Menu

We are going to a Rescue Dog Event to meet a DOG! Can we change his name?

DH has an associate who volunteers at a dog/cat rescue foundation. We went to an event last week, but we were a little overwhelmed (OK, I was overwhelmed :w00t:).

I've done alot of reading this past week (when I wasn't buying curriculum, I was reading about dogs), and this afternoon we are going to see a 'blue tick hound' who is 2 years old, house-trained, and he has the sweetest eyes.....and he has a 'serious' look on his face which would make him fit in here quite well.

'Louie' is going to be at the local event (we've emailed and the volunteers will have him there for us to meet), and we will go today at 1:30 :auto:. I think I am ready to do this....well, actually, if I 'think' I am ready, then I AM ready.

Any advice about changing a dog's name when it has been his name for two years? The worst individual that I ever worked with was named 'Louie!' The kids were joking that we should call him 'Blouie' (blue tick hound) instead, but I really prefer dignified dog names...so Louie probably wouldn't cut it anyway.

Hopefully, I will have good news later on this evening. The 'dog tale/tail' for our family has been a very long one -- behavior here had to change radically (over a two year period) for us to get to this place, so I am thankful that we can go do this today.

We adopted a 6yo dd (darling dog) and kept her name (the name was fine and she responded to it). Just like our kids have nicknames so did the dogs. Well, she eventually had her nickname too. After a while she began to recognize that this nickname meant her and she began to answer to both her name and nickname. It probably took a few months and some food based reinforcement (ie. time for dinner ... rather than time for dinner original name).

We adopted a rescue, a terrier mix who was between 1 and 3 years old. We changed his name...the rescue organization didn't know his name (they rescued him from a county animal control) and had been calling him "scruffy". So he wasn't wedded to it. He became "Wilson" (no idea why...the boys picked it) and it turned out to be apt as he has a tennis ball fetish. He very quickly responded to his name, with no issues.

We were given a 9 month old Golden Retriever named Buddy. Problem was, I call my boys "buddy" all time. I would say to one of them, "Come here little buddy and snuggle with me." And here would come the dog! We figured out pretty quickly that it was going to be easier to change the dog's name than this habit I had developed over 8 years!

In the research I did they recommended choosing a new name and for awhile call the dog by his new name followed by the old. We wanted to change his name to Wrigley (as in Wrigley Field) so for several weeks we called him "Wrigley Buddy". Soon we were able to drop the "Buddy" and he responded just fine to Wrigley.

Good luck finding a new member of your family! They are such a blessing.

Have fun and good luck meeting the pup! We have adopted a two older german shep rescue dogs. We changed one of the dog's names because she had the same name as my dog that had just died. We just couldn't keep that name and since the rescue had named her, and it probably wasn't her original name, we changed it to Frieda. Our other rescue girl's name is Happy Girl, and we thought about whether we should change it or not, and decided not to - it just suits her.

Veronica

No experience in changing a dog's name, but I do have experience in positive dog training . . . and I'm almost certain that you could easily change the dog's name very quickly with some affection and food-based treats. :)

When your dog is nearby, say the new name in a cheerful, somewhat high-pitched voice. If he turns to look at you, give him a treat and a pet. You can do this repeatedly. Maybe even give him most or all of his daily kibble that way, over the course of the day (measure it out every morning to make sure you're not overfeeding).

I recommend that you do the same thing with housetraining - maybe for the first week or so, to establish good habits. Take him outside to his designated potty spot, and if he goes, tell him what a good boy he is and give him a treat.

Good luck and please report back! We are getting our new dog in less than a week, and have waited a long time for him . . . so I think I know what you're feeling!

We got our dog from a shelter, where they named her Flicka. We changed her name to Lucy and she's had no problems with the name change.

I will not let my dd see this post since her name is Lucy and she hates it when she hears of dogs named that!;) (which we do hear of all the time!)

Our girl was 2 when we rescued her and the shelter had named her "Star" for a white patch on her head. But we changed it to Penny and she picked it up right away.

Can't wait to hear your adoption story today!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences! We have a few friends whose dds are named 'lucy' so I can imagine your dd's consternation hearing a pet with her name. Actually, while brainstorming names of New York Yankee baseball players, without thinking, I came up with 'Mariano' for 'Mariano Rivera' (amazing Yankee reliever) -- DH looked at me with THAT look: DH's name is 'Mariano.' SHEESH!

Will report back tonight!

and, I am very excited about this...which I am happy about...b/c last Friday night I was incredibly NOt READY!:tongue_smilie:

and, I am very excited about this...which I am happy about...b/c last Friday night I was incredibly NOt READY!:tongue_smilie:

Mariann, I so know what you mean! Two months ago we came very close to getting another dog. As in, the breeder was scheduled to deliver him to our house when I cancelled four hours prior! :001_unsure: Something just wasn't right . . . I wasn't ready . . . and I literally had an anxiety attack trying to figure out why I wasn't happy for the big event.

Well, it turns out that we are now getting the right breed (for us) and are eagerly awaiting his arrival on Friday. I've been preparing for over a month, buying supplies and reading everything I could get my hands on. And now it feels right and I am excited. Hopefully this is a sign (for me and for you) that this is the right dog for our family!

Do report back! :)

Any advice about changing a dog's name when it has been his name for two years?

Change the spelling to Louis, but pronounce it the French way. Add "the 14th" at the end if you want to be classy.

Really, I've known Blues, and they are informal dogs.

Keep the L if you must, and put a sharp consonant in it a T or a K.

How about "Luten". That sounds formal.

Mariann, my sister ended up with her rescue dog after Cesar Millan took him on. (Cesar and the shelter woman were friends.) The dog's name was JoJo, maybe nice for a lapdog, but he was 80 lbs. My sister renamed him Friday.

We have a blue tick coonhound mutt. He looks blue tick coonhoundish, but definitely not purebred. He's the best family dog EVER, very passive in the house, a total slug (think greyhound). I don't really like dogs, but this one's so good.

Very exciting for your family! (And if you're looking for a combination new "strong" name/old name, you could consider Blue.)

:)