Menu

Can you recommend some recreational reading?

I am looking for some good recreational reading for myself and need some suggestions. I like to read books which are well-written and I gravitate toward older books -- many of my favorites are at least 50 years old. I don't want anything too heavy though; think, "What do I like to read in the tub?" ;) I love historical fiction, mysteries, and classics.

I love to browse the library shelves, but it's difficult with three dc in tow and there's so much trash out there that it can be a potential minefield. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Start with Grace Livingston Hill, as long as you are not opposed to Christian themes. Her books are old (early 1900s old), they have great stories about homemaking, cooking, hospitality, children, marriage, etc. At the same time, they are light, but not fluffy, and not trash. If you end up with the newer editions that are in paperback, they look like trashy romances by the covers, but they're not. Very wholesome and great 'curl up and read to lose yourself' type of books.

Whenever I'm looking for a good read but can't seem to settle on something, I go back to my old standby, The Crystal Cave, and the others in the "trilogy" (there are actually four books). They're Mary Stewart's version of the Merlin/Arthur legends, incredibly written and richly detailed. The last book was definitely weaker than the rest, but the first three are wonderful. I also love, and never seem to get tired of, Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, and Richard Adams's Watership Down.

I think the last is perfectly neutral from a Christian perspective, but the second might be iffy, and the first, I'm really not sure. If you need more feedback on that, maybe others could chime in.

Hope you find something to read!

I am looking for some good recreational reading for myself and need some suggestions. I like to read books which are well-written and I gravitate toward older books -- many of my favorites are at least 50 years old. I don't want anything too heavy though; think, "What do I like to read in the tub?" ;) I love historical fiction, mysteries, and classics.

I love to browse the library shelves, but it's difficult with three dc in tow and there's so much trash out there that it can be a potential minefield. Your help is greatly appreciated!

The Rescue Artist. I'm really enjoying it.

Start with Grace Livingston Hill, as long as you are not opposed to Christian themes. Her books are old (early 1900s old), they have great stories about homemaking, cooking, hospitality, children, marriage, etc. At the same time, they are light, but not fluffy, and not trash. If you end up with the newer editions that are in paperback, they look like trashy romances by the covers, but they're not. Very wholesome and great 'curl up and read to lose yourself' type of books.

My mom used to read GLH, so that sounds like a good place to start. I do enjoy Christian books when they are well-written; I've been reading Francine Rivers and she has some great stuff!

I am hooked on the mysteries by Laurie R. King. She has a series with Sherlock Holmes and his wife, Mary Russell that is a very good series. The first book is called "The Beekeeper's Apprentice". A good choice for someone in the hive! BTW, her other series (modern mysteries) are darker and might not appeal to someone on the conservative side.

I am hooked on the mysteries by Laurie R. King. She has a series with Sherlock Holmes and his wife, Mary Russell that is a very good series. The first book is called "The Beekeeper's Apprentice". A good choice for someone in the hive! BTW, her other series (modern mysteries) are darker and might not appeal to someone on the conservative side.

I was just going to recommend 'The Beekeeper's Apprentice', lol. I would like to read the others in the series, but haven't yet.

Last year, I read (and absolutely adored) 'Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress' by Dai Sijie. This is a book for people who love books. It is so charming & well-told.

And, for a completely zany read (that was also lots of fun), try 'The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear' by Walter Moers. I bought it on a whim last year for myself & thoroughly enjoyed it -- it was a nice, fun, zany break from 'heavier' reading.

If you're ever looking for something easy to read in small snatches of time (esp. when you have young kids), I've found Kurt Vonnegut's books perfect for that -- his writing style makes it easy to read the story in small increments.

I was just going to recommend 'The Beekeeper's Apprentice', lol. I would like to read the others in the series, but haven't yet.

Thanks, Jean and Stacia! I just put The Beekeeper's Apprentice on hold at the library and look forward to getting started. And thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! My "tubby time" is going to be very relaxing.