Menu

Grammar for the kid who likes MUS & AAS

eternalknot

Nine year old boy seeks grammar program along the lines of MUS and AAS. No formal grammar, Latin, or writing background but very familiar with basic parts of speech, punctuation, capitalization, and alphabetization.

I'm all about slow and steady, but thorough. I don't need him to parse or diagram today, but it should be headed that direction (no strong preference either way).

Caveats:

I travel for work, so I need a program that can be adapted to 2-3 days of teaching (on the days I'm home) followed by 2-3 days of "homework" (on the days I'm travelling).

His dad and I are separated, so private school is ever-looming overhead. THe school we've agreed upon uses Shurley English. It makes sense to go this route, but the TM looked way overwhelming when I flipped through it.

I've done searches here on Shurley and seem to see more recommendations for GWG (easy-going) or R&S (rigorous). I just don't know which, if either, would be comparable to a MUS or AAS type of program. Any and all insight much appreciated :D

And just because he is reading over my shoulder and asked me to: :auto: LOL

We are using Analytical Grammar for 6th-7th-8th. You may read my review in this thread. You might want to look into Junior Analytical Grammar. I'm all about efficiency.

We used Shurley for 5th grade. I liked it, but it is teacher intensive. The amount of material that was repeated in Shurley 6 was obscene, imo. That's when I found Analytical Grammar.

There are videos at the website which is linked in my signature.

HTH!

ETA: For me, it is similar to MUS in that I teach on Day 1 of the week, and ds is able to work on his own the rest of the week. I just have to check/correct. Also, the lesson build on each other, but I think most grammar programs would do that.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

My son does real well with MUS and AAS. We used Growing With Grammar last year and it just wasn't a good fit for us. This year we are going to try Analytical Grammar. You might check out the website and watch the videos.

They seem to teach grammar like MUS--where concepts are built upon one another. I know they also have a junior analytical grammar. I also like the fact that we don't have to do it for the whole year. This may work out with your schedule as you could just extend the time.

Wish I could be of more help, but this is what we are going to try this year.:001_smile:

I haven't found a program that is hands on, but Analytical Grammar and Junior Analytical Grammar get the job done quickly and without a lot of pain.

I also made up reference cards like the program suggests and my dd is allowed to refer to them as needed.

Heather

How about Winston Grammar? It uses "manipulatives" (colored cards that you lay out in the sentence order) and would seem to appeal to a child who likes AAS. There is also a workbook that could be used for practice on the "homework" days that you're away. I'm planning to use both AAS and Winston Basic this year with my Visual/Spatial no-formal-grammar-before son.

http://www.winstongrammar.com/basic.php

Jackie

I think Growing With Grammar would work for you. It can be used 3x/week, and most (if not all) of the lesson can be done independently. Each lesson presents just one chunk of information, and the front part of the worksheet focuses on the new skill. The back side of the worksheet has review work. It is organized into subjects by chapter, so the focus is on different aspect of one concept (i.e. nouns, verbs, punctuation, etc.) at a time. B does well with MUS and with GWG. I am not familiar with the other programs recommended, but thought I'd chime in. :)

Growing with Grammar would work with the 2-3 days of teaching. We did GWG 3 three days per week. It took about 15 minutes per lesson.

There is also Winston Grammar that uses cards to label parts of speech. In that way it is similar to AAS and MUS. Winston is just straight grammar, whereas something like GWG has things about usage and mechanics as well.

If you want something easy-going and video/text based, what about Cozy Grammar...there's a couple different levels now. It's not as rigorous as something like R&S but you could use it for a year or two, with him doing much independently b/c the lessons are on the video and there are worksheets that go with it, then you could move on to any other program....I like the idea of moving into R&S after the lighter years. CG would be a good start to lead into the higher grammar levels.