Menu

Trouble handling heat

I grew up in a country (Japan) that gets very hot and humid in the summer. So humid that your sheets would literally be wet when you got into bed at night. We did not have A/C at that time though people nowadays there usually do have it. When I was a teen, I got serious heat stroke. I fainted from a serious blistering sunburn that pretty much went from top to bottom (except the part my swim-suit covered). I've had trouble with the heat ever since.

Washington state just had a heat wave with temperatures in the 90's and low 100's. I did ok inside. But when I went outside I would have heart palpitations. I had a hard time moving and even speaking when I was outside in the heat. And I would get so hot that even after I came inside and was drinking lots of ice water, I just did not seem to be able to cool down. My skin would be radiating heat.

Dh has a job offer in Nashville Tennessee. He will not take it unless my heat problem is "fixed" (his words!). I am 50 pounds overweight and am trying to lose the weight. Do you think my problem with heat will be fixed once I'm a better weight? Are there other causes for my problem with heat? Is there anything I could do or is it just something I have to live with. (And yes, I know that if we moved to TN we would most likely have A/C but I don't want to have palpitations every time I go outside).

Getting the weight off should help! We live in a very hot climate. In the summer we wear very light weight cotton clothing and sun protection when outside. UPF rated clothing can help keep the UV off your skin which can help your core temp too. We also use flannels soaked in cool water around our necks all the time which helps to lower core temp. We don't go anywhere over the hottest part of the day, between 10am and 2.30pm, we just hibernate. HTH

First, I can greatly sympathize with you. I don't sweat, so my body can't cool down in the heat. It can be scary at times; I have had times when I truly feel as though I'm cooking inside.

Second, have you ever had your thyroid tested? Your symptoms can possibly be the result of thyroid disease.

Third, as crazy as the weather has been lately, I'm not so sure that TN will be hotter than WA in the future. :p I'm in GA, and our high for Friday was 82°.

First, stop worrying about the weight.

Go join a gym and hire a personal trainer for 4-8 sessions. Have him/her teach you to use the machines and help you form a plan to get into shape.

Second, have you had your thyroid tested lately? Were you skinny as a child?

I have Grave's disease and occasionally have heat issues... here in Japan I'm really really glad I have AC. I don't go out mid-day. Ahhhh, gotta love being HOT hot HOT.

Anyway, start working out. Have your thyroid tested.

Kris

In the summer we wear very light weight cotton clothing and sun protection when outside. UPF rated clothing can help keep the UV off your skin which can help your core temp too. We also use flannels soaked in cool water around our necks all the time which helps to lower core temp.

Great tips, Amber. Thank you!

Second, have you ever had your thyroid tested? Your symptoms can possibly be the result of thyroid disease.

Third, as crazy as the weather has been lately, I'm not so sure that TN will be hotter than WA in the future. :p I'm in GA, and our high for Friday was 82°.

Yes, I have hypothyroidism. I take medicine for my thyroid. With the medicine, my thyroid levels come out normal. And I feel much much better.

I wondered about the temperatures in TN (that it actually might not be so bad!)

First, stop worrying about the weight.

Go join a gym and hire a personal trainer for 4-8 sessions. Have him/her teach you to use the machines and help you form a plan to get into shape.

Were you skinny as a child?

I need to dig up the money for a personal trainer. I also have muscle problems and I seem to get tendonitis etc. really easily. I am losing some weight slowly using the diet plan from the "Clean Eating" magazine and daily walking for 30 min. a day.

Yes, I was skinny as a child. Except for the one year we lived in the U.S. when I was 13!

Did you ever have these types of problems before you put on the weight (after the heat stroke)?

Could it be that the heat stroke damaged your thyroid or other heat regulating system in your body? Do you sweat? I would be headed to the Dr. before I have up a job opportunity. It can't hurt to go and have some tests.

Yes, I had these types of problems before the weight. I forgot to say (because heat was on my mind!) that I have trouble when it is cold too. I will get so cold that only a hot bath or shower will warm me up.

Yes, I do sweat.

I have gone to the doctor. The regular M.D.(and I've gone to more than one) looks at me like I'm crazy. The naturopath is the one who tested my thyroid and put me on thyroid meds. But she doesn't seem to know what to do from here.

Can't comment on the thyroid issues. I CAN tell you that Nashville summers are hot and humid. Now, this July has been one of the coolest on record, which has been very strange, but I digress. August is usually very hot and humid.

I've read here on the boards that quite a few folks school during the summer (when it's hot) and plan May and October for breaks to be outside when it's gorgeous. Makes good sense to me.

Outside of being hot, Nashville is a great place to be. Hope you get some clarity and peace about whatever your future holds.

I don't think weight is the only issue. The heat has always made me feel sick whether I'm carrying extra weight or not. (My dc are the same way and neither one has ever been overweight.)

There was an interesting article in The Seattle Times a day or so ago about how we aren't used to this heat around here but the body can adjust to it...we just don't have long stretches of hot weather for this to happen. Apparently the military has studied this and recruits from the South don't get sick from extreme heat as often as the Northerners do. They've apparently been able to get people used to extreme heat faster, but it involves 90 minute treadmill workouts in sauna room conditions. Supposedly it takes 10 days of this training to acclimate. (But I know I'd be dead before that.)

As far as air conditioning goes, I find that it actually makes it worse. I went to the grocery store on the hottest day this week and enjoyed the air conditioning, but when I got home the house felt even hotter and I felt worse than I had earlier in the day. Going from air conditioned cars/buildings to the hot outdoor temperatures has always bothered me when traveling, too.

Moderate temperatures keep me comfortable. Like you, I also have trouble with very cold weather. When I told my dh this week that I'd never complain about cold weather again he asked if he could get that in writing. :D

Edited by Laurie

When I was a teen, I got serious heat stroke. I've had trouble with the heat ever since.

Is there anything I could do or is it just something I have to live with. (And yes, I know that if we moved to TN we would most likely have A/C but I don't want to have palpitations every time I go outside).

I had the same thing happen to me at age 12 (fell asleep on a dock on a GA lake!) I've had problems with heat since then, too, and I wondered if that was the cause. I imagine losing weight would help some, but in the meantime, we have to live.

If you move to Nashville, you won't more than likely have a/c. You will definitely have a/c!! I live in Memphis, and I can handle the heat - because I don't go out in it very much. The only time I'm outside when the temps are above 85 is when I'm at the pool. I don't go to baseball games, swim meets, summer picnics, or anything like that. There is plenty more to do than stand around in the heat!

Just make sure that where you live doesn't have frequent power outages. We live in an older neighborhood with lots of old, tall trees, and we have too many outages. Dh is thinking of buying a generator for me because I just can't take the heat when that happens. Or we could move across the street, where they never lose power. :glare:

As long as you have a back-up plan for emergencies like that, wear light, loose clothing, stay out of the sun, and stay hydrated, you'll be fine. Oh, and also make peace with the fact that you'll happily pay hundreds of dollars a month in the summer for a/c. Our bills are outrageous for a tiny house, but I must have a/c, and plenty of it.

Apparently the military has studied this and recruits from the South don't get sick from extreme heat as often as the Northerners do.

I wasn't born here, maybe that's got something to do with it. :)

Like you, I also have trouble with very cold weather.

I love cold. I don't even like to turn the heat on in the winter, but the rest of my family complains. I tell them we just need to open the windows, it's free air conditioning (ignore the fact that it's January)! :tongue_smilie:

Dh has a job offer in Nashville Tennessee. He will not take it unless my heat problem is "fixed" (his words!). I am 50 pounds overweight and am trying to lose the weight. Do you think my problem with heat will be fixed once I'm a better weight? Are there other causes for my problem with heat? Is there anything I could do or is it just something I have to live with. (And yes, I know that if we moved to TN we would most likely have A/C but I don't want to have palpitations every time I go outside).
I don't know, Jean. I'm not overweight, but I have the same problem with heat. I grew up in Florida and never functioned well in the heat, particularly humid heat. My face flames (embarrassingly so) and I have difficulty functioning mentally. I get confused and irritable. My face remains flushed and hot (not from sunburn, from internal heat) for an hour or more after coming into an air conditioned building. I suspect my body lacks some mechanism for dealing with heat that most other people have. If I can help it, we'll never move back to a hot, humid climate. I can fully understand your concern.

ETA: I have had my thyroid checked, and it's normal.

Edited by Janet in WA

I was born in Arizona, where I still live. We've had the hottest July on record (lots of 114, 115 degree days.) My husband, from Chicago, likens it to Midwest winters. During the hot months, we just don't go out.

We have cabin fever, and no pool : (. Because of this I started school last week so that we can take extra time off when our lovely winter arrives.

I'm overweight, but my skinny friends are also miserable.

I hope your Fall starts soon!

I've read here on the boards that quite a few folks school during the summer (when it's hot) and plan May and October for breaks to be outside when it's gorgeous. Makes good sense to me.

I've read that too - that's a great way to do it!

There was an interesting article in The Seattle Times a day or so ago about how we aren't used to this heat around here but the body can adjust to it...

As far as air conditioning goes, I find that it actually makes it worse.

Interesting article!

Yes - I've had this same problem with a/c - esp. if it is set to frigid and then I step out into a wall of heat. It makes me want to throw up. :ack2:

If you move to Nashville, you won't more than likely have a/c. You will definitely have a/c!! I live in Memphis, and I can handle the heat - because I don't go out in it very much. The only time I'm outside when the temps are above 85 is when I'm at the pool. I don't go to baseball games, swim meets, summer picnics, or anything like that. There is plenty more to do than stand around in the heat!

Just make sure that where you live doesn't have frequent power outages.

That's the thing - one of the things we love to do as a family is daily evening walks. When dh was in Nashville in June he said that it was still hot and humid even at night. And I like to do my much needed exercise outside!

Good points about the power outages and the electric bill.

My face flames (embarrassingly so) and I have difficulty functioning mentally. I get confused and irritable. My face remains flushed and hot (not from sunburn, from internal heat) for an hour or more after coming into an air conditioned building. I suspect my body lacks some mechanism for dealing with heat that most other people have.

Yes! I look like I'm about to expire on the spot! (And sometimes feel like it.) Dh on the other hand looks as cool as a cucumber.:glare:

My thyroid makes it almost impossible to get my heat settings regulated. ;) My poor Dr. hears from me often. I hate being hot and I love fall, winter and spring..summer not so much. We live in a town with a valley and river and the humidity just sits here...I can't wait to move. I have two air-conditioners in our little 1080 sq foot apartment. Heat is definitely a problem with anyone who has thyroid issues.

I do think that wieght affects how well we can handle the weather.

Aside from that though, living here in Nashville, it's not that hot for me. But I grew up in South FL. It does get warm here but I think its very bearable. There are things that can be done to keep you cool that work for me.

-loose clothing

-light colored clothing

-lots of 10 minute cool showers (when I was in my last trimester of pregnancy in the summer I would take a cool shower right before we left the house and I would not dry off ... I would let myself drip dry)

I mean depending on where in Nashville you plan on living ... if its right in the middle of downtown then it will be hot. But most of Nashville has lots of trees which helps keep the weather cooler. Even in Summer you can walk outside and get a nice breeze depending on what surrounds your home.

Once you've cleared yourself of jpossible medical concerns like thyroid problems, then make an effort to get yourself acclimated to the heat. I live in Texas and spend a lot of time outdoors, gardening, walking, and hiking. I'll admit that I love the heat, and abhor cold. I've found in my life that being out in 'it' what ever 'it' is makes my body adjust. To start, dress appropriately for the seaon and just sit outside in the shade for a while. A glass of iced tea and a copy of Southern Living will help. :0) Keep at it, adding some light exercise if you like. Add minutes until you are feeling more comfortable.

I'm not making light of your heat issues. With your medical background, you must be extra, extra, extra cautious with heat....but being acclimated can help you stay healthier. Around here, when football practices start, a lot of high school boys get sick from the heat. Those that spend all their time indoors with the central air on are more likely to get sick. If they'd been riding a tractor all summer, they wouldn't.

Last week I was out in nearly 100 degree heat pulling weeds in one of my flowerbeds. I hadn't really noticed the heat. Yes, it was hot, but I'm used to it. Now...in the winter (even winter here in Texas) I whine a lot. I also work hard to stay acclimated to the conditions outside.

Nashville is a lovely area. One of my dearest friends lives there...beautiful place with beautiful people.

You can start now by raising your thermostat a degree or so higher each week. It is very hard on a body when it's used to very cool inside temps to go into the heat outside. You can become acclimated, but it will take some time. Nashville is a nice city!

I have both heat and cold issues since my underlying autoimmune issue has done a number on some of my autonomic functions namely the temperature regulation. I have a very narrow range of temperatures where I feel fine namely between 72-76 for indoor temperatures. Outside, I dress with more clothes or less.

My poor Dr. hears from me often. Heat is definitely a problem with anyone who has thyroid issues.

Maybe I should go to my naturopath about this. She did test and treat my thyroid problems but I haven't specifically mentioned the heat issue to her.

I mean depending on where in Nashville you plan on living ... if its right in the middle of downtown then it will be hot. But most of Nashville has lots of trees which helps keep the weather cooler. Even in Summer you can walk outside and get a nice breeze depending on what surrounds your home.

I did notice the trees when I went in February (no heat issue then!). That's good to know that I could walk outside in shady areas.

To start, dress appropriately for the seaon and just sit outside in the shade for a while. A glass of iced tea and a copy of Southern Living will help. :0) Keep at it, adding some light exercise if you like. Add minutes until you are feeling more comfortable.

Note to self to get a copy of Southern Living! :001_smile:

You can start now by raising your thermostat a degree or so higher each week. It is very hard on a body when it's used to very cool inside temps to go into the heat outside. You can become acclimated, but it will take some time. Nashville is a nice city!

I think you are assuming that I have a/c? Very few of us do in Washington. It was 97 degrees in my house last Thursday! :D

Jean, unfortunately, thyroid problems can make it difficult to deal with both heat and cold. Have you ever tried going on a gluten-free diet? It seems to help me with my thyroid issues.

I suspect that a lot of your issues and mine are related to our adrenals. I can't afford to see a naturopath, but since you're seeing one, that is something I would discuss with him/her. Thyroid medications can make the adrenals function less efficiently.

I was very worried about this when we moved from MI to FL. I figured I would just stay inside in the summer months, like I stayed inside in MI in the winter months. After the first year I really adjusted to the climate. I love it now! There are times that we are inside in the middle of the day and most people wait until 7 to walk around the neighborhood in the summer. When I have to outside midday, I put a cold wet towel around my neck and that helps. Today that's how I mowed the lawn, and I mow in my bathing suit (it's modest, like shorts) and go in the pool afterwards to quickly cool off. I'm really shocked at how much time I spend outside in the summer, I really expected to be homebound! I find as long as there is shade I'm fine! HTH

Melissa