Menu

Creative types please help

I am trying to decorate my boys' room in a castle/knight theme. I am so not creative so I need all the help I can get. :D I was thinking of sticking to gray/black with red accents. We rent, so i cannot paint the walls. It is a small room so I cannot buy anymore furniture. I was thinking of new bedding, maybe something that looks like stones of a castle. That's all I have so far. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am very far from "the creative type", but I just had an idea for any bookcases which might be in the boys' room.

This weblink is just a randomly-chosen example for "contact paper" :

http://www.berlinwallpaper.com/dcfix/Marble.htm

Select a contact paper in a stone/granite print, either grey or brown. (Scroll down this page to see examples.) Cover the bookcase exterior with this paper. With a sharp-pointed black marker, draw irregularly-shaped outlines of interlocked "stones" on the paper.

Results is a "medieval bookcase" !

Most landlords permit a reasonable amount of "things hung on walls". If you check the Internet for websites with medieval-themed children's craft projects, you probably will find some patterns for banners and shields. If your sons are old enough to help make some of these, they can take pride in their workmanship -- and hang the results on the walls.

Two ways you could decorate the walls. 1) use cardboard and paint it like a castle and then attach it to the walls. I would use that blue painters tape which shouldn't damage the walls. 2) that a white or grey sheet and paint it like a castle and again find some way to attach it to the walls without hurting the walls.

Also you could make banners out of felt and hang them from ceiling. If you have two boys give each one a design (one a dragon and one a lion and/or make one blue and one red). Also you can again use cardboard and paint a shield/swords and hang it on the wall. Since you rent I wouldn't try to make these permanent or very sturdy items. If you make it out of cardboard you can always replace them if they get ruined.

Put stars on the ceiling.

That's all I can think of.

Well, you could buy lots of foam board (long pieces that would be about 2/3 of the height of the room). You could buy enough to be the length of one wall or all four....

Cut the tops of the foam board to mimic the shape of the top of a castle. You could also cut out some slits (windows). Cover it using the contact paper another poster listed or sponge paint it gray/white/brown. Then, draw 'blocks' to create a stone look.

Since it is foam board, you can actually tack it up w/ pins or very small nails.

You could also drape some fabric across the ceiling too (for a more 'medieval' look).

If there's an Ikea near you, they have some 'torch' lighting in the kids' section.

If you can't find bedding that looks like stones, you could go for a solid color bedspread/duvet & then use felt that you cut & sew on the top as decoration. You could do a dragon on one & a shield or knight on the other one. Make a family crest for each one. Or a castle shape on each one.

Also, you could get a metal curtain rod & try to find curtains that would look like a tapestry of some sort.

Don't forget the portcullis!

Make one out of cardboard or foam board and mount it on the top of the side of the door frame that the door doesn't cross over. If your kids are young, you can make one that comes down a few feet, as long as grown-ups won't mind ducking a bit to enter the room.

Our neighbors did a castle theme for their baby room. It turned out just adorable and they didn't spend much money on it. To make the book case look like a castle wall they added trim at the top to given it that square turret look. They then painted the entire bookcase light grey, used a small sponge with black paint and did random spots. Over that they did sponge rectangles in a mid grey tone in a brick pattern. After he graduated into a twin bed, they did the same thing to the bed so it looked like a stone bed, The comforter was not grey though - it was blue with a huge green dragon. She knew how to sew so she bought a cheap solid comforter and then used an opaque projector to make a dragon out of felt which she then sewed on the comforter. On another wall she hung a large piece of fabric that made someone think of a tapestry. I think it was upholstry fabric with a large design insteadof small ones. She used heavy rope that she attached in the corners and sewed the fabric over the ropes. She had another one she used as curtains over the window. Over the closet she made another banner thing that was made to look like a fire place. I am sure there were other things but this is all I can remember at the moment. I love the castle theme!

We had great luck with this renters' trick:

wet fabric with liquid starch, squeeze out excess, smooth onto wall

fabric will stay on the wall and comes off easily

(You could use gray fabric and cut stone shapes or you might find a castle theme print meant for making pillows or quilts. Using bits and pieces of remnants, you could also fashion a fireplace with a roaring fire or a dragon or a window with a view of the kingdom)

When we did this we used cotton ocean panels meant to make pillows. When we took it down after 2 years the wall was fine except for being cleaner where the fabric was. HTH