Menu

homemade chocolate milk how do you make it?

Does anyone know how to make homemade chocolate milk? Not hot chocolate, I know how to do that. Not using a store bought mix, I can do that too. I was looking online and got somehow confused. I did find online one person said to take 1 cup of cream with a 4 oz semisweet chocolate bar, melt on the stove, store in the fridge, then mix when you want chocolate milk. Another said to take water for sugar and cocoa powder cook on the stove, then mix with milk. Even another was quite complicated as it used soaked rice, and baked cocoa beans. Surely before commerical mixes were available in the supermarket somebody made chocolate milk. I am assuming 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder to 1 cup milk is the standard. I do not wish to cook the milk, but how to I get the mixture to disolve in the milk? Do I cook a small portion of milk or cream then mix with milk. I would like to make about a quart at a time. I just don't have enough confidence to go into the kitchen and play around with it until I get it right.

What about making hot chocolate with cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla and then refrigerate it? You will need to barely warm the milk, just enough to dissolve everything.

Granulated sugar won't dissolve easily into cold milk, so another thing to try would be making simple syrup on the stove and then adding semisweet cocoa to it while it is warm to dissolve it. You can try to refrigerate this and then add it to the milk, but i don't know if it will stay a liquid.

Did you check Tightwad Gazette for a recipe? I know she has one that you make in the blender that is like a Frosty.

Funny...I was just seeking out the same yesterday.

I ended up finding a recipe using 1/2 c cocoa powder, 1 c water..heat/stir to dissolve, add in 2 c sugar, heat/stir to dissolve...boil 3 minutes, stir in 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp vanilla and let cool.

It doesn't mix with the milk well AT ALL. Very disappointed.

So if you find something that works, let me know, please! :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

We used Nestle Quick for years, this is my substitute. Quick has too many unnecessary ingredients, and the calcium carbonate in it makes me dizzy. I first tried making syrup and I have a recipe for that if you want it. This is less work.

I mix 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, and a dash or two of salt. You can mix it in any amount of 2:1 proportions. I store it in a mason jar.

Hot chocolate:

Heat milk, add spoonfuls of the mix to taste, stir well. If you are heating a mug of milk in the microwave, add a heaping teaspoon to the hot milk and stir.

Cold chocolate milk:

Put a teaspoon full of the mix in the bottom of a glass, add about a teaspoon of tepid water and mix well till thoroughly combined, add milk and stir well.

Adjust to suit your tastes.

We like it just fine.

I have always made my own chocolate sauce.. So much cheaper and no HFCS. 1 cup cocoa 1 1/2 cup of sugar 1 1/2 cup water bring to boil wisking constantly let boil for 3 - 5 minutes while wisking then throw in fridge. It thickens as it cools... You can adjust the amount of sugar for your taste. Sometimes I use only 1 cup of sugar but the kids say it isn't sweet enough. I like it. Also can use maple syrup. Yum! It makes great choc milk!

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is like five weeks old, but I had to come back and add a comment.

I made the recipe that this links to (btw, it's an Alton Brown recipe from Food Network). It's DELICIOUS. It's cooling right now. I used honey instead of the corn syrup the recipe calls for.

My boys like the Hershey's chocolate syrup to make chocolate milk or to put on their ice cream. I think we'll probably be making this homemade version from now on. There's just water, cocoa, sugar, vanilla, salt, and honey (the orignal recipe calls for corn syrup). That's it. No HFCS, which is the FIRST ingredient in the name-brand syrup we used before.