Menu

plan for my 5th grader--pls take a look-- What have I forgotten? Thanks!

Here is what I have tentatively plannedfor my fifth grade dd - who is an extremely hard-working, studious, conscientious, and pleasant young lady;

Madison is going to take a small group IEW writing class - she began IEW in third grade and is doing wonderfully with it -- I will make an attempt to organize this list so it is easy to read.

MATH - Saxon 6/5

SCIENCE - Real Chemistry OR RS4K Chemistry I (Feedback, experiences?)

HISTORY - VP Ren & Ref

LATIN - Christiana (I think) - this will be Madison's 3rd year of Latin

WORLD GEOGRAPHY - "Mapping the World" by Heartlite and "Geography through Literature" by Hollings

LANGUAGE ARTS - Small Group IEW Class; "Worldly Wise 3000"

LITERATURE - to include: The Door in the Wall; The Bronze Bow; Beowulf; King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table; Anne of Green Gables; Island of the Blue Dolphins;

BIBLE - ?

POETRY/MEMORIZATION - ?

I appreciate your feedback. I will work on the twins' third grade stuff over the weekend or the beginning of next week -- I really do need to take a break from this.

A great holiday weekend to everyone!

Thank you -- I know my dh thinks I have lost my mind, but after the debacle two years ago with the twins and homeschooling, I am taking the time to have a definite plan -- and I am definitely able to fly by the seat of my pants, change horses mid-stream, etc., BUT only if I know that there is a 'real' plan in place.

Thank you again --

Here is what I have tentatively plannedfor my fifth grade dd - who is an extremely hard-working, studious, conscientious, and pleasant young lady;

Madison is going to take a small group IEW writing class - she began IEW in third grade and is doing wonderfully with it -- I will make an attempt to organize this list so it is easy to read.

MATH - Saxon 6/5

HISTORY - VP Ren & Ref

WORLD GEOGRAPHY - "Mapping the World" by Heartlite and "Geography through Literature" by Hollings

LITERATURE - to include: The Door in the Wall; The Bronze Bow; Beowulf; King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table; Anne of Green Gables; Island of the Blue Dolphins;

BIBLE - ?

POETRY/MEMORIZATION - ?

I appreciate your feedback. I will work on the twins' third grade stuff over the weekend or the beginning of next week -- I really do need to take a break from this.

I don't think you have forgotten anything. It looks very similar to my plans for my 5th grader:

math- Horizons 6

LA- PTIW, AG, spelling, lit (historical fiction for history)

history- 2nd 1/2 of American history

science- books on whatever topics interest her (most likely birds!)

French/Latin (2x/3x per week one week and reverse 3x/2x per week the next)

geography- Map Essentials

religion- catechism

Hope you enjoy your yr!

Looks good except I don't think you'll have enough science for the year. I've used RS4K. It's designed to take about 12 weeks (though one time I used the chemistry and stretched it out over a whole semester - it worked beautifully for us doing it that way at that time).

This year my 6th grade dd is doing chemistry. We're using The Elements (not RS4K), but I faced the same need to add some things to help make it a year-long course. This is what I added:

The World of Chemistry by John Hudson Tiner

Robert Boyle by John Hudson Tiner

The Mystery of the Periodic Table

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Laura

Edited by Laura W.

MATH - Saxon 6/5

HISTORY - VP Ren & Ref

BIBLE - ?

POETRY/MEMORIZATION - ?

The only thing I don't see is grammar unless that is taught as part of the IEW class. For Bible my 5th grader will be doing several of Kay Arthur's Discover 4 Yourself series this coming year. Right now she just picks a book (she's currently reading Revelations), read a chapter a day, and writes a few sentences about whatever caught her attention. HTH

Your plans look good so far.

FWIW here's our plans for dd 5th grade next year:

Math: Teaching Textbooks Math 5

LA (Spelling, Grammar, Vocabulary, Composition, Literature): K12 5th grade

History: K12 5th grade, uses The Story of Us by Joy Hakim Vols. 1-6

Art: K12, goes with the history courses studies art in the time period

Science: K12 5th grade

Bible: Reading through the Bible chapter by chapter & writing down favorite verses. Also AWANA - Truth & Training.

Foreign Language: ?? Maybe PowerGlide Latin or Spanish or EFTRU

Memorization: ?? Mabye Living Memory pulling out US History stuff that goes with her history & science stuff that goes with her science ???

Logic: ???? Maybe Mind Benders Cd roms?? TBD :tongue_smilie:

Organization of all this stuff - Workboxes!! My new obsession. :lol: