Menu

Orthodox Christianity

Reading about Orthodoxy is never a bad thing, but without the context of how the Orthodox worship, I'm not sure that the fullness of the Orthodox faith is well-communicated.

After reading up on us, how about visiting? Most parishes and priest will be glad to welcome you for a visit and explain the church, the services and the life we live. There's no obligation - just call and find out the times.

OH Kim

I have not been able to visit WTM as much lately, but came for a little visit today. I hope it's okay that I jump in this late in the discussion!

My husband and I have been attending our local Orthodox mission parish since March (we have attended a wide variety of churches in the past, from Baptist to Foursquare to nondenominational and more), and we just scheduled a meeting at the invitation of our priest to talk about getting enrolled as catechumens soon. We're pretty excited! (This, from what I understand, is an official commitment to the church that preceeds one's baptism/chrismation).

GretaLynne, I hope that you can attend a service soon! They are so beautiful. The first service we actually went to was in the company of our very own Patty Joanna. She lives 2 hours from where we live, and graciously invited us to her parish's Christmas Eve service last year. It was lovely to have someone whispering in my ear, helping me to understand the service and to letting me know the particulars such as when to sit and stand, what bread it was okay to partake of, etc. But if that's not possible (attending with an Orthodox person), Frederica's article goes a long way in this regard.

I have read the majority of the books listed, and can concur with the recommendations specifically of Becoming Orthodox by Peter Gillquist, Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells by Matthew Gallatin, and the Frederica Mathews-Green books, Facing East and At The Corner of East and Now. I also just got Common Ground from the library and it's excellent; one I'd like to own.

Again, I hope it was okay to pop in and include our journey to Orthodoxy! I was like you a bit, GretaLynne; I'd hear or read things about the Orthodox church and think, "Hunh -- that's strangely appealing even if I really don't understand it; I want to learn more." Does that sound familiar? It's been a wonderful journey for our family (we have seven kids who all love the change we've made; it's such a sensory-filled experience which really appeals to children, you know?).

Edited by milovaný

What is the difference between the Orthodox and the Roman Catholic understandings of original sin?

What is the difference between the Orthodox and the Roman Catholic understandings of "original sin?" Do we Orthodox Christians even believe in "original sin?" (Nov. '01)

In the 6th Decree of the Synod of Jerusalem (AD 1692) the Patriarchs of the Orthodox Church affirm that "We believe the first man created by God (Adam) to have fallen in Paradise, when, disregarding the Divine Commandment, he yielded to the deceitful counsel of the serpent (Satan). And hence hereditary sin flowed to his posterity; so that none is born after the flesh who beareth not this burden, and experienceth not the fruits thereof in this present world. But by these fruits and this burden we do not understand (actual) sin, such as impiety, blasphemy, murder, sodomy, adultery, fornication, enmity, and whatsoever else is by our depraved choice committed contrarily to the Divine Will, not from nature; for many both of the Forefathers and of the Prophets, and vast numbers of others, as well as those under the shadow (of the Law), as under the truth (the Gospel), such as the divine Forerunner, and especially the Mother of God the Word, the ever-virgin Mary, experienced not these, or such like faults; but only what the Divine Justice inflicted upon man as punishment for the (original) transgression, such as sweats in labor, afflictions, bodily sicknesses, pains in childbearing, and while on our (earthly) pilgrimage to live a laborious life, and lastly, bodily death." What does all of this mean? Since Adam alone committed the "original sin" (or, more properly, the "ancestral sin"), he alone bears the guilt for that sin. However, the consequences of that first sin -- e.g., sickness, pain, death -- and most especially the allpowerful propensity to sin, is inherited by all of his descendants. Roman Catholics, on the other hand, believe that we are all born sinners, guilty of Adam's sin from our very conception in the womb.

Here is what the Roman Catholic Church teaches about The Fall and Original sin directly from them instead of what an Orthodox website says about them. I'd say it is a little more sophisticated than the above statement might indicate. JFYI.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p7.htm#I

(small part from this link)

404 How did the sin of Adam become the sin of all his descendants? The whole human race is in Adam "as one body of one man".293 By this "unity of the human race" all men are implicated in Adam's sin, as all are implicated in Christ's justice. Still, the transmission of original sin is a mystery that we cannot fully understand. But we do know by Revelation that Adam had received original holiness and justice not for himself alone, but for all human nature. By yielding to the tempter, Adam and Eve committed a personal sin, but this sin affected the human nature that they would then transmit in a fallen state.294 It is a sin which will be transmitted by propagation to all mankind, that is, by the transmission of a human nature deprived of original holiness and justice. And that is why original sin is called "sin" only in an analogical sense: it is a sin "contracted" and not "committed" - a state and not an act.

405 Although it is proper to each individual,295 original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam's descendants. It is a deprivation of original holiness and justice, but human nature has not been totally corrupted: it is wounded in the natural powers proper to it, subject to ignorance, suffering and the dominion of death, and inclined to sin - an inclination to evil that is called concupiscence". Baptism, by imparting the life of Christ's grace, erases original sin and turns a man back towards God, but the consequences for nature, weakened and inclined to evil, persist in man and summon him to spiritual battle.

That was a great time! It was so amazing because all of Seattle was snowed in.

That's part of what made the night so special! It was peaceful and quiet outside on the drive and waiting for the church to open (we were an hour early, LOL). We actually didn't do anything with what we had learned about Orthodoxy for a couple of months; it felt somewhat "scary" -- so different from anything we'd ever experienced. But as we've attended services, talked to the priest(s) and to new friends, read online, etc. we've really been glad for what been discovering. God is good.

My husband and I have been attending our local Orthodox mission parish since March (we have attended a wide variety of churches in the past, from Baptist to Foursquare to nondenominational and more), and we just scheduled a meeting at the invitation of our priest to talk about getting enrolled as catechumens soon. We're pretty excited! (This, from what I understand, is an official commitment to the church that preceeds one's baptism/chrismation).

Congratulations!! My family became catechumens on May 3, and it has been the best decision we have ever made. I cannot tell you how different it is after you take that step... and I can only imagine how much more glorious it will be when we are finally "married" to the church. If you ever want to chat about it, feel free to pm me.

Thanks Patty Joanna and Happygrrl for mentioning the Ancient Faith Radio podcasts. I am hooked! I like to listen to my iPod while I clean house and do chores. My house is getting cleaned for the first time in too long, and I have a feeling it may be absolutely spotless in a couple of days. :D I've never enjoyed housework so much! :lol: I'm starting with the "At the Intersection of East and West" series because that seemed a logical place to start for me. It's very enlightening so far. Any others you would recommend?

I was thinking about this thread today, and am glad it has been resurrected! I wanted to second the book by Bajis, titled somethign like Introduction to Eastern Christianity for the American. I have read this over and over, and it was most insturmental in our finally leaping into the faith.

I am glad you like AFR! I think that Intersection of East/West is a fab place to start; I especially appreciated Deacon Michael's talks on Mary (around Christmas time). I listen to quite a few podcasts, and my latest favorite is "The Orthodox Moviegoer". I am an artist, so I am intrigued with such an edgy take on art!

(Sorry I am a little rambling: I am in a bit of a hurry!)

Darla, thank you for posting! I appreciate your story and your book recommendations. I have discovered that an acquaintance of mine is Orthodox, and she invited me to join her at her church picnic this weekend. So that will be a fun way to meet some of the people, and she can also guide me through my first service later on. That makes it much less intimidating. :001_smile: I'm really looking forward to it!

ETA: Sorry it took me awhile to notice your reply. I thought the thread had died out. I'm glad you brought it back to life! :D

I was thinking about this thread today, and am glad it has been resurrected! I wanted to second the book by Bajis, titled somethign like Introduction to Eastern Christianity for the American. I have read this over and over, and it was most insturmental in our finally leaping into the faith.

I am glad you like AFR! I think that Intersection of East/West is a fab place to start; I especially appreciated Deacon Michael's talks on Mary (around Christmas time). I listen to quite a few podcasts, and my latest favorite is "The Orthodox Moviegoer". I am an artist, so I am intrigued with such an edgy take on art!

(Sorry I am a little rambling: I am in a bit of a hurry!)

Thanks! :001_smile:

I hope that I thanked everyone who contributed to this thread. I keep coming back to it to double (triple, etc.) check the book and podcast recommendations. So thank you ALL for your help!!! I'll be referring back to this for some time, I am sure.

:grouphug:

You're welcome, GretaLynne! (For resurrecting the thread, LOL). I'm not able to visit these boards much, but the word "Orthodox" caught my eye because of where we are in life. We went to the feast today down at the bigger church (we attend a mission church in our home town, which is a "daughter" of the bigger church 45 minutes away), and our priest said "Let's talk now" so we had our meeting this morning instead of this coming Tuesday. And we're becoming catechumens tomorrow! I thank those that likened this to "engagement" in this thread -- that really helps a lot as we progress. While I'm still learning so much, and there are still things that it's hard for my 23 years in Protestantism to wrap my head around, I'm excited, and peaceful, as we become part of this historical church.

You're welcome, GretaLynne! (For resurrecting the thread, LOL). I'm not able to visit these boards much, but the word "Orthodox" caught my eye because of where we are in life. We went to the feast today down at the bigger church (we attend a mission church in our home town, which is a "daughter" of the bigger church 45 minutes away), and our priest said "Let's talk now" so we had our meeting this morning instead of this coming Tuesday. And we're becoming catechumens tomorrow! I thank those that likened this to "engagement" in this thread -- that really helps a lot as we progress. While I'm still learning so much, and there are still things that it's hard for my 23 years in Protestantism to wrap my head around, I'm excited, and peaceful, as we become part of this historical church.

:party:

(I was looking for a wedding party but that will have to do! ~Lisa )

And we're becoming catechumens tomorrow! I thank those that likened this to "engagement" in this thread -- that really helps a lot as we progress.

Congratulations!!! :grouphug: I am so very happy for you. I got to attend my first liturgy yesterday and it was absolutely beautiful, moving beyond words.

Our Catholic pastor, who converte from Episcopalianism so he's married, is a great admirer of the Orthodox church, and often teaches about it from the ambo.

One thing he often repeats, is that Catholicism is very Roman, very concerned with rules, while Orthodox spirituality is more "from the heart."

He often quotes JPII, who said that we Catholics should "breathe from both lungs," meaning we should embrace the spirituality of East and West.

I am currently reading a book by Isaac of Syria that he gave me. I told him, "We're going to have to work something out, because I can't give this book back."

GretaLynne, *if* you're interested, I'd love to hear some specifics about your first visit; details and impressions; did you love everything or did some things make you wonder a bit? I know when we first visited we were somewhat wary -- hung to the side, didn't participate too much, just watching mostly. On the other hand, we had some visitors at our parish yesterday (at our invitation) and they went right forward when it was time to venerate the cross at the end. (I remember dh saying, at our first visit, "I'm not kissing anything"). I also remember thinking, after we'd gone to a few Sunday liturgy services, "They do almost the exact same thing every weekend. Doesn't that get boring?" but now that we've gone for several months I see that it doesn't! It's welcoming and comforting actually. So I'm just wondering what some of YOUR thoughts are.

Did your family go with you? I was the first in our home to read about Orthodoxy, and I had to purpose in my heart (and in my practice) to not say a word to my husband.

Posting here as gently as I can manage. Completely friendly in intent, and praying that I shall be understood as such.

Please excuse my chiming in here, but there is a "flag." Your Catholic priest is very, very probably going to tell you that there is one Church, with two "parts" to it -- one being Roman Catholic, and the other being Orthodox. This is the current viewpoint often being taught by Catholics. We have been told this ourselves (by Catholics, including clergy). It is the political stance adopted by Rome and, unfortunately,also by the current Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople. (which latterly-mentioned person, by the way, is NOT the "head of the Orthodox Church", even though newspapers routinely get this all wrong)

The Orthodox Church, however, completely rejects this viewpoint. The "two lung theory" which your priest alludes to, is unacceptable for the Orthodox. Although this makes many people extremely uncomfortable, and even prevents some people from converting to Orthodoxy, the viewpoint held from the very beginning, and never changing, is that there is one church, the Orthodox Church. All other Christian groups -- which includes both Roman Catholics, Byzantine Catholics, and Protestants -- departed from the Orthodox Church, and are not part of it. (Protestants departed from the Roman Catholic church.) This does not mean that there are no other Christians existing. Nor does it mean that they are "doomed to some bad place", to write euphemistically. It means only that there are Christians trying to exist outside of the Church. Their salvation remains in God's hands; we [Orthodox people] make no judgment concerning this question.

I'm glad that you are enjoying reading St. Isaac the Syrian !

Our Catholic pastor, who converte from Episcopalianism so he's married, is a great admirer of the Orthodox church, and often teaches about it from the ambo.

One thing he often repeats, is that Catholicism is very Roman, very concerned with rules, while Orthodox spirituality is more "from the heart."

He often quotes JPII, who said that we Catholics should "breathe from both lungs," meaning we should embrace the spirituality of East and West.

I am currently reading a book by Isaac of Syria that he gave me. I told him, "We're going to have to work something out, because I can't give this book back."

GretaLynne, *if* you're interested, I'd love to hear some specifics about your first visit; details and impressions; did you love everything or did some things make you wonder a bit? I know when we first visited we were somewhat wary -- hung to the side, didn't participate too much, just watching mostly. On the other hand, we had some visitors at our parish yesterday (at our invitation) and they went right forward when it was time to venerate the cross at the end. (I remember dh saying, at our first visit, "I'm not kissing anything").

Well, I have to confess, I didn't kiss anything either! I considered myself more of an "observer" this time than a participant. Not so much because I felt wary, because in some ways I felt like I had come home, but because I felt that I didn't know enough to participate properly, and the more respectful thing to do would be to try to be invisible in the back. :D By chance, this was an annual church picnic that a friend told me about. So the service was outdoors, and there were kids and even dogs around, so it wasn't hard for me to be on the "outskirts" and go unnoticed in the busy-ness of it all. The down side to that, though, was that I wasn't able to really see or understand everything that was happening. I really want to attend the actual church this weekend, but my friend has to work, and that means going alone. I'm going to have to read a lot more about church etiquette if I'm going to work up the courage!

I won't go into detail right now, because dd is begging me to take her to the grocery store for some cookie ingredients, but I will say that the Priest said something in his homily which felt like it was meant for me. I had to fight back tears. I had just been talking that very morning and the night before with my Dad about this spiritual issue, and he addressed it! So that felt like a pretty clear message that I was in the right place.

Did your family go with you? I was the first in our home to read about Orthodoxy, and I had to purpose in my heart (and in my practice) to not say a word to my husband.

Okay, I definitely want to chat with you more about this! I'm rushed right now, but I'll try to PM you later. I would really love to hear how you "presented" it, if that's the right word, to your dh. I'll tell you more about mine and my situation asap.

:001_smile:

Posting here as gently as I can manage. Completely friendly in intent, and praying that I shall be understood as such.

Please excuse my chiming in here, but there is a "flag." Your Catholic priest is very, very probably going to tell you that there is one Church, with two "parts" to it -- one being Roman Catholic, and the other being Orthodox. This is the current viewpoint often being taught by Catholics. We have been told this ourselves (by Catholics, including clergy). It is the political stance adopted by Rome and, unfortunately,also by the current Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople. (which latterly-mentioned person, by the way, is NOT the "head of the Orthodox Church", even though newspapers routinely get this all wrong)

The Orthodox Church, however, completely rejects this viewpoint. The "two lung theory" which your priest alludes to, is unacceptable for the Orthodox. Although this makes many people extremely uncomfortable, and even prevents some people from converting to Orthodoxy, the viewpoint held from the very beginning, and never changing, is that there is one church, the Orthodox Church. All other Christian groups -- which includes both Roman Catholics, Byzantine Catholics, and Protestants -- departed from the Orthodox Church, and are not part of it. (Protestants departed from the Roman Catholic church.) This does not mean that there are no other Christians existing. Nor does it mean that they are "doomed to some bad place", to write euphemistically. It means only that there are Christians trying to exist outside of the Church. Their salvation remains in God's hands; we [Orthodox people] make no judgment concerning this question.

Actually, our priest, a very holy man rooted in the truth, teaches us what Catholics believe AND what the Orthodox believe regarding the true church. The orthodox teaching doesn't make me uncomfortable; your negative assumption does.

Greta, have you read this article by Frederica Mathews-Green about one's first visit to an Orthodox church? I'd sent it to the couple that came to our parish this weekend, and he thanked me, saying it was very helpful. If you go it alone this weekend, this might help! And I'm a huge "asker." If there's something I'm not sure we can do (even now as catechumens; we're still not baptized Orthodox), I *ask*. This weekend at the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos there was an item that people were eating after the veneration of the cross (something being scooped into cups). I didn't know if we as non-Orthodox could partake, so I asked. The priest answered the gal who asked for me that we should wait until we're baptized. I find that this approach is comfortable for two reasons -- one is because people want to be helpful and I appreciate that for *me*; and the other is because they want to do it "right" and I appreciate that for the church! :)

I'm sorry to make you uncomfortable.

Actually, our priest, a very holy man rooted in the truth, teaches us what Catholics believe AND what the Orthodox believe regarding the true church. The orthodox teaching doesn't make me uncomfortable; your negative assumption does.

I have often heard this 'two lung theory', but I actually understood it, from the RC pov, to be referring to the Latin Rite and the Easter Rite Catholics, not Orthodox. Now I am wondering if I've been in error?

Janet

Antonia, could you explain this historically? Or maybe not to hijack Greta Lynn's thread, you or anyone else could pm me. I was raised as a Roman Catholic so my understanding of where Orthodoxy fits in is hazy. My SIL is Russian Orthodox, and I am assuming that is yet another faith, branch? This intelligent, civilized thread has left me with more than a few questions. I hope it's still going after I have a chance to check some of the resources.

I have often heard this 'two lung theory', but I actually understood it, from the RC pov, to be referring to the Latin Rite and the Easter Rite Catholics, not Orthodox. Now I am wondering if I've been in error?

Janet

Perhaps in general it is, it's just that our pastor is a Russophile, and has studied the Orthodox Church (not eastern rite Catholics) in depth. It was part of his discernment process before converting from Episcopalianism.

Perhaps in general it is, it's just that our pastor is a Russophile, and has studied the Orthodox Church (not eastern rite Catholics) in depth. It was part of his discernment process before converting from Episcopalianism.

I'm a bit surprised that he chose Catholicism over Orthodoxy. Curious (seriously curious): why did he?

Father Stephen's blog is our home page and we read it every day. I have to say that I don't always get it; I don't always understand the mysteries he speaks of. But that's part of what I love about Orthodoxy -- my mind doesn't have to wrap itself around everything before I can enter into the life of the church.

I can understand, and relate, to that, Patty Joanna. I struggle sometimes with the answers of "it's a mystery" I'm given...but truth is, man can only understand to a point and sometimes in our attempt to put words to something, we can err. However, it's my studious nature (Reformed LOL!) that causes me to opt for Orthodoxy over Catholicism ;)

I can understand...because I worked my brain so hard in my past, and go not bit closer to God in ten years. I knew a lot more ABOUT Him, sort of like reading a biography of Thomas Jefferson and knowing more ABOUT him...but not any holier, or closer to Christ. So I get it. It's about a lot more than what's in your head. Christianity is not a philosophy to be understood by the mind, but communion from the soul with one's Creator. I understand what you are saying about the studious nature.

Took my heart and put it into words :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought of this thread today when the Catholic converts thread came up and had meant to comment. I have found it so very ..... cool ..... that I know, during a Sunday divine liturgy, that other Orthodox churches all over the world are reading the same Scriptures, honoring the same saints, participating in the body/blood of the same Christ, celebrating the same feasts as we are in our little mission church. There's something to this connectedness, isn't there?

Just saw this thread, I am an Orthodox Christian (convert from Protestantism house church) as of 3 years ago. Last night, Fr. Thomas Hopko spoke at our church; I would heartily recommend his books. Another one that was helpful to us was:

Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells, Matthew Gallatin http://www.matthewgallatin.com/

And, I love the podcasts on http://www.AncientFaith.com ...Hopko has many there , as does Fr John Oliver (those are my favorites).

Oh, and this book which is half price right now: West of Jesus http://www.reginaorthodoxpress.com/westofjesus.html

I thought of this thread today when the Catholic converts thread came up and had meant to comment. I have found it so very ..... cool ..... that I know, during a Sunday divine liturgy, that other Orthodox churches all over the world are reading the same Scriptures, honoring the same saints, participating in the body/blood of the same Christ, celebrating the same feasts as we are in our little mission church. There's something to this connectedness, isn't there?

There certainly is! I have only been able to attend a handful of liturgies (is that a word you can pluralize?) so far, but I have been so struck by this. Knowing that it is, more or less, the same as what Christians hundreds of years ago would have experienced is very inspiring to me. There is something so rich, so grounding and yet so uplifting, so unifying in that.

Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells, Matthew Gallatin http://www.matthewgallatin.com/

And, I love the podcasts on www.AncientFaith.com ...Hopko has many there , as does Fr John Oliver (those are my favorites).

Oh, and this book which is half price right now: West of Jesus http://www.reginaorthodoxpress.com/westofjesus.html

Thank you for mentioning these! I have heard many good things about the Gallatin book. I will have to start that when I finish my current one. I will also look for Fr. Hopko's podcasts -- I have enjoyed Fr. Oliver's, as well as Fr. Stephen's, very much. I had not heard of the last one you listed, so I'm off to check it out.