Menu

What do you think is the most important thing that you taught your child.......

I would have to say how to read....

reading was always such a hard subject for me and I hated it... I never finished a novel that was required in school or on my personal time until I was an adult..... so to be able to teach my dd not only to read but listening to her read makes me tear up every time.... silly I know but I just can't help it.... I think it has given me confidence as a mom and person..... no curriculum baby just her and I and the book :D YEAH!

hehe I know.... i'm a dork but i can't help it :p

Kate

Academic wise: learning to read (is there an echo in here). My ds spent prek and K in private school and he ended up behind in his reading. It's been a long road and ds is now 10 and finally taking more intiative in his reading and enjoying his success. There were days (weeks, months) I thought we'd never get here. I just kept reminding myself I felt that way about potty training and we finally made it through that one. ;)

character wise: honesty, it's always the best policy.

Can I have a tie?

Academically, it's to read & to print letters in order to write. With ds, printing was an outstanding triumph. For my dd, writing allows her to express her own ideas and she has a lot!

Character-wise.... To forgive others (and yourself without making excuses) and peaceful tolerance of others with different ideas. it's ok to disagree.

Also, no hitting (or strangling each other)

For our homeschool, the most important thing is to lead our 3 sons to Christ. The most important academic goal was to teach our boys a love of reading. All 3 boys enjoy reading at home outside of schooltime, in the car, on vacation, while we're camping, etc. The most important character trait is to be self-controlled; honesty is a very close second. We are still working on these though.

Faith and trust in their Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. To know they are sons of God.

Academically: to be prepared for whatever path they choose later in life.

The academic and the character trait are combined: How to find information and learn on their own and how to think independently.

I cannot take much credit for them learning to read. To me it is a skill like walking and talking. You can guide a child, but they have to figure out how to really do it on their own.

Guest Lorna

I have taught them to be gentle and that they are loved just as they are - this I hope has translated into them accepting that everyone is equally valuable to the world.

Academically, I hope I have given them the right opportunities at the right time.

Academically?

Character? Mine are little (9 7.5 4.5) so nothing I've taught them academically holds any weight compared to what we've attempted to pour into their characters.

Some fav. character lessons:

- keeping a soft, teachable heart.

- getting up again and again after you've made a mistake

- forgiveness

- eating an elephant one bite at a time

- the easiest way from Point A to Point B is a straight line

- You are lovely in the sight of God, despite what you feel about yourself

- Using your spiritual eyes and ears to see and hear from God.

- Obedience is an act that glorifies God and your Parents -- you get to.

- Giving respect to those deserving of it

- the difference between being internally and externally motivated

- the concept of making family life a win-win-win.

- struggle is a good thing. You can't always get what you want.

- First things First.

These ideas take precedence over any academic teaching we could do right now.