protect you from not getting the email--it just means that they can't see your email addy.

No, the standard is for the BCC addresses to be stripped at the main email server, not just hidden. I'm sure there might be exceptions, although I've never encountered them. What email program do you use?

I tested it at home and at dh's work, and in each case "reply all" went only to the original stated recipient, and not to anyone in the BCC field.

Here's a link that explains it a bit better than the Wikipedia article, which really doesn't address how it works:

http://www.livinginternet.com/e/ea_bcc.htm

Nothing is foolproof, of course - - I wouldn't rely on it to send emails about national security, :D, but it should be safe enough for the OP's situation.