Menu

I need puppy advice asap!

On a local forum today another mom posted that she had a few pug/chihuaha puppies for sale...also known as chugs or pugwawas.

She said her husband wanted them out ASAP, as the mom was a rescue he never wanted the puppies in the first place.

They are 6 weeks old.

Soo, I call my mom to tell her about our new baby and she tells me that they need to stay with their mom for another 2 weeks. Well, that ain't happenin, so one of them is on it's way to my house as I type this.

What do I need to know about a young puppy? Do I need to run down to Walmart and get him some puppy formula? Should I attempt to pump some breastmilk for him? Should I hold him all night because he's going to miss his mama?

How about caring for him through the night tonight? In my room or in a crate alone? I'm thinking in a box by my bed...or do we need to cosleep since he's so tiny?

Help!!!!

On a local forum today another mom posted that she had a few pug/chihuaha puppies for sale...also known as chugs or pugwawas.

She said her husband wanted them out ASAP, as the mom was a rescue he never wanted the puppies in the first place.

They are 6 weeks old.

Soo, I call my mom to tell her about our new baby and she tells me that they need to stay with their mom for another 2 weeks. Well, that ain't happenin, so one of them is on it's way to my house as I type this.

What do I need to know about a young puppy? Do I need to run down to Walmart and get him some puppy formula? Should I attempt to pump some breastmilk for him? Should I hold him all night because he's going to miss his mama?

How about caring for him through the night tonight? In my room or in a crate alone? I'm thinking in a box by my bed...or do we need to cosleep since he's so tiny?

Help!!!!

Well, in my opinion 6 wk is young but as long as puppie has been weaned he will be ok there. You need to know what food he has been eating and try to continue with that if possible. When and if you change it would be best if you changed gradually, mixing old and new.

Do you have a crate for this puppie? If so, and that is what you are wanting(I highly advise)I would put the him in the crate and keep him where you can easily hear him. He is going to probably need to go outside in the night and most, even at this age won't mess in the their crate unless sick. I would not co-sleep unless this is what you are planning on doing long term. In our house our dogs get to sleep in their crate in the school room. We don't give them the privelage of sleeping in our beds nor in our bedrooms.

Hope this helps a little.

Let him sleep in your room right by your bed. I'd give him some puppy formula for a while, but that's just me:-) That poor mama who's having her puppies taken all at once. :-( But, puppy in crate in your room. Wire crate is what we use...if it's too big, you'll want to make it..."just the right size" and no blankets until it's older...or until you know it won't chew. (that can end up in the puppies tummy)

Carrie

Okay, I just got more info. Mama won't nurse the puppies anymore. He tried but got rejected.

I have a plastic storage bin. I was going to put a towel in that and stick it next to my bed.

Do I need to chuck that idea and go get our crate from the garage? We already have one dog so we do have a crate and some dog food, but I will find out what he's been eating and get that in the morning.

When you say no blankets...does that mean he can't have anything to sleep on?

ETA- thanks so much for answering my questions!!!! I'm super excited but nervous about messing up this poor little guy.

Should I attempt to pump some breastmilk for him? Should I hold him all night because he's going to miss his mama?

I think you're going to make a WONDERFUL dog mommy!

My advice: Get a very small crate. I *would* put a blanket in it, though I understand the thinking on why not to (because it's absorbant). Then put the puppy in the crate, and put the crate on your bed or right beside your bed. The puppy will likely cry, but he won't actually be alone.

The puppy will not be able to go through the night without peeing, so set the alarm (or probably the puppy will wake you up), and take him out every three hours or so.

I don't know at what age they can sleep through the night without getting up to pee, but they grow up really fast. I know we say that about kids, but with kids, it's the YEARS that go by fast. With puppies, it's just weeks.

(I don't think a rescue dog should have been bred, especially to a different breed, especially when the dog's human dad didn't want puppies. But it's nice of you to take one of the puppies.)

Happy bonding. :)

It's fun to read and see some different views about puppy raising. It's easiest to not "allow" accidents rather that to try to "stop" them. Puppy in crate or on leash for a couple of weeks (while inside) will lend to you having them outside for going "peepee" and such... And, if you take them out to a special spot, you may be able to have only one part of the yard be the "potty" area.

Carrie:-)

(I don't think a rescue dog should have been bred, especially to a different breed, especially when the dog's human dad didn't want puppies. But it's nice of you to take one of the puppies.)

Happy bonding. :)

Just a guess...but the dog was probably pregnant when she was rescued...

We've ended up fostering several pregnant cats that way and have had the opportunity to foster a pregnant dog, but it didn't work out as we already had the pregnant cat :)

Rita

If he gets lonely at night in his box, you can also get a hot water bottle and fill it with hot water and cover with a thin blanket for him. They like this cause it feels like having another puppy to sleep with. Also those machines you can get (teddy bears alot of the time) that play heartbeat noises some puppies also love these.

edited to add: some puppies like the ticking of an old fashioned ticking alarm clock also

Edited by TheTwinsMom1
forgot to say something

Shoot, I'm a psycho puppy mom. I carried mine around in a sling and let her sleep with me. She is bonded very closely with me. Downside is I'm the only one she listens to.

I didn't know that was crazy! I carried my kitty around all over!

Carrie:-)

PS And now, she doesn't ever get out of our face!

I highly recommend the book "Before & After Getting your puppy" by Ian Dunbar. It's the bible of puppy raising. Good luck!!

I agree; I just read this in preparation for getting our new puppy next week. It is excellent, balanced advice.

Good luck with your new little one. Poor little thing, getting taken from its momma so early :( But it sounds like he's going to have the best possible human momma instead.

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm going to look for that book at the library.

Cindy, so far he doesn't have a name. My oldest wants to name him after her latest rock band crush and my little ones want to call him cutesy name. Dh wants to cal him Biscuit and I'm not picky as long as it's not too cutesy. I am partial to human names for pets. Our other dog is called Emily.

We had a checkup yesterday and he's perfectly healthy and only weighs 3 lbs, lol! He got his first round of shots and seems to have gotten over the stress of moving in with us and is now eating and pooping regularly.

Oy. Breeding cute mutt dogs on purpose and selling them. Ack.

Which wasn't your question in the first place--sorry for the sidetrack, but it's one of my pet peeves.

Anyway, here's my advice: crate training. I wish I had known about crate training the last time I had a puppy. And if I ever have another one, we'll be crate training.

Also, feed your puppy a good puppy kibble. I'm partial to Innova, but it's pricey and isn't available everywhere. Iams, Eukanuba, and other similar brands tend to be better than grocery store brands.