Menu

what foods, other things are constipating?

I am out the hospital, on a heavy duty antibiotic, and don't want to end up back in the hospital. I am not getting dehydrated, don't have a fever, and have no pain. My only problem is that everything is going through me very fast. I am fairly sure this is not c. difficile since I had that last fall and it was very different (fever, pain, blood, etc). So I am trying to live with this but would like help with figuring out constipating foods.

The yogurt is important to keep some of the healthy bacteria alive in the lower GI . I am so sorry to read that you have had c. difficile my mother had it for months and we evventually got her to an MD that treats this wisely and he utilized an off label use for heart medication thank goodnessit worked. Poor thing was miserable. Eat regular yogurt to slow things down and bananas. I hope you turn a corner soon I know this has not been a good couple weeks for you.

Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast

ETA: there are some studies that show a possible benefit to taking a probiotic when taking antibiotics, but none that were absolutely conclusive (I recently did research on complementary and alternative methods for my MSN and probiotics was one of my topics).

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

I am out the hospital, on a heavy duty antibiotic, and don't want to end up back in the hospital. I am not getting dehydrated, don't have a fever, and have no pain. My only problem is that everything is going through me very fast. I am fairly sure this is not c. difficile since I had that last fall and it was very different (fever, pain, blood, etc). So I am trying to live with this but would like help with figuring out constipating foods.

Rice is for me - in particular Special K cereal (which is too bad cuz I like it).

Hope you feel better soon!

Bananas, bread, cheese, apples...anything high in fiber should help I'd think. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I'm not sure about the high fiber foods because eating lots of those is usually recommended for people who are constipated to loosen things up. I do agree that the cheese and dairy products would be good. How about pasta?

You know, the biggest thing that helped me when I was on high-powered antibiotics for cellulitis was a high-powered pro-biotic. I got it in the refrigerated section of the health food/vitamin store. It is called "Nature's Way - Primadophilus Intensive". It's 'true potency' is 100 Billion CFU according to the box. It is a powder that you can mix in juice, applesauce, yogurt, etc. I took it morning and night. It stopped my diarrhea.