Menu

Acknowledging a gifted student cont..... Brag Alert

I just received dd's CAT's in today's mail. She got a perfect score! Not one answer wrong! 99%tile in everything! I'm happy, I'm proud, I'm freaking, and I'm scared!

Now what???

Take care with success - remember to have her continue to work hard. ;)

And by all means, Congratulations! :)

I just received dd's CAT's in today's mail. She got a perfect score! Not one answer wrong! 99%tile in everything! I'm happy, I'm proud, I'm freaking, and I'm scared!

Now what???

Wow! That's great! Good luck keeping ahead of her.

Jean

Congrats to her daughter!

As for what's next, I recommend an out-of-level test with a higher ceiling than the CAT offers, to clue you in to her abilities. I don't know her age, but the SCAT, EXPLORE, and the ACT are examples.

Of course professional testing may be helpful too.

Take care with success - remember to have her continue to work hard. ;)

And by all means, Congratulations! :)

:iagree:Congratulations from here too!

A side note: fractalgal gave you some of the best advice for parents of accelerated learners. It's easy to focus on praising intelligence instead of hard work. A book that was recommended during a counseling session for our dd is Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. There is a whole section on parenting and school. I have found it to be very useful in working with an accelerated learner. For me, it answers some of the "what now?" question. HTH

Thank you all! I wouldn't dream of letting up on the hard work;:D we're okay there. She understands that this success means more work and she is really okay with it all. Somehow she equates PS to jail so as long as she doesn't have to go I have a willing and able subject.

I am looking into the SCAT and I've put Mindset: The New Psychology of Success on my next Amazon order. I've added to already good curricula for depth. Great advice from all, thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Now what???

How old is your dd? Also can you tell us what your curriculum and homeschooling has been like up to this point? Teach me!! lol...

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!!!!

How old is your dd? Also can you tell us what your curriculum and homeschooling has been like up to this point? Teach me!! lol...

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!!!!

I'm sorry for my delay, I must of missed this in my email.

Dd just turned 8. I've been somewhat following the WTM the whole time.

I use Singapore w/all the extras for Math. History Odyssey level 1, Ancients, Middle Ages and Early Modern and all the suggested extra reading. I started with REAL Science Life and Earth but because of the publishers timing we switched to My Pals are Here Singapore Science. We used Voyages in English for grammar and writing, grades 1-3 but plan on switching to Michael Clay Thompson here in a few months. We are doing Latin for Children Primer A, Sequential Spelling, Artistic Pursuits, The Story of the Orchestra, A Young Person's Guide to Philosophy, and Dave Ramsey Jr. for economics. I'm very heavy with geography and devised my own course. We are about 80% through memorizing all the nations and capitals of the world. We have all the states and capitals down and are working on presidential dates and facts. I'm working on a information technology course as well.

Overall we do a lot of memorization and reading. Our dinning table is covered in maps. We read (meaning I read) out loud classic books every night for dh and dd; it's our family time.

In some ways I'm lucky that I only have one child, I can't imagine doing this with two or more. Thankfully, starting last year there was a huge jump in independent study.

Now that I've stated all the above. I'm rethinking it all :glare: Not that it hasn't worked thus far, but obviously something hasn't been quite challenging enough??? There were 313 questions on that test. I'm still besides myself how she did not miss one! And this is from a kid that has serious selective hearing when it comes to chores. Maybe I'm missing the boat all together and what I really needed to test was her hearing. :)