Menu

Are you offended by the phrase "good luck"?

It makes me cringe because years ago, my Japanese teacher told me that us westerners relied on luck while the Japanese worked hard. That comment really stuck with me.

But it doesn't offend me.

We had a Japanese exchange student years ago (we are still close to her) and she was offended because we told her she was a talented muscian. She said she worked hard...it wasn't talent. That has always stuck with me too.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was born again in 1980, I used to say "good luck" and got lectured all the time from Christians. I don't think I believed in random chance even before becoming a Christian, it was just an expression, a figure of speech. At the time it was explained to me to not talk about being "lucky" but rather being "fortunate," so as to create some sort of distinction. I've since learned that the Roman goddess Fortuna is styled as "Lady Luck" in our culture, and that the distinction between "luck" and "fortune" is purely semantic.

Anyway, I think many Christians in their devotion go around making a lot of such issues. I've come full circle on that one, and no longer consider it a big deal when someone, especially a Christian, innocently says "good luck" or being "lucky." If anyone is generally concerned about pagan influences in our culture, one would have to live in a cave to keep oneself pristine.

I don't like the phrase and don't use it, and ask my kids to not use it. I don't think I'd ever say to someone to NOT wish me luck though. Instead, I've found that responding with, "I don't need luck, I have the blessing of God!" usually conveys my convictions quite well. :)

I have a habit of wishing people good luck when I hope things work well for them. I had a friend recently that requested I not say that to her anymore. We are moderate to conservative Christians and don't really believe in luck. I guess what I really mean is best wishes. I have never really thought about it and don't want to offend anyone. Does anyone else have a problem with this and if so why?

:001_smile:

I don't usually say it, because I try to say what I mean, and it doesn't fit. I don't believe in luck, so I don't throw the phrase around. I usually say something like, "I hope things go well for you," or "Hope it works out the way you want," or "break a leg." ;)

That being said, however, I would never in a million years reprimand someone for saying it to me. That would just be rude.

• 4 weeks later...
We had a Japanese exchange student years ago (we are still close to her) and she was offended because we told her she was a talented muscian. She said she worked hard...it wasn't talent. That has always stuck with me too.

I believe her, though. Japanese are so excellent at everything that it must be hard work (otherwise they got all the good, creative genes over the rest of humanity!!). I am always astonished at a couple gifts I got from some Japanese friends; exquisitely made.

Hard work is key....

We should just be gracious and say "thank you" to someone who wishes you well regardless of whether or not it offends your beliefs.

I totally agree. I hate the phrase "good luck" but take it for its intention. Likewsie when people wish me Merry Chrismas (geez, don't you see how I am dressed!!, LOL).

World-Peace is the goal, so I try to always smile and say thanks.

Yes :) Luck is akin to words like stupid, fart, and cr@p in our house. We don't say it.

The reason? A couple times in the scriptures, there is a reference to "good luck." And each time, it is either in reference to satan (or false worship) or leaving the true God.

So instead, we say things like, "best to you" or "I know you'll do well" or whatever. It kinda depends on the situation.

ETA: There are VERY few people in this world I would ask to not say it to me though. Like rockermom, I understand the sentiment behind it and take that over the words. So yes, it makes me cringe a little, but I wouldn't have told you.

:iagree: Exactly what I was going to say :)

I've never had anyone say they were offended by "good luck" even though most of the people I know are Christians. But I know very few conservative or fundamental Christians and maybe that's more where the trouble lies.

It doesn't offend me at all and I've never had a problem with it but I can understand why some might I suppose. If a person believes in an all powerful God then there is simply no room for luck. The implication would be that luk can trump God's power and will. Likewise, If a person believes in an ordered universe then a chaotic force like luck has no place. If a person believes in a good God then it I can see that a powerful force that seems to have no bearing on goodness or badness would be unthinkable.

Regardless, I think if luck DID offend me I'd accept it graciously from strangers or aquaintances but let friends know how I felt. In my life I probably won't stop wishing people good luck though unless they let me know they don't appreciate it or unless it's obvious they're from a tradition that may have a problem with it. It's a saying meant in good spirit and I think, first and foremost, that has to be realized.

Personally, I prefer to use "Live long and prosper." vulcan.gif

It only offends the Romulans, and really, who cares about those guys? :lol:

Don't get me started on the Romulans.:glare: Those people (why do I still not have a smiley that's rolling its eyes???).

:lol: