Menu

Picture Envy

In visiting some of the blogs from WTM members and noticed two things. You all are a pretty interesting bunch and you take great photos.

My own photos aren't nearly as vivid. I've been thinking about getting a new camera for a while now. Mine is pretty pathetic and has been "loved on" a little too much by one of my little guys when he was a toddler.

I'm looking for recommendations. What kind of camera do you use and what do you like best about it?

Cathy

We have an 8 year old Sony Cybershot (amusingly, my BlackBerry has the same pixel count on its on-board camera) that we use for keeping in a pocket and grabbing quick shots here and there.

For "good" pictures, we have a Canon EOS. ("good" meaning we could blow up a photo for a billboard as opposed to just 8 x 10)

I can't take a good picture with either (though I may have a slightly better shot with the Canon) but that seems to be some sort of aural rejection of auto-focus cameras on my part. :tongue_smilie:

We have a few cameras, and it all depends on where we are going as to what camera is taken along ( this is more me than DH as I hate lugging the larger cameras around in the heat :D )

DH has Canon 450D and I have a Canon 400D., both of which are easy to use.

Dh spends a little time on the Canon website, and listening to podcasts, learning about better ways to use his camera, how to take great shots etc....and Im an aim and shoot girl.

I would love to study photography "one day", but for now, Im just happy taking photos of anyone and anything.

We also all share a Casio Exilim (EXZ9), and the kids have a few cheapie, basic digital cameras, which all take good photos.

I have a Nikon D700 and D300 digital slr cameras. My favorite lens is the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, but I also love my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR but it is heavy! Most of my photographer friends start out and love their nifty 50s. I love Photoshop and this past year have fallen in love with Kubota and Totally Rad Actions.

I just totally forgot I started a dslr forum geared for moms starting out (although not very active hehe):

http://www.dslrcommunity.com/

All my life I wanted to get into photography "one day", and that day turned out just over a year ago! I read Understanding Exposure until I understood it well, took Bryan Peterson's online classes and read every book, joined lots of forums, and experimented everyday. So glad I made that little effort to start, it has been one of the most rewarding hobbies in my life.

In visiting some of the blogs from WTM members and noticed two things. You all are a pretty interesting bunch and you take great photos.

My own photos aren't nearly as vivid. I've been thinking about getting a new camera for a while now. Mine is pretty pathetic and has been "loved on" a little too much by one of my little guys when he was a toddler.

I'm looking for recommendations. What kind of camera do you use and what do you like best about it?

Cathy

Oh, oooh, ooooh... I have been waiting and waiting to get my new camera. It is the Nikon D-80. I can not wait for my current camera to die so I have a good reason to get one. The Nikon is awsome but expensive.

A good all around cheaper camera is the one I have. It is a Kodak easy share. It is very simple and it really does take great pictures. I have been able to take great shots of the Northern Lights, low light pictures, close up pictures etc. It has different modes you can set for your personal preference. Great all around camera but can't wait to do more with a Nikon d-80. *salivating*

I don't know about cameras, but I do know a tiny bit about taking pictures. Not a lot, I've never taken a class or anything, but I get a lot of compliments on my pictures and have been asked to take pix for a couple of weddings (just the natural shots--not the professional type.)

However, it's best to take VERY CLOSE pictures. If you're going to take a picture of someone's face, or maybe 2 or 3 people, make sure you're close enough that only the faces are in the frame. Only the faces--not the wall behind them. Keep getting closer and closer until it's only the person in the pix.

For example, I see so many pictures taken at dinner. Someone has a camera across the table and says, 'Get closer together so I can take your picture!' and you smush together.

Then when the picture comes out, you can see the two people smushed together in the middle of the picture, but you can also see the entire room around them. The didn't need to have smushed together! They could have sat 2 feet apart and still been in the shot. Don't do that. Zoom in just to get the faces and upper body at dinner.

People tell me all the time what great pictures I take, and honestly, the main thing I do is make sure the person is fully in the frame. If it's the whole body, then their head is at the very top of the picture and their feet at the very bottom--I can't see a ceiling or floor in my picture, just the person.

If you do want to take a picture of a person and include the setting (like at the beach or in a field) then put your person a little off center and let half the picture be of the person and the other half be of the setting. It's better than the person smack in the middle. Somehow it's more interesting.

And once you have those two tips down, be careful about shadows in outdoor pictures. I've taken a lot where the person's face is in shadow because their back was to the sun. Try to get them to face the sun.

Those are my layman's tricks and they work well even if you have a cheap camera.

I have a Nikon d-80; it was a Christmas gift from dh. He bought a fully-loaded deal: camera, multiple lenses, case, dvds, etc. However, it is now July and I still don't know how to use the camera beyond the automatic setting and point and shoot. Luckily, all pictures come out fantastic, so even an amateur like myself has awesome pictures.

I've been a photographer, professionally, since I was a teen, although not currently. (How's that for confusing? I'll shorten. I love photography. Made a good living from it for many years.) Through the years, I've gotten great use from anything Canon makes. My current digital is a Canon.

I also second what another poster said. Get in closer. If you don't do it in the camera, please crop a bit with your computer.

Put light to the side or the back of the subject. It adds interest and 'sparkle' as one of my mentor's used to say. Early morning and late afternoon light is softer and mellower...it is your friend.

The last piece of advice is this...take a lot of photos. Toss out everything that isn't wonderful....if you take enough, you'll get wonderful eventually...and if that is all you ever let others see, your reputation is made.