Menu

Need Book Recommendations for a Meet and Greet at a Bookstore

Hi!

One of my homeschool groups is doing a Meet and Greet event at a local bookstore in a couple of weeks. We will be talking to shoppers about homeschooling and featuring literature from our group, HSLDA, etc. on our table as well as "homeschooling books."

Well, aside from The Well-Trained Mind (which will be featured on the table) what other books do you recommend for an outright newbie to homeschooling?

I'm especially interested in books that have been helpful to others who brought children home from brick-and-mortar schools and especially targeted for those homeschooling high schoolers for the first time.

When I first started research, I was inspired by WTM and For the Children's Sake, by Susan Schaeffer Macauley (sp?) I also liked Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling (or something like that) Although I differ with her about a great many things, she covered nearly all of the different types/styles of homeschooling and gave me a jumping off point for further research. That, or something like it which discussed different methods would be nice. Personally, I already knew that I wanted to homeschool, I just wasn't sure how.

Oh, and The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto might get generate some interest!:D

Although I'm a Christian, I think you should definitely have secular things out.

I also think a selection of curriculum materials would be very interesting for parents who wonder if they can teach their child. Easy things, like WP schedules, Sonlight books (to show that homeschoolers can control the lit their kids read and go with the great stuff), and of course, you should have SOTW and the AG, maybe even with some AG projects or an album of pictures of some. In fact, a poster or two of kids really having fun homeschooling could be quite convincing! Just think of those Sonlight catalogue pics...:D

One of the stores around here has a monthly "How to Homeschool" meeting once a month and on their table they have a learning styles book, the Cathy Duffy book, a book on hsing laws for our state and some books like TWTM, Kathy Andreola's Charlotte Mason Companion, and some of the Stewardship products. They also carry the Ferg-N-Us homeschool planner so they set that up there as well.

I think that's kind of a nice representation on some of the facets of homeschooling.

...I appreciate your suggestions as well.

I actually came back to copy-and-paste Kareni's suggested books and because my emails have been winding up in the "cyberspace abyss" (I can't find them anywhere and my friends are not receiving some of them -- it's the strangest thing). I'm glad to have a few others to add in.

I'll try to post about how the Meet and Greet went (it'll be in mid-Aug.).

Ciao for now!