Menu

Life of Fred - Love it? or not? please give opinions

Tami in CA

We've used Fractions, and Decimals and Percents and are very happy with them - Calvin finds them interesting and clear. Beginning Algebra arrived today and looks good. I've no idea how it will go though, because the previous books have been largely review, whereas there'll be lots to learn in this book.

Laura

I have the Fractions book and the Beg. Alg. My thoughts are...meh. I'm not sure I like talky story math. I think I'm too much of a traditionalist. I can't help but wonder if this is just another one of those schooling fads that will pass. I surely, personally, would not use LOF as my main math text.

We have used fractions, decimals and started beginning algebra. My 2 who have used it refer to ideas learned in them often. They think it is very clear and interesting. I like it because it applies math to real life situations. We plan to continue using them though I don't plan to change my core program (singapore primary and discovery math)

I'm not sure I like talky story math.

Talky story math didn't work well for my ds. He's more of a just-the-facts kinda guy. Plus, the story is engaging which he liked, but then he needed to THINK for the problems which he didn't like. :tongue_smilie: Here's my review:

Life of Fred website is http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html. We used LoF Algebra in 7th grade. We have the student book and the home companion.

Pros:

• humorous

• can be used independently

• good variety of problems

• good depth of problems (ie. challenging)

• Stan Schmidt is helpful if problems arise.

Cons:

• verbose

• many answers immediately follow the problems (tempting my student to look)

• sometimes he teaches in the answers to problems (ds doesn’t take the time to read it)

• student may need additional practice

I *think* it might have gone over better if ds wasn't in the midst of raging puberty. Wouldn't everything go over better then though? :willy_nilly:

My ds used them for a math review after talking a year off between PreCalc and leaving for university and placement tests. He worked through them both with the Companion Guides in a couple of months and really enjoyed them, but it was review for him. He did highly recommend them for his sisters. I have the Fractions and Decimals and Percents sitting on the shelf to use when we are ready for them.

btw - he placed right at the end of college Alg. level after using those for review so it seemed to help him sharpen his math skills back to where they were before taking a year off. He was never a fan of math.

All have is conjecture no experience. I have Beg & Adv Algebra plus home companions. I also have Mary Dolciani, Gustafson/Frisk, Martin-Gay, plus our own background with higher mathematics to draw on and very interested mathematicians nearby.

For the twins 7th, I want more reinforcement of their verbal skills, and less heavy handed approaches without sacrificing content. LOF covers more topics than the above mentioned books put together. It remains to be seen, if it is a mile wide and an inch deep. If it is shallow learning, supplementing more problems isn't a big deal here.

However, no one is more suprised than me, to not be using Singapore for them. Also I am not a fan of Saxon, been there done that with older kiddos.

Time will tell how it really works. But the big question becomes, what if it does deliver on its stated goals? What a nice change from the typical math book.

All have is conjecture no experience. I have Beg & Adv Algebra plus home companions. I also have Mary Dolciani, Gustafson/Frisk, Martin-Gay, plus our own background with higher mathematics to draw on and very interested mathematicians nearby.

For the twins 7th, I want more reinforcement of their verbal skills, and less heavy handed approaches without sacrificing content. LOF covers more topics than the above mentioned books put together. It remains to be seen, if it is a mile wide and an inch deep. If it is shallow learning, supplementing more problems isn't a big deal here.

However, no one is more suprised than me, to not be using Singapore for them. Also I am not a fan of Saxon, been there done that with older kiddos.

Time will tell how it really works. But the big question becomes, what if it does deliver on its stated goals? What a nice change from the typical math book.

I can't wait to hear more from you when you get deeper into it! I think LoF will remain high on my list. So, what you see so far, you believe it to be a stand-alone program unless there is more practice needed (not instruction)?

I have the whole set. I've used Fractions and Decimals/Percents for my middle dd. Fractions was 1/2 new and 1/2 review, Decimals/Percents was new. I've also used Beginning Algebra with my oldest primarily as review (she's been using VideoText).

I love it. It makes them think and really teaches them the concepts well. I would prefer if the answers weren't right after the problems (they aren't that way for the Bridge lessons - kind of like tests). It definately covers the material well. After my dd finished the Fractions and Decimals/Percents books, I pulled out a pre-algebra book and I used it as a kind of test to see what she learned. She was bored stiff.

I'm sure it won't work for everyone. But if the style works for your child, it's a great program.

Heather

We have the fractions book. I'll probably be selling it. :001_unsure:

How it works totally depends on the student.

At first my dd and I really loved it. But as we got further into it I just didn't care for the way he explained things. There didn't seem to be a lot of explanation as to why certain things were done to figure out the problem. I didn't feel like my dd was learning/absorbing much from it.

Thank you all for your replies. I will have to take a look at it again and see if I think it will work for us. We have been using Teaching Textbooks for a few years and I was just intrigued by Life of Fred.

Do most of you use it as a supplement?

Thanks,

Tami

So, what you see so far, you believe it to be a stand-alone program unless there is more practice needed (not instruction)?

Because of my successful math background, I am sceptical that a book this thin has depth. I have the home companion guide, and that is where I will supplement first. Then if more is needed, I will pull out of other texts or MEP. I might also use the tests in the teacher's editions as random assessments as well.

The striking part to me is that it could very well be a stand alone program. This would put my traditional thoughts about math approach on its ear. I have shown LOF to an opthamologist mom who was as intrigued as I as well as an educator for gifted/talented students. She said she thought this book covered more than the elite school she taught at, the twins attended here as well. To cover more topics than Dolciani and to cover more than this particular school is quite a feat. I will happily post on our progress.

I've been using LOF Fractions and now Decimals/Precents as a summer supplement. We really like them here.

Once we get to Algebra, I'm thinking for one dd I'll use it for her main math program. She likes talky story math. Regular math, not so much. This seems to be "sticking" with her very well.

Her twin sister, while she likes Fred okay, said she'd prefer just-the-facts math, so I'm thinking of giving her Foerster's with MWB. (She's looked Foerster's and said she likes it).

Then I'll cross-pollinate if they get stuck on anything.

That's the plan - but we haven't actually gotten to Algebra yet - probably another year. I think Fred is a great program, but I also think it depends on the kid and how they process information.

Thanks again for all the responses. I still don't know if this will work for my son? He doesn't like reading (was a late reader) and kind of likes to just get the work done. I am thinking it might be best to stay with Teaching Textbooks with him. What do you think?

Tami

So, what you see so far, you believe it to be a stand-alone program unless there is more practice needed (not instruction)?

I think it is a standalone program with the Home Companion. I derived this opinion from using LoF Algebra and what I have seen from those who have used beyond Algebra on the high school board. I think some students will need more practice.

Do most of you use it as a supplement?

We used it alongside MUS Algebra this year. It covered more and was more challenging. If I continued with LoF, I would use it as a stand-alone perhaps adding Key To... to extra practice.

My 8th grader is just finishing up Beginning Algebra. He used the Home Companion with it. He did it completely independently, but says he wants to use something else next year with a video. We borrowed VideoText and he says he wants to use that instead. Personally, I think this may be a bit of laziness on his part. It takes some work to read through the explanation; more work than just listening to a lecture. My next step will be to have him take the Alg. I assessment in ALEKs. That will show me how much he really learned and retained. Then I'll have him review anything he missed in ALEKs by finishing up their Alg. I before starting either Alg. II or Geometry. I'm totally undecided as to whether to stay with LoF. If he does well on the ALEKs assessment I may stick with LoF over his objection, because I like it.

If I continued with LoF, I would use it as a stand-alone perhaps adding Key To... to extra practice.

I love this idea! It is not as intimidating to me as supplementing with a full program like Foerster's. I'm still lightyears away from needing LoF but I can't wait to get there!

I love it. It makes them think and really teaches them the concepts well. I would prefer if the answers weren't right after the problems (they aren't that way for the Bridge lessons - kind of like tests). It definately covers the material well.

:iagree:

I use LOF as a supplement. My son enjoys it, and though it is entertaining, it is challenging. There were many topics that had him stumped.

I, too, wish the answers weren't right after the problems but we usually cover them with a post-it note. :)

Thanks again for all the responses. I still don't know if this will work for my son? He doesn't like reading (was a late reader) and kind of likes to just get the work done. I am thinking it might be best to stay with Teaching Textbooks with him. What do you think?

Tami

If he likes TT, it may be good to stay with it. Has he read any of LoF yet, though? Samples online, maybe? That was the seller for me. When one of my dc read the online sample and literally started rolling on the floor laughing, I knew we were on to something. It's easy to remember things that make you laugh, KWIM? I use it as a supplement to BCM. Fred is much more fun and interesting than BCM, but I think my dc needs the very explicit instruction of the BCM. Fred is the warm-up, BCM is the lesson and homework. No matter which one covers a topic first, dc gets to review it in the other one, so the review is pretty constant. When it comes time for Algebra 1, I may do the same thing using LoF and Dolciani. I think we'll try the soon-to-be-published LoF pre-algebra first, though, while we finish up BCM.

I have the Fractions book and the Beg. Alg. My thoughts are...meh. I'm not sure I like talky story math. I think I'm too much of a traditionalist. I can't help but wonder if this is just another one of those schooling fads that will pass. I surely, personally, would not use LOF as my main math text.

Calvin is very story based: it just makes so much more sense to do maths through stories for him. He learned his multiplication facts that way too, whilst Hobbes just learned the numbers.

I have had time to look through the first algebra text, and it looks like it has good explanations and lots of practice (if you get the companion guide and use it as recommended).

Laura