Menu

Bookcase with books just went crashing to the floor!!!!

After spending about 3 hours organizing ALL our books (4 ceiling height book) I'm standing at my desk and all of a sudden 2 shelves off of one of the bookcases come crashing to the floor with all the books. And one more is ready to go. Ugh. I guess the weight load limit is for real! LOL!

So, I'm heading to Home Depot to get some furring strips to screw in under the shelf so it will be sturdy again.

Anyway, if I decide to get new bookcases in the future, where can I get Heavy Duty ones?

(I've checked out Ikea's Billy bookcases but the weight load is only 66lbs per shelf and that's NOT enough.)

Any ideas?

After spending about 3 hours organizing ALL our books (4 ceiling height book) I'm standing at my desk and all of a sudden 2 shelves off of one of the bookcases come crashing to the floor with all the books. And one more is ready to go. Ugh. I guess the weight load limit is for real! LOL!

So, I'm heading to Home Depot to get some furring strips to screw in under the shelf so it will be sturdy again.

Anyway, if I decide to get new bookcases in the future, where can I get Heavy Duty ones?

(I've checked out Ikea's Billy bookcases but the weight load is only 66lbs per shelf and that's NOT enough.)

Any ideas?

This might not be much help depending on your decorating scheme: but we use milk crates and use those plastic zip ties to keep them together. And it's not because we can't afford anything else. We can just make those the absolute sturdiest for all of our books. If anyone comes over they usually don't notice - it looks pretty good since they are so deep and most of them are black anyway. We've also used bricks and boards because they are so sturdy.

Any ideas?

I really like the Whittier Wood bookcases that we bought at Lowe's years ago. They are unstained, so you would have to stain and varnish them. Ours turned out nicely. So far they have held up to at least two transPacific moves and a couple years in storage. They are very solid, look lovely and hold tons of books.

Oooo - that looks nice!

We haven't had any problems with our Billy book cases from IKEA, and we do load them up but we also attach then to the wall.

I think 66lbs is a lot for any shelf. What do you have on there?

The Liatrope holds 88 lbs, but I really don't know how much weight I have on the shelves.

OK, Thanks for the shelf suggestions. I'll look at the various places you suggested.

For now hubby just screwed wood slats under the shelves to hold them up. As he was doing it though, another shelf above fell! On him! He got a good whack on the head and a book fell and split my toenail open. (oops. I guess I shouldn't be helping with it in flip flops.)

As for the books, I have no idea how much weight is on them, but they are wider than normal shelves so they hold more books. And, I had a lot of resource type books on these particular ones. Dictionaries, Encyclopedia set, 13 vol kid encyc. set...

Anyway, I have weeded out a LOT of books due to this mishap, so I'll be adding another LONG post on the sale board tomorrow! LOL!

Thanks,

Tiffany