Menu

AAS Level 5--it's out!

How are your kids doing with their spelling outside of the spelling lessons? Are you seeing good carry over?

Thanks for any tips or recommendations! I'm trying to decide if I should take the plunge...

Spelling will never be easy for dd. She tried to spell "timber" as "temper" the other day.

That said, yes, she's made huge improvements. I would say in the year + 3 months we've been *committed* to using it, she's improved well over two grade levels. She was so proud that her last writing assignment had only four misspellings in the rough draft - I was too! :) I see it carry over relatively well. She's written letters more than she wanted to before, and I think it's given her more confidence in other areas, to know she can get what she means across.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Spelling will never be easy for dd. She tried to spell "timber" as "temper" the other day.

That said, yes, she's made huge improvements. I would say in the year + 3 months we've been *committed* to using it, she's improved well over two grade levels. She was so proud that her last writing assignment had only four misspellings in the rough draft - I was too! :) I see it carry over relatively well. She's written letters more than she wanted to before, and I think it's given her more confidence in other areas, to know she can get what she means across.

I've seen improvement in spelling and reading since beginning AAS. I'm very happy with the program and feel that it is a great investment even though I only have ONE student who will benefit from it. (Though I must confess that I have hopes of a grandchild someday using it....)

I ordered Level 4 & 5 to save on the shipping. I really regretted not purchasing Level 4 when it came out and was discounted. (We're just starting Level 3 so we'll be prepared for the future.)

I'm considering AAS for my rising 3rd grader and I had a few questions -

- Should she start at Level one?

- If we start at level one does it take an entire year to finish? Or should I also purchase level two?

- Her younger brother will be doing K, should I teach him level one as well? He will be doing OPGTR, ETC, so would AAS be overkill?

Thanks for your help!

How are your kids doing with their spelling outside of the spelling lessons? Are you seeing good carry over?

Thanks for any tips or recommendations! I'm trying to decide if I should take the plunge...

My kids also improved a lot--2-3 grade levels in both reading and LA in their RIT scores on their tests this year. My dd even improved a lot in math, and I think it's because she was reading better. Both kids are more willing to write things, and they pay more attention to spelling. They might still miss a fair amount of things on a rough draft, but they find their errors & are able to fix them more readily when I have them edit (which I usually do on a separate day). My son won the "most improved" award in our local spelling bee--he was so much more confident this year than last.

Merry :-)

- If we start at level one does it take an entire year to finish? Or should I also purchase level two?

- Her younger brother will be doing K, should I teach him level one as well? He will be doing OPGTR, ETC, so would AAS be overkill?

Thanks for your help!

I had my third grader start in level one. She did levels one, two, and most of three before the end of the school year.

Thanks for your help!

If you decide to get it, I'd wait to start your K student until after your daughter is done with Level 1. Three phonics programs at once does sound like a lot, even though AAS is more geared towards spelling (it can help with reading too). I'd probably pick one or two of them at a time.

Probably your 3rd grader need to start at level 1, but did you read the FAQ article about whether to start at Level 1 or 2? That can help you decide. I don't think it would take all year for her to do level 1--probably she'd at least get to Level 2. A lot depends on how easy or hard it is for them.

Merry :-)