Menu

Now he's thinking about Houston -- any thoughts on living there?

We're in CA now -- have been all our lives. Our interest is Virginia or North Carolina, but we don't know if the job opening will appear.

A Houston job is open and dh is all excited. I'm like, "wait a second. I don't know anything about Houston."

To be honest, it's common to hear people in CA criticize living in Texas. Could you tell me the good and bad.

I've heard it's awesome for homeschooling.

TIA!

Alley

I did not live in Houston but I used to live in Austin when I was in college and I loved living in Texas except for the heat and the fire ants. Unfortunately, all of my family was back in the midwest and I decided to leave to be closer to them. If my family was there, I would go back to Texas in a heartbeat.

There is Houston, and there is metro Houston. Is the job in Houston "proper" or in one of the outlying areas? (Katy, The Woodlands, Spring, Missouri City, etc.)

I lived in Houston from 1956-1977, so I have no current knowledge.

The heat/humidity are beastly. If you live in far north California, your body may be sensitive to the altitude drop. Houston is but 50 feet above sea level.

Proximity to Galveston is a plus. The beach at Galveston is nothing great (oyster shell), but ocean is ocean !

Always something going on, somewhere, something for everyone.

If Houston still is the same, it is a "high turnover" city. I rarely met someone who actually was born there. (I was born in Virginia !)

The northwestern "burbs", such as Spring-Branch, Spring, The Woodlands. . . these are attractive, pleasant, green places. (Green as in trees/plants.)

It's all trade-off. You should hear Texans trash California ! (I suspect cultural competition.)

No state income taxes. No sales tax on food. (These help beat out VA and NC.)

I would move to NC in a heartbeat, because I fell in love with the state during college.

Houston can be a good place to make a living. If you homeschool, then you have all the advantanges of being in Texas. If you want private schools, there are many fine ones there. Whatever your religion be, there are places for you. Shopping is everywhere, with everything imaginable available. Groceries/restaurants from every possible ethnic affiliation.

I thought Houston much more "fun" to live in than I think Dallas is. (Dallas being where I'm stuck now.)

What else can I try to address ?

(Oh yes. Don't hope for snow. :crying: )

A very very close friend who was born and raised on Long Island's North Shore has lived in Houston (River Oaks) for 17 years - her dh is with a major corporation based there. She could not imagine 17 year ago that she was going to survive there -- all her family is in NY, but when we met with them here in Virginia for dinner a few months ago, she clearly has made a nice life for their family there -- they have three children, 17, 15, and 10. They are active in their synagogue, they have a dog, and this dear friend personifies for me the saying: 'if you ain't where you want to be, you're nowhere.' Her husband, who was born and raised in Westchester County, NY, doesn't seem to let anything phase him -- he says the heat and humidity are beastly, but every city has its pluses and minuses.

We did talk about the odd fact that it seems that when the rest of the country is prospering or suffering economically, Houston seems to do the opposite - I do not know if this is factual, but I've heard the observation made by more than a few people who live there, have lived there, or are thinking of living there. My dh travels there frequently and really dislikes the humidity only. At one point, when we thought we would be transplanted there, my biggest complaint was that they don't have an American League baseball team.

Best wishes with you decision-making.:001_smile:

River Oaks is for the wealthiest of the wealthy. Not at all representative of the rest of Houston.

I don't know about current economic state of Houston. My parents both worked in the oil industry, and had to "retire" early when the oil industry blew up in the 1980s.

We live in Houston and we love it. However, I like hot weather. Other things I like about Houston include being 60 minutes from the beach (we like Surfside), the natural interaction of many cultures and racial groups along with less racial strife than in some other cities, it's incredibly easy to home school (several homeschool stores, tons of homeschoolers and co-ops and classes to choose from, and no reporting to any govt. group), lots of opportunities for many activities. The Hill Country is not too far (3 - 4 hours depending on where you live in Houston) if you like mountains (okay, really big hills with rivers to play on). It's not a snobby city - the good side of a lot of people living here not being from here.

I repeat the previous poster in that a lot depends on what part of Houston you live in. If you have more information on that, we can give you some more details.

Texas is a wonderful place. I visited here when I was in high school and decided to move here for college and to stay here. And I have done that and I love it. I can't describe it - but Texans are proud to be Texans and cherish their freedom and their state.

Honestly, in Houston itself the downside for me is the crime. We live inside the city limits. I have never been the victim of a violent crime, but have had our house broken into twice. They only took a few things each time. But I wish I didn't have to be so vigilant about avoiding crime when

out at parks, etc. Depending on where you live, the suburbs might not be quite so bad.

i've been in the Houston area since i was 5 and have never been a victim of crime!

honestly, the only drawbacks to living in the Houston area are

-lack of scenic beauty

-heat and humidity

-traffic

we are pretty well insulated from the big economic problems and it's a very good place to make a living. the west, far north, and northwest sides of town are most desirable...i'd steer clear of the east side if i were you!

Let's play fair concerning the Gulf. For sure, Galveston area is not "pretty beach, sparkling blue water". A short drive south, however, the Gulf perks up markedly. I still remember an idyllic vacation to Corpus Christi many years ago.

Traffic definitely is a drawback. Also, unless times have changed, Houston had (has?) no zoning. The resulting visual effects can be jarring.

Nonetheless, one constructs ones world wherever one happens to be. I dislike Dallas area intensely, but I have priceless friends here !

We have lived in Houston for over 20 years. I am a tranplanted Okie and my dh is born and bred Texan. Houston is an extremely diverse city. I have lived on the east side - Yuk!! Very industrial and polluted and stinky. Pasadena's nickname is Stinkadena. We lived in Clear Lake City on the south side. Beautiful area, but lots of people for the area, very congested. It is close to Galveston though. We have lived on the northwest side between 290 and 249 for the last 13 years and it is the most desirable area for us. My dh works for HP and thier facility is on 249.

Once you learn how the highways go, Houston is very easy to get around. That is as long as you don't mind the traffic. It is very important to know how to merge into traffic and drive like a bat out of h*ll. The trick is knowing when to do your traveling.

It will take a while to get used to the heat or at least to be able function in it. But having mild winters is great.

Oh, and living on the northwest side of town makes it easier to evacuate if a hurricane is headed your way. This I know for a fact. (Rita)

Ha, ha! You guys are funny and scaring me all at the same time.

He'd be working for Texas Children and I'd want to live somewhere very safe so would that mean suburbs?

He's also got his name in for a Richmond job and I'm hoping they'll call.

A.

I've been here off and on for 13 years.

First, the water in Galveston if full of SILT b/c of where it is located in the gulf.. look on a map. I don't recommend it for hanging on the beach and don't compare it to California beaches at all.. the farther you get south of Galveston, the nicer the waves and beaches and clearer the water gets. My father and mother grew up here and were avid surfers... it can be done, but its not California.. you can't compare the two.

Houston is a very, very different city. I absolutely love it, but it takes usually 2 years living here before you begin to "love" its quirks that others hate when they visit. I've lived all over this city and know it pretty well.. if you live inner city.. its an inner city (crime, schools, etc).. but its ALOT more affordable than living inner city in another comparably sized city (ie Chicago). I lived in Montrose for many years and loved the accessibility to the museums and the culture.. but culture here you have to LOOK for, it isn't in your face like in LA, NY or Chicago.. but I like that. If you want to PM me I will happily answer any questions you have.. I have lived in Orange County, NY, Fairbanks, AK, San Antonio, Cleveland, Singapore, and Tokyo.. I have lots and lots of things to compare it to (I say this b/c most people who visit and hate it think those of us who love it have no other experience to which to compare it) and would be happy to answer any specific questions. We have a book that came out a couple years ago that is called "Houston, I like it".. it reminds us of all those things that others hate.. we love.. people stay away and it keeps our housing pricing low :lol:

In addition, the other poster is correct.. it comprises many areas.. you can live in Houston and never go to "Houston"...People inner loop don't consider the outer loop area Houston, and now that I live in the 'burbs (on the Beltway), I know why.. people outside the loop don't ever go into the city and seem to be scared of it.. go figure.. I think that's true with all big cities though. That is the other thing, Houston is alot bigger than people realize.. its the same size as Chicago.. so again, its even hard to compare to living in NC. The heat is only bad for a couple of weeks...if you only live here in July then, yep, it sucks.. but give me a break.. last I checked there are 12 months out of the year.. we have perfect weather at least 9 + mos.. come February we're calling all our friends in NY/CT (my husband is from CT and would never go back) while they are shoveling snow.

Okay, I'm stepping off my platform now..

He'd be working for Texas Children and I'd want to live somewhere very safe so would that mean suburbs?

A.

I would highly recommend montrose, museum, rice village or west u.

Houston has crime, like any major city, but its "pocketed".. b/c the city is so spread out, there are "bad" areas and "good" areas. TC (AWESOME HOSPITAL!!! - My son is under heart care there).... These areas listed are near the hospital, very near the hospital. There are TONS to do in that area. If you don't want to live in town (again, I highly recommend looking at them - there are a variety of price ranges.. West U being the most expensive and Montrose/Museum being the cheapest).. Pearland and Sugarland are going to be the easiest commute for you (59South and 288 South).. The commute to TC from Woodlands, Katy, Kingwood, Cy-Fair would be very long..Do you need to care about the school district? They are all different.. I can give you all that info..

I LOVE that area of town.. love it, love it, love.. free concerts/performances at Hermann Park.. the Zoo, the Science Museum, the Art Museum, the Japanese Garden, Rice University.. there are great running trails over there...Driving in the med center is a bit of a pain, so living close is great plus..

Alot of Medical Center people also live in Bellaire.. they like it.. not my fave.. but close to town and close to Galleria (which again, I'm not a big fan off - lots and lots of chain store shopping).. commute would be easy.

Let me know if schools are an issue and what kinds of things you guys like to do and I can give you more info..

No, the beaches are not Florida beaches but I have never seen trash like Dot described. I'm sure it happens, but it is not the norm.

Texas Children's is a great hospital. Bellaire and West University are nice areas to live very close to Texas Medical Center. I'm guessing that the homes there start at 600,000. Otherwise you would probably want to live out west or north and pay much less, if your husband is willing to commute.

West is prairie type land and north is pine trees.

Oh, Rachel. You must be perma-packed in ice to write that the heat is bad for only "a couple of weeks" per year ! :) It is morbidly hot in Houston, and I lived there from the age of fifteen months to twenty-two years. Not until I went to NC for college did I discover that the school textbooks were not lying -- that there really ARE four seasons to the year. My father told us that the British consul in Houston received "hardship pay" because of the Houston climate.

Bellaire used to be a beautiful, wonderful city. (It is an independent city engulfed by Houston on all sides.) I lived just over the border from Bellaire, 3-4 long blocks just west of the Loop. (We considered ourselves to live in Houston, and we went "inside" all the time.) From what I hear over the years, however, Bellaire turned into a yuppified, gentrified, upscale enclave for people wanting nearness to "in-loop" Houston, but not wanting to live there. I hear that it has been wrecked, just as West University was wrecked in earlier years. (Beautiful, charming, irreplaceable older homes sacrified for slapping up zero-lot-line McMansions.) . . . Anyway, Go Cardinals !

Montrose is a great location for the location. If you have children, though, isn't it pretty much townhouses and apartments, rather than single-family dwellings with yards ? (I used to go to church in Montrose, near Univ. of St. Thomas.)

To any Galvestonians: I was rapping the water and oyster shells only. The town itself is great [ ! ], and has suffered far more than its "quota" of suffering from all the storms over the years.

A.

Texas Children's is building a new facility in Katy right now, there's some really nice (and safe!) places to live out here as well as a massive homeschool community.

lots of people might recommend Sugarland if you're going to be driving in to the medical center, but Sugarland is always on the news for home invasions. i'd guess it's got the highest rate of b&e in the whole area.

I have grown to love Houston. Actually we live south of Clear Lake - 30 minutes from Downtown and 30 minutes from Galveston. Five minutes from the Kemah Boardwalk. It's perfect. Where we live is considered a recreational community. Very laid back (compared to Dallas where I grew up) and great people! The downside to where we are is there is not much diversity; very different from Houston proper. Even Clear Lake just north of us has tremendous diversity. When I taught ps in CL, I had 40 students who spoke a total of 8 languages and had 7 religions represented. The oil industry as well as the space industry means that people from all over the world come here.

Many people have spoken to the heat and truly it is hot but I feel like where we live we are far enough south that we always get a nice ocean breeze. It's not nearly as hot here as in Houston or north in the Woodlands. The mosquitoes are what bother me, not the heat so much! Another great thing is that if you garden, you have 2 growing seasons.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Oh, Rachel. You must be perma-packed in ice to write that the heat is bad for only "a couple of weeks" per year ! :) It is morbidly hot in Houston, and I lived there from the age of fifteen months to twenty-two years. Not until I went to NC for college did I discover that the school textbooks were not lying -- that there really ARE four seasons to the year. My father told us that the British consul in Houston received "hardship pay" because of the Houston climate.

Bellaire used to be a beautiful, wonderful city. (It is an independent city engulfed by Houston on all sides.) I lived just over the border from Bellaire, 3-4 long blocks just west of the Loop. (We considered ourselves to live in Houston, and we went "inside" all the time.) From what I hear over the years, however, Bellaire turned into a yuppified, gentrified, upscale enclave for people wanting nearness to "in-loop" Houston, but not wanting to live there. I hear that it has been wrecked, just as West University was wrecked in earlier years. (Beautiful, charming, irreplaceable older homes sacrified for slapping up zero-lot-line McMansions.) . . . Anyway, Go Cardinals !

Montrose is a great location for the location. If you have children, though, isn't it pretty much townhouses and apartments, rather than single-family dwellings with yards ? (I used to go to church in Montrose, near Univ. of St. Thomas.)

I guess the heat is how you look at it. I do think its hot, but I don't let that fact consume or ruin the other non-hot months (which again is 9+)..I was born and bred in AK.. it truly doesn't bother me here, but to each their own, you can focus on the "extreme" that happens a couple of weeks or keep it in perspective.. I just try to keep it in perspective. Singapore was 90+ every day of the year, its all relative. I lived in Montrose with my son.. moved to the suburbs (for a yard) and hate it.. we will be moving back to Montrose in the next few years...If you went to St.Thomas or AOS, then you are familiar with our favorite place, the Black Lab.. our office was just a block up on Montrose, our house (a townhome) a few blocks the other way. I love that area, loved the families we met, and loved the ton of things to do..There are single family homes, townhomes, and apartments (and honestly there are more apartments on the beltway and in the Galleria than in Montrose, Rice or West U) The Heights has more yard and some of the older homes in mid-town and Montrose still have yards, I guess it just depends on where you want to be.