Menu

It all started with a sale at Ikea....

It all started with a sale at Ikea...

I've been looking at these Pax cabinets since at least last summer to replace the metal/particle board shelves we've had in our back room, where we "do school," crafts, projects, etc. They're spacious, look much better than particle board, and have doors with a high gloss finish (I'm hoping to use as white boards!) Two weeks ago, I happened to be in Ikea and saw them on sale! Birch finish drawers that used to cost $45-$60 are down to $4.99-$9.99!

I bought one, with the intention of buying two more later. How could I resist!? I packed up all the junk on the shelves and piled the boxes up in the kitchen.

But, the ceiling in that room has been dirty since we moved in 10 years ago. I should finally paint it, if I'm going to all the trouble of packing up all the junk on the shelves anyhow.

So, I TSP'd the ceiling.

Then, I started thinking how I always wish we had painted the ugly 60's wood paneling walls in there when we first moved in. It would "only" be a matter of emptying and moving 2 bookcases.

So, I emptied & moved the bookcases & TSP'd the walls.

But, there's that indoor/outdoor carpet that the previous owners put in. It doesn't look too bad, but they did have a dog. We'd planned to replace it eventually & then never got to it..... And the previous owners said there was parquet under it! .... :)

So, I pack up everything on the bookshelves on the carpet. We move the enormous, heavy, wood bookcase out to the dining room.

My husband pulls up the carpet and we behold the most hideous "parquet" floor made of... plywood squares! Must have been the thing in the 60's.

My husband starts pulling up the parquet and finds a horrid, thick, sticky, black tar-like adhesive underneath it. The adhesive is on the subfloor, so he can't just pull that whole layer out.

He's at Home Depot now, hoping to find something that can get that tar adhesive off the subfloor so we can put in a new floor!

And it all started with a chance trip to Ikea during a sale. Just a word to the wise... Stay away from Ikea!

yvonne

ETA: DO NOT DO IT! Do not go to Ikea's website! Do not search on Pax!

Edited by yvonne

I so completely relate to this. With everything I do it seems to go like this.

I'm going to get the girls rooms really clean while they're at Granny's house.

So I sit down and pull all the toys out, but it sure would be nice if I had a better organization system for it all. So we go to Target and get some cubbies and boxes. But they won't fit in the room where I want them, so they have to go in the closet. So I really need to go through their clothes anyway, I'll get that done while I'm in here. And I might as well pull their clothes down from the attic because they're growing so quickly, we'll miss using some of these clothes if I don't pull them out now. By golly, that attic is messy! Why didn't someone tell me how cluttered and disorganized it was up there? So we might as well work on that while I"m up there anyway.

By the time I'm done, I've spent two weeks, pulled out most of my hair and the girls rooms are still a mess.

At Home Depot for supplies we see a lovely brushed nickel light fixture and the fixture in that room really was hideous.....

Christina! I was just looking at the room and thinking it would be so much nicer if it had a ceiling light! :) And, really, how much more work could a ceiling light be compared to that sticky, black tar gunk all over the floor? :lol:

yvonne

Sorry too late. I just google them. I love IKEA and we have none near me but I do have the internet.:001_smile: They are really cool.

Oh, Tricia... That's just how they got into my head, too.... Better not make any plans for next summer.....

• 2 months later...
It all started with a sale at Ikea...

I've been looking at these Pax cabinets since at least last summer to replace the metal/particle board shelves we've had in our back room, where we "do school," crafts, projects, etc. They're spacious, look much better than particle board, and have doors with a high gloss finish (I'm hoping to use as white boards!) Two weeks ago, I happened to be in Ikea and saw them on sale! Birch finish drawers that used to cost $45-$60 are down to $4.99-$9.99!

I bought one, with the intention of buying two more later. How could I resist!? I packed up all the junk on the shelves and piled the boxes up in the kitchen.

But, the ceiling in that room has been dirty since we moved in 10 years ago. I should finally paint it, if I'm going to all the trouble of packing up all the junk on the shelves anyhow.

So, I TSP'd the ceiling.

Then, I started thinking how I always wish we had painted the ugly 60's wood paneling walls in there when we first moved in. It would "only" be a matter of emptying and moving 2 bookcases.

So, I emptied & moved the bookcases & TSP'd the walls.

But, there's that indoor/outdoor carpet that the previous owners put in. It doesn't look too bad, but they did have a dog. We'd planned to replace it eventually & then never got to it..... And the previous owners said there was parquet under it! .... :)

So, I pack up everything on the bookshelves on the carpet. We move the enormous, heavy, wood bookcase out to the dining room.

My husband pulls up the carpet and we behold the most hideous "parquet" floor made of... plywood squares! Must have been the thing in the 60's.

My husband starts pulling up the parquet and finds a horrid, thick, sticky, black tar-like adhesive underneath it. The adhesive is on the subfloor, so he can't just pull that whole layer out.

He's at Home Depot now, hoping to find something that can get that tar adhesive off the subfloor so we can put in a new floor!

And it all started with a chance trip to Ikea during a sale. Just a word to the wise... Stay away from Ikea!

yvonne

ETA: DO NOT DO IT! Do not go to Ikea's website! Do not search on Pax!

On my way, right now!!!! :auto: I hear ya! :auto:

This is why I don't clean. Once I start tidying one closet, I discover that the other closets need to be cleaned out first... but then what will I do with my books? Oh, I know, I'll organize the books first, but to do that I have to clean off all my shelves first, then I will take all my books and divide them by use, then I'll alphabetize them and put them only on shelves where the pertinent people will be able to get them... hmm, but where do I put the books while I'm trying to organize them... I know I'll toss them in these great tubberwear containers! Wonderful, I'll just move all the holiday stuff out of those boxes and put them in my room in the closet for right now....

Dh knows I've been cleaning and organizing, because the house is in shambles and you can't walk from the front door to the kitchen.

LOL! That sounds like our new living room set purchase, new curtains, wall decorations, finally getting around to installing a fake beam, and painting both the DR and LR last winter. It all happened because our TV broke :D

We are almost done a project to install hardwood floors in the LR, DR, and playroom, install cabinets that match our kitchen cabinets in the DR, and put in a new hearth and mantle on the fireplace. That all happened because our our 3rd steam vac broke :D

Edited by jujsky