Menu

Question for middle school parents

gingersmom

How many books per month do you require your child to read?

I have a stack of books I would like my 7/8th grader to read and either do some kind of report activity or answer questions, etc.

I am not sure if 2 books per month is too much. She is kinda a slow reader.

Two books per month is not too much, even for a slow reader, depending on what they are, of course.

We're having a heat wave here and don't have air-conditioning in our house. We went to Barnes & Noble to escape the heat and do some reading. My dd, who is NOT a slow reader, read a 290 page book of "Tales of Despereaux" in the two hours we were there, and told me about what she read, good enough that I could tell she'd gotten the gist of it very well. (we've never seen the movie)

She LOVES reading, but I'm just saying, a couple of books like that could be read and enjoyed by a slow reader in a month's time, and might ignite a spark that keeps her going and wanting MORE! I'd also let her have some that SHE is interested in and chooses that she can read on her own time.

Be an example and let her see you reading also! :D

Two books per month is not too much, even for a slow reader, depending on what they are, of course.

We're having a heat wave here and don't have air-conditioning in our house. We went to Barnes & Noble to escape the heat and do some reading. My dd, who is NOT a slow reader, read a 290 page book of "Tales of Despereaux" in the two hours we were there, and told me about what she read, good enough that I could tell she'd gotten the gist of it very well. (we've never seen the movie)

She LOVES reading, but I'm just saying, a couple of books like that could be read and enjoyed by a slow reader in a month's time, and might ignite a spark that keeps her going and wanting MORE! I'd also let her have some that SHE is interested in and chooses that she can read on her own time.

Be an example and let her see you reading also! :D

She reads books for enjoyment every day, for hours at a time.

Its different when it is "school" and mom says read this book.

She reads books for enjoyment every day, for hours at a time.

Its different when it is "school" and mom says read this book.

:iagree: So, in that case I'd say two is about perfect: It's not too hard, yet it accomplishes the goals for what you'd like her to get done! :001_smile:

I have 2 rising 6th graders.

We read and discuss one assigned book a month as literature - plot, theme, conflict, character, etc.

Then I assign lots more reading for history and sometimes science - historical fiction, biographies, etc. I don't require them to pick any of that apart, just read it.

Then they read lots on their own for fun.

I have about 2 books a month assigned (mix of fiction and biographies) plus a few short stories and some poetry thrown into the mix. They also have daily history reading and science reading two days a week. Both of my girls are rather slow readers, so I am assigning specific pages every day to see if I can help them increase their speed, and they seem to rising to the challenge. (Of course, they could just be secretly plotting rebellion behind my back. :D )

It really depends on the book and the child. my ds13 reads really fast, and reads for 1 hour per day assigned reading. he reads a book every few days. he has read all the books I bought for this school year in 4 months. so I had to buy more. he is reading mostly historical fiction. Bethlehem books etc.

my ds11 who has dyslexia, reads aloud to me, and does 3 pages every day. it is a real struggle for him, and he is really improving. he gets through about 2 books per month, very easy books. he is reading very easy Greek myths etc.

my ds15 is working through the ancients great book list, and is a very slow reader, though a very thorough reader. he has been reading Herodotus for the last 2 months. he reads for 1 /2 -2 hours every day

My kids read half an hour or an hour during school time, depending on the day. They get through whatever they get through. I also have a read aloud going at half an hour a day. Then they read their own books in the evening- I tihnk its plenty of daily reading.

I prefer to go by daily time than number of books, because it takes the pressure off, and avoids that terrible feeling of just swallowing down yet another book- another book to tick off the list.

I was glad to see this post. I've been feeling like a slacker in this department bec my kids really don't like to read. But, when I got to thinking about how much is read in a week/month I decided maybe we're not doing too bad.

DS 11 who is 5th grade and ADHD/LD is reading Harry Potter (he's listened to all the BOT but this is the first time he's been at the level to read them on his own) --he reads 1 chapter a day. Generally I just assign him 20 mins or reading but my goal this year is to work up to 30 mins for assigned reading in addition he reads the sports page in the newspaper and sports highlights on-line plus a little reading in other subjects.

DD 13 will be 8th grade - she is who I've felt we weren't doing enough with. She only required to read 30 mins a day but if it's a book she likes she will read longer. She is a child who can't have several books going at once bec she gets confused and overloaded w/ details and she wants comprehension ? or writing to go with what she reads to help her process. She does read all of her own history and science though so I'm wondering if that's enough reading. She generally gets through at least 2 books a month that I count for literature --sometimes we through in some poetry or short stories too.

I also do read alouds w/ both for an hour a day.

Does this sound like enough or should I beef up?

It really depends on the book and the child. my ds13 reads really fast, and reads for 1 hour per day assigned reading. he reads a book every few days. he has read all the books I bought for this school year in 4 months. so I had to buy more. he is reading mostly historical fiction. Bethlehem books etc.

Do you have your ds13 narrate to you? If so how often? What about literary discussions? Does he write summaries, critiques, or book reports on what he read? I'm trying to find out if what I will be asking my ds13 to do is reasonable!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

my ds11 who has dyslexia, reads aloud to me, and does 3 pages every day. it is a real struggle for him, and he is really improving. he gets through about 2 books per month, very easy books. he is reading very easy Greek myths etc.

my ds15 is working through the ancients great book list, and is a very slow reader, though a very thorough reader. he has been reading Herodotus for the last 2 months. he reads for 1 /2 -2 hours every day

This is a great example! Do what works for each child, it helps them feel successful, and enjoy the process more!

My kids read half an hour or an hour during school time, depending on the day. They get through whatever they get through. I also have a read aloud going at half an hour a day. Then they read their own books in the evening- I tihnk its plenty of daily reading.

I prefer to go by daily time than number of books, because it takes the pressure off, and avoids that terrible feeling of just swallowing down yet another book- another book to tick off the list.

:iagree: , especially with the "they get through what they get through." My younger 2 LOVE reading, so I help them decide certain general "areas" of reading, but I don't require them to get a certain amnount done per week or month or day, even. We used to have a 30 minute QRT (quiet reading time), they asked for more, so I bumped it to 45. They asked for more, so I bumped it to 1 hour. That's where it stayed. If they want to read more (which they usually do), they can do it after all of their schoolwork is done!

My oldest is a slow reader, and doesn't love it, but he does well with Lit. analysis and has enjoyed some good books. Requirements for him were different than for my younger two because of their different reading speeds and comprehension abilities.

I definitely agree with the part I highlighted!

I was glad to see this post. I've been feeling like a slacker in this department bec my kids really don't like to read. But, when I got to thinking about how much is read in a week/month I decided maybe we're not doing too bad.

DS 11 who is 5th grade and ADHD/LD is reading Harry Potter (he's listened to all the BOT but this is the first time he's been at the level to read them on his own) --he reads 1 chapter a day. Generally I just assign him 20 mins or reading but my goal this year is to work up to 30 mins for assigned reading in addition he reads the sports page in the newspaper and sports highlights on-line plus a little reading in other subjects.

DD 13 will be 8th grade - she is who I've felt we weren't doing enough with. She only required to read 30 mins a day but if it's a book she likes she will read longer. She is a child who can't have several books going at once bec she gets confused and overloaded w/ details and she wants comprehension ? or writing to go with what she reads to help her process. She does read all of her own history and science though so I'm wondering if that's enough reading. She generally gets through at least 2 books a month that I count for literature --sometimes we through in some poetry or short stories too.

I also do read alouds w/ both for an hour a day.

Does this sound like enough or should I beef up?

I think your ds could definitely handle 30 minutes, and your dd could do 45ish, if not 1 hour. For read alouds, who is reading? Do you read all, or do each of you read some? If you are the one reading, what do your kids do during that reading time? I ask, because I know that my kids could listen and comprehend better if they were drawing or coloring or something while I read! Edited by Brindee