Menu

I am a curriculum junkie

Well, I would be a curriculum junkie if I could afford to go out and spend as much as I wanted.

I keep seeing different curriculums for various subjects and going, "That looks good!" and then I see something else, "Oh, look at that! It's pretty, and the way that they teach [blah, blah, blah] makes so much sense!"

From one to another, stop the madness now! Just put down the catalog! :D

Seriously though, it is no fun to always be second-guessing yourself. If there is any way to research, pick and go, you owe it to yourself to try it!

Hi, my name is Danielle and I am a curriculum junky.

I control it by window shopping a lot and setting a limit to what I can spend each month. I am committed to buying used and saving money...Amazon doesn't count.:D Don't judge me.:D

Me, too. I've learned that if I plan ahead and stick with what I've purchased, I'm not as bad as I once was. I also only purchase twice a year - big purchase at the beginning of the school year then once again halfway through for the stuff I've discovered I "need." Also, I've learned to set a dollar limit for myself.

All that said, I've already purchased for the upcoming school year and have about $60 worth that I won't be using simply because by having it in my hands, I've discovered I don't like it.

I used to be a curriculum junkie too. As my kids have gotten older, I've run out of curriculum to try. My friend and I purchased and shared so we could try everything. We started with preschool stuff and now our kids are in middle school. I'd hate to list it all out.

Of course, the problem with trying so many materials is a lack of consistency in our kids' educations. We learned that the hard way too.

I was a curriculum junkie.

I read somewhere that buying curriculum is a homeschooling teacher's training- we dont have the benefit of several years of teacher's college. We are straight in the deep end. Buying curriculum is how we learn what works for us and for our kids, and it can often take a few tries to learn either a) a particular program wors better than another, or b) our kids will complain at any program and we should have just stopped at the first one we tried. Either way, its a learning experience.

Its even more expensive to be a curriculumn junkie in Australia because most curriculum is American and the exchange rate and postage make it horrendous. However, I still managed it for several years :)

Its been 6 years now and it has kind of worn off. I know what most people are talking about and even have an opinion about many curriculums. I have tried a lot. I still look and sometimes try something new, but its not so addictive or compulsive as it used to be.

I have actually felt it has been a benefit for my kids to use various English and maths programs. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I know a family who have used only R&S and Saxon and I know that wouldn't work for us. Boring.

Anyway, I dont think you shoudl give yourself a hard time, as long as you keep the kids' best interest at heart.

I read somewhere that buying curriculum is a homeschooling teacher's training- we dont have the benefit of several years of teacher's college. We are straight in the deep end. Buying curriculum is how we learn what works for us and for our kids, and it can often take a few tries to learn either a) a particular program wors better than another, or b) our kids will complain at any program and we should have just stopped at the first one we tried. Either way, its a learning experience.

Anyway, I dont think you shoudl give yourself a hard time, as long as you keep the kids' best interest at heart.

:iagree: