Menu

Egg blew up in my face. . .

Perhaps I should add this to the household accident threads from a few days ago. I hardboiled an egg. I shelled it and since it was still uncooked on one area, I stuck it in the microwave. I figured that if I did it for just a few seconds that it would be ok (esp. since there was no shell on it). I figured that the worst that could happen would be having to clean the inside of the microwave. It did just fine. I took it out and started to take a bite. It blew up. My lips and nose are burned. My family gave me sympathy - and now have started in on the lip plumper and botox jokes.:glare:

Oh my! I'm so sorry! I have a habit of starting the oven on fire when I make this apple thing (I can't remember the name!:tongue_smilie:)

I've also started a fire in the microwave by putting in a pb jar to soften the pb. There was a tiny, tiny piece of aluminum from the cover and it started on fire!

I hope you feel better. I'm glad it didn't get you in the eyes.

Hope you feel better soon!

Microwaves....I once reheated a bowl of refried beans and the minute I stuck my spoon into it, it exploded all over me as well. I had terrible burns from where it stuck to my arm and I couldn't get it off fast enough. So I can imagine how your feeling.

It was just shocking!! I am definitely more cautious now :)

This reminds me of when I was in high school, at a friend's house. His parents had a NEW MICROWAVE OVEN! (Ok, this was nearly 30 years ago.) They wondered if you could hardboil an egg in it. They put an egg in a bowl of water. Can't remember how long they cooked it, but when they took it out and cracked the shell it exploded. They tried this a couple times, changing the cook times and the eggs always exploded.

This also reminds me of the Mythbusters episode where they explore the effects of microwaved jawbreakers. If you haven't seen the episode let me just say NEVER MICROWAVE A JAWBREAKER!

Cinder