Menu

Play Kitchen?

I'm wanting to buy a nice play kitchen for my kids. By nice I mean durable, multi-age, encourages creative play, etc.

I've looked at KidKraft and was set on getting one until I noticed that their products are made in China, among other Asian countries. I read that they (of course) have very strict guidelines and test the products constantly.

I found a good toy on Craigslist, but it's the Little Tikes plastic kind...

In the past and in general, I've not been too concerned with toy safety/health. But this is the first big purchase I'll be making since I've read up (a tiny bit) on the issues. So, I want to get something that I will feel 100% confident about.

Oh, and here's where I'm a contradiction. I found a few kitchen toys made in the USA, completely wooden and great quality. But they're expensive (of course), number one, and number two, um, how do I say it? They just look boring! Which I KNOW is not the point, since the fewer colors/paints/bells and whistles they come with, the healthier/safer they are and the more creative play they encourage!

Bottom line: I know that I ought to purchase toys that are good quality and non-toxic. However, the other, louder side of me wants toys that are popular and look snazzy.

Okay, I'll stop. So, what kind of play kitchen do you own? Pros, cons?

TIA!

I own the Melissa and Doug play kitchen. I got it for $99 on Amazon with a prime trial so free shipping! I put it together in around an hour and everything lines up/fits perfectly. I really, really like it. The doors need to be tugged open, which I like. We got it in December and it looks the same as the day I bought it, and it gets daily use in our living room.

I think it's perfectly detailed - not super busy or high-tech (nothing electronic), but also realistic looking. My kids would not have as much fun with a plain kitchen, I'm sure. The turntable in the "microwave" really moves and the knobs are realistic.

We bought a bunch of the M&D wooden food/kitchen stuff, and ... eh. The paint chips immediately. I'd get some lightweight plastic stuff (I think Learning Resources sells some good stuff on Amazon) and wait until the littlest one is past the banging phase before you invest in wood. OOOh here's a really nice LR set http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Giant-Play-Food/dp/B000BZ6U0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248986253&sr=8-1

Guest Alte Veste Academy
durable, multi-age, encourages creative play

I've looked at KidKraft and was set on getting one until I noticed that their products are made in China, among other Asian countries. I read that they (of course) have very strict guidelines and test the products constantly.

My kids have this KidKraft kitchen and it is WONDERFUL!!! I can't say enough good things about it. There is TONS of storage space. One of my local friends has one of the Step2 plastic kitchens and the storage space is so tiny that I hate cleaning up when I'm over there because nothing fits anywhere. In our kitchen, big things (including whole baskets of rapidly cleaned up foods) can be stored in any one of the openings.

I bought this before the whole China lead hullabaloo. I bought a lead test kit and it tested fine. Seriously, I am so happy I bought this kitchen over any other. I couldn't be happier with it.

Also, I have very tall kids. DS6 is now close to 50" and can still play fine at this kitchen...and does so regularly. They all play with it regularly. It was a HUGE hit the Christmas we got it (2006) and it's still prominent in their play.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We bought a bunch of the M&D wooden food/kitchen stuff, and ... eh. The paint chips immediately. I'd get some lightweight plastic stuff (I think Learning Resources sells some good stuff on Amazon) and wait until the littlest one is past the banging phase before you invest in wood. OOOh here's a really nice LR set http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Giant-Play-Food/dp/B000BZ6U0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248986253&sr=8-1

:iagree:

YES! I'm so sad to say this because I really prefer wood toys but don't buy the Melissa & Doug food because the paint chips terribly. My mom bought a bunch of the plastic food sets from Learning Resources and it pains me to admit that it's better. However, the BEST is the Haba play food. The tea bag set in particular is a favorite around here.

Oh, and these can make you feel better if you end up buying a kitchen from China. Green Toys Cookware and Dining Set Also, if you're going to get pots & pans (a must), do get metal. A dear friend bought the cute enamel set and her dd3 dropped it on the floor and it broke into a million pieces like glass!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

We have the same one as Alte Veste Academy and our kids LOVE it! We've had it since Christmas and all my daughter ever wants when we go to the toy store is more play food and/or dishes, pots, etc. MAJOR hit here. Oh, and I bought a cheap clock at Ikea to hang over the fake clock. They LOVE it.

I have *wanted* this play kitchen for a couple of years. It is made in China by a French company. It is not huge (which is why I wanted it), so it may not work for you, but it gets really high ratings and price-wise is comparable to what I think you have been looking at. It comes with A LOT of stuff: plates, pots, salt and pepper, etc.

Here is a link to other kitchens some of which are ridiculously expensive, but you might find something else you like. I really like this online vendor, http://www.oompa.com

We have a KidCraft too. I feel the same way you do about wanting one made in the US, but my mom bought this one, and it's a HUGE hit. I agree that it's still a prominent part of their play years later. We like the realistic touches as well, and I don't think my kids would have as much fun with it as they do with just a plain oak kitchen. Ours was from Costco, and they still carry the set as well as the one Alte Veste Academy linked. Their prices are quite good and seem to include shipping (which I find hard to believe, but that's what it says!).

ETA that I see Amazon's prices are a bit lower. I won't tell my mom that :lol:

Edited by melissel

We also have the KidKraft play kitchen. I looked around a LOT for play kitchens 4 Christmases ago when we finally decided on this one. The one thing I liked about it was the height of the counter -- it was higher than any of the others I looked at. What that means is that it will last longer than the smaller ones, like the Little Tikes, etc. My girls (one almost 8 and the other just turned 6 still love and play with it.) It's also one of the biggest attractions whenever they have friends over (even boys, LOL)!

I advise you, especially if you are looking for a multi-age play kitchen, to consider the counter height. A lower counter height will mean that it will be outgrown more quickly.

ETA: Here is the link to the kitchen we have: http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-53102-Small-Pastel-Kitchen/dp/B0000C9WDW

It's smaller than the others, but we needed a smaller one, and my dds pretend the area under the sink is the r/f. Don't know if this model is still available, though.

Edited by amsunshine

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We have a KidCraft too. I feel the same way you do about wanting one made in the US, but my mom bought this one, and it's a HUGE hit. I agree that it's still a prominent part of their play years later. We like the realistic touches as well, and I don't think my kids would have as much fun with it as they do with just a plain oak kitchen. Ours was from Costco, and they still carry the set as well as the one Alte Veste Academy linked. Their prices are quite good and seem to include shipping (which I find hard to believe, but that's what it says!).

ETA that I see Amazon's prices are a bit lower. I won't tell my mom that :lol:

Oooh! I always loved the pink one but I needed tall so it would fit the kids for years. The one I got was the tallest I could find, at 42.5" high at the top of the fridge/top shelf.

We have the (now discontinued) pink and white kitchen from Pottery Barn Kids and that gets nearly daily use by all three kids (and has for more than 5 years). There are some marks of the marker/crayon/nail polish variety (and also a psychedelic painted couch in the same room) from clandestine art projects. (note that none of these are recent so my head has stopped spinning around) There are no paint chips or other wear-related damage, though.

Honestly, though, I have no idea where they're made.

We have (and love) an Elves and Angels kitchen. I decided it was the one for us when I read "and the stove hinge can support the weight of a child without tipping the kitchen over" and I thought "WOW! This guy has really thought through these kitchens!"

I also recommend wool FELT food, purchased through Etsy. Handmade, durable, and non-toxic. Plus it is super cute!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I also recommend wool FELT food, purchased through Etsy. Handmade, durable, and non-toxic. Plus it is super cute!

Oh, yes! It's adorable! If I was starting over, that's what I would do, or I would learn how to crochet and buy this book.

Oooh! I always loved the pink one but I needed tall so it would fit the kids for years. The one I got was the tallest I could find, at 42.5" high at the top of the fridge/top shelf.

LOL! The funny thing is that I like the one you have better! You're right about the height, I do wish it was taller. But the kids don't seem to care, and I didn't pay for it, so it's all good. You made the right choice, though :D

Oooh, I hadn't thought about play foods out of felt! PERFECT!

And y'all are making me feel better about getting a Kidkraft :)

I looked at one Pottery Barn kitchen, and after mopping up the drool, I decided it's a bit too pricey. But I'll look at other sets on their website.

Any and all input is still appreciated and will be weighed!!!

TIA!

[ATTACH]1196[/ATTACH]

I dont know if this is on here or not...I tried to attach a picture of the one we made one for ds. It was fun! It is 2 cabinets from the scratch and dent section and the same for the counter top. It was like 25 I think. We changed the hinge on the oven door so it opened like a real one. The pots and pans I got at a thrift store.

[ATTACH]1196[/ATTACH]

I dont know if this is on here or not...I tried to attach a picture of the one we made one for ds. It was fun! It is 2 cabinets from the scratch and dent section and the same for the counter top. It was like 25 I think. We changed the hinge on the oven door so it opened like a real one. The pots and pans I got at a thrift store.

I couldn't see it :sad:, but sure would like to, if you can get it fixed.

When googling play kitchens I found a few homemade ones. Very creative!