Menu

At what age did/would you read the following books to your dc?

Dh is reading The Hobbit to dd right now. She is nearly 10yo. I think this could have been sooner, but she's not "into" these kind of adventures. However, ds, who is 6.5, wouldn't understand it much yet.

The Chronicles of Narnia we started reading to dd when she was oh, probably 8yo or so. She loved all of those immensely. One of them (I think it was The Horse and His Boy) we listened to on Cd (the Focus on the Family one) while we were traveling, and it was too "scary" for ds. But it was dramatized. I think ds could start enjoying those books soon.

Can't help you on the other two.

The Hobbit is next on our list. We just need to finish Charlie and the Chocolate Factory first. I don't think my kids are ready for LOTR yet. I read them The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe a couple of years ago (I'd say that my oldest was, oh, about six) but we haven't read the other books in the series yet.

My oldest is reading The Spiderwick Chronicles (she's on the third one, I think) to herself. I haven't read them so I can't comment on their appropriateness, though (I'm not very strict about that kind of thing).

books as soon as my kids started liking long chapter books (around 4 & 5) because they are my favorites. I have been working slowly through the Hobbit & Rings Trilogy this year (9 & 10) and we are getting close to being done with them. We haven't read Spiderwick books.

I think my husband read The Hobbit to our daughter when she was about 6. My son read it independently when he was 8-ish. (Took a while, but he was determined.)

I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to my daughter when she was about 6 or 7 (I think). Again, my son read the whole series independently at about 8.

My daughter read the first Lord of the Rings book when she was 9-ish, but had no interest in continuing after that. (I don't like them, either.) My now-9-year-old son is about half-way through the first one on tape.

We've never read the Spiderwick books. I pointed them out to my kids once or twice, but neither had any interest.

--Jenny

Ds was 5, I think when dh read "The Hobbit" to him. And maybe 4 when they did "The Chronicles of Narnia". I'm pretty sure dh read Narnia to him at 4 and then they went on to Hobbit after that. Dd was 3.5 or so and listened a bit to Narnia at the time, but was too wiggly still to listen very well. All three have listened to Narnia on Audiobooks now and to the recording we have of Hobbit. We'll hold off on LOTR for awhile, maybe when the older two are 9 and 10? I'd sort of like to pre-read Spiderwicks before I let them at it, though dd could handle the reading level now, ds still prefers shorter books with a few more pictures.

Dh just read "The NeverEnding Story" to the older two and they really loved that.

Jami

Dh read The Hobbit to the oldest 2 when they were about 5 and 7 (I think). They've each read the Narnia books on their own. Dd2 (age 10) found the Spiderwick books this year and shared them with ds2 (age 7). I don't have a problem with those books. They haven't read the LOTR so far, but that's because they aren't really interested in them.

Just to clarify, I wasn't really asking for an "appropriate" age level; I was curious to know when others have enjoyed reading these with dc. I have never read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, or The Spiderwick Chronicles, so I just wasn't sure about which age group would typically enjoy these as RA.

I read "The Hobbit" to DD AND Dh when she was about 5 and he was much older, LOL. They both loved it.

I didn't read the whole Chronicles of Narnia to Dd until she was maybe 7ish, but I did read "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" to her when she was 5 because I thought that that was the best 'entry' book, and one of the best written, and the clearest symbolism (so easy to discuss).

I think DH read her LOTR when she was about 8.

She read C of N to herself after I read it to her, when she was 8 or 9. It was challenging reading, but she already knew the stories and we had gone over most of the vocabulary when she was younger.

We have not read the Spiderwick Chronicles.

Guest Lorna

The Hobbit we enjoyed as a read aloud at the ages of about eight and ten

The Lord of the Rings my daughter read on her own at about ten. I am thinking about this as a read-aloud again now.

The Spiderwick Chronicles were the among the first books my son really enjoyed reading alone at about the age of seven. You might like to save these to read alone. They are laid out in a new-reader friendly manner.

independent reading. I read them all first, the for both of my boys, they were the first books where they fell in love with reading. Both boys were 7 or 8. I made the youngest read them all before seeing the movie. He would literally sit down and "read it up," in about an hour.

Those are all on my list of books for them to read themselves. Once my ds got into chapter books, he devoured them. I saved the high-interest fiction like those for him to discover on his own. I plan to do the same with my girls. The same holds true for the Little House books for my dds. My 7yo has started reading these to herself and loves them. I choose harder books as read alouds. Books that are good, but that might be difficult to really get into alone.

The Hobbit

The Lord of The Rings series

The Chronicles of Narnia series

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Hobbit -- they haven't been interested in it yet

The Lord of the Rings: 9 yr old has seen the movies but not read the books yet

Chronicles of Narnia: they were a read aloud years ago to a 3 and 6 yr old (I think -- it has been a while) Both have seen the movie that came out.

Spiderwick: older one read these about age 8? My little one is 6 and just read them. Both have seen the movie.

The Hobbit- Although I attempted to read this with DS8 this year he had no interest. I will probably try again next year.

The Lord of The Rings series- Again this is something my son has no interest in. I would allow him to read this series if he desired.

The Chronicles of Narnia series- DS started to read this series when he was 7yo and continued it this year at 8.

The Spiderwick Chronicles- DS is just now interested in this series because of the movie coming out. We have purchased only one book but I am sure it will be on our list again.