Menu

PA regulations? How are they?

Jorsay

I am thinking of moving to PA. Specifically to either Monroe, Northampton, Lehigh, or Bucks county.

Are the Homeschooling regulations rigid and time consuming?

Do they allow High Schoolers and Elementary Schoolers to participate in school sports? Specifically, wrestling.

I hear PA is the most, if not one of the most rigorous states to homeschool in. We live in Lancaster County. We are required to submit a list of objectives and a notorized affidavit declaring our intentions to homeschool. You are required to put in 180 days or 900 hours between July 1 and June 30 of the following year, and must have a log (like a calendar) showing each school day and what you accomplished.

At the end of the year, you have to have a portfolio showing each subject covered with samples from the beginning, middle, and end of the year. You must submit required health forms, and test scores in grades 3, 5, and 8. When all the end of the year things are gathered together, you have to hire an evaluator to look through all of your things and produce an evaluation of each child grade 3 and above. All of these things must then be submitted to the school district. In our school district, after 2 years you can submit only the standardized test scores, evauator's letter, and medical papers. Most schools do allow kids to be in sports, but typically not band.

The subjects required by law are:

Elementary school – Grades 1-6

"At the elementary school level, the following courses shall be taught: English, to include spelling, reading and writing; arithmetic; science; geography; history of the United States and Pennsylvania; civics; safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires; health and physiology; physical education; music; and art."

Secondary school – Grades 7-12"At the secondary school level, the following courses shall be taught: English, to include language, literature, speech and composition; science; geography; social studies, to include civics, world history, history of the United States and Pennsylvania; mathematics, to include general mathematics, algebra and geometry; art; music; physical education; health; and safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires. Such courses of study may include, at the discretion of the supervisor of the home education program, economics; biology; chemistry; foreign languages; trigonometry; or other age-appropriate courses as contained in Chapter 5 (Curriculum Requirements) of the State Board of Education."

For more info, look at askpauline.com.

We moved from Lehigh County before my son reached compulsory school age. I was told that some of the regulations depend upon your particular school district.

If you look at the map on the HSLDA law page- you will see that PA is red- one of the most highly regulated states. That said, I was privelaged to know many wonderful homeschoolers in that state- particularly in Bucks County.

The above poster did a much better job than I could regarding law...

You can check HSLDA for more info too.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

We live in PA. I don't recommend living here if you don't have to.

PA is one of the strictest states and you have to jump through so many hoops that families are beginning to turn to cyberschooling. If your child is under the age of 8 and has not been in the public school system you donot have to do the following down below. Not until your child reaches the age of 8 is all of this required:

This is what is required of you:

First you have to take a signed affidavit to the school district you live in along with high school diploma, vaccination or letter stating and signed that you are against vaccinations, and learning objectives for that year.

Then at the end of the school year your child is required to take standardized tests, by someone other then you in grades 3,5,and 8.

You are also required to create a portfolio of samples of their works, tests, calendar showing 180 days of schooling, list of books read, and any other things you've done throughout the year such as community service, phys ed, pennsylvania history, and fire saftey( on top of all your other subjects).

then you find a homeschool friendly evaluator ( that has to be a certified teacher, psychologist etc.) and wow and wooo them and show them that your child really is getting an education at home and they have to sign a letter stating your child is getting an education at home.

Then depending on the school district and if they feel that your child is getting a good education they will leave you alone until the next year. If they feel that an education isn't taking place in the home Pennsylvania has the right to force you to sign your children up to a public or private school.

Now, do you still want to live here? I know I don't.

Granted there are some people who these requirements don't seem to bother. I know I'm not one of them. Some feel that cyberschooling is more hindering then homeschooling but I'm really having a hard time agreeing with that.

It's actually age 8yrs that you have to start sending in an affidavit and doing evaluations ;) If your child misses the cut off age by 30 days, then you can forego till the next year. The key is, finding a good, home school friendly evaluator (some are not!). I know some school districts permit homeschoolers to participate in sports. You will have to check with each district to find who has wrestling specifically (not every one does).

Basically, the laws are more of a nuisance than anything else...but there are plenty of homeschoolers here and in the South East and South Central of the state, the districts pretty much leave you alone as long as you turn your required information in.

And to think how open PA was about freedom of the individual at its inception. SHEESH!

Move to Texas. No papers, evaluations, tests, etc. required. We are considered private schools and as such outside of TEAs jurisdiction. Granted, there are a few requirements...it must be a written curriculum (read no unschooling), and cover writing, reading, spelling, math, and a course in good citizinship. SOmeone correct me if I left something out or misspoke.

How are the standardized exams? Do they take several days, or are they just one day exams?

Is it difficult to find a homeschool friendly advisor?

I keep a daily log of my kids homeschooling and they spend far more time schooling then the required time. It sounds like a pain, but not prohibitive.

I just relocated to PA from GA and I cannot believe the hoops you have to jump through here to homeschool.

I am not sure why you are moving to PA but if you are just thinking of relocating perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Don't mean to be a bummer but why go through the extra hassle. We have found the transition here to be very difficult.

Good Luck!

Yes, it's way more than most states, but I don't find it unmanageable. The first poster did an excellent job of explaining what you have to do.

You do NOT need to actually show a high school diploma, just sign the affadavit saying you have one. The testing requirements are for grades 3,5 and 8. You can take one of many nationally standardized tests. Check out Pauline's website for the actual list of tests. We used the CAT this year and it was a piece of cake. Took about an hour or so. No biggie.

Most homeschool evaluators are VERY homeschool friendly and are not hard to find. In fact, most of them are homeschooling or have homeschooled their own children. I have a wonderful lady locally. She homeschools her kids, and the eval was pleasant, and informative.

The portfolio can be as detailed or an simple as you like. Probably sending in samples from the beginning, middle, and end of the year is enough. I'm proud of the work we do, and send in way more than required. You do not need to send in a detailed list of what you do each day. It can be as simple as a calendar with the days you did school checked off. You do need to send in a book log of the books you used throughout the year. The best thing to do is to ask the district what they require. Ours is very supportive and reasonable. I've had no problems at all.

One of the great things about homeschooling in Pa. is the amount of other homeschoolers. There are many field trip groups, outings, co-ops, etc. There are homeschooling gym classes, bowling groups, proms, art classes and so much more.

Sure, I wish that Pa. wasn't as rigorous as it is, but I don't find the homeschool regs a reason not to move here. It all scared me at first, but it's so routine now.

Hope this helps a little!

Nan..in Berks County

Thanks Nan. This is good to know. I'll be moving to Berks County next month. Where can I find the local homeschool group?

One of the great things about homeschooling in Pa. is the amount of other homeschoolers. There are many field trip groups, outings, co-ops, etc. There are homeschooling gym classes, bowling groups, proms, art classes and so much more...

Hope this helps a little!

Nan..in Berks County

Hi! Nice to meet you! Where in Berks are you moving to? We're in the Fleetwood Area School District. Here's a list of the local homeschool groups. I'm not super active, but plan on doing more this coming year. The events we've gone to have been really fun. The moms are nice, down to earth people, and ths kids are great. There's also a homeschool gym class at the Boyertown YMCA every week, and bowling through the group I posted below. In Berks you can do as much or as little in terms of activities as you like.

How old are your kiddos? And welcome!

Nan

https://www.homeschool-life.com (This is the Pottstown Area Homeschoolers Group) Lot of nice people and great activities!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LVHSFieldTrip

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Berks-Homeschool-Cafe

:lurk5:

I am in PA and new to homeschooling. I am in an area filled with homeschoolers. They don't seem to find the process too difficult. I am hoping that's how I see it when I'm finished with my first year!

My school district allows homeschooled kids to do their "specials" and after-school sports at the school.

Lisa

I don't think PA is unmanagable at all - and agree with a pp that they really are more nuisance than anything else.

Many many people will encourage you to turn in the minimum to your school district, mainly because it is one of the most difficult states to homeschool in. For this reason, I stand my ground with my school district that my signed affidavit is sufficient that they do not need medical documentation, and they have agreed, based up on the law as it is written. I also provide the minimum for a portfolio, but keep my own portfolio for my children, which showcases their annual work, and is shared with the evaluator of my choosing.

The annual onbjective don't have to be a source of stress, either. I use the exact same objectives every year, as they are general. I have my own personal objectives, as well, but don't feel that I ned to share those with the SD. (Kind of like the teacher who has to meet A, B, and C, but chooses also to focus on Q, R, S in order to meet A, B, C.)

It is not hard to find an evaluator. Feel free to interview them before scheduling an evaluation - find out if they do a simple statement for their evaluation, or if they do a longer more personal evaluation. Both have their benefits. I prefer getting a long one for my records, and a simple statement to include in the portfolio. An evaluator who has worked with your child for a couple years can be an option for an academic reference for your child. Also, find out how many samples of work they prefer to see, and how long they prefer to meet with your child.

There are a number of tests the children can take- I'm sure you will be able to find one to fit your needs, and wouldn't stress over it. It's only three grades that it is required, and there is no requirement for where their results must be. I know some who test in the fall and again in the spring (on an inexpensive test) and then turn in the better result.

PA is just like any other state in that there are all types of homeschoolers - and all can homeschool successfully in PA, just with a bit more paperwork.

Welcome to PA!

Nan, all of which you stated depends on the school district. Our school district required that I have a copy of my homeschool diploma. I debated this with them , and in the end they won. It all depends on your school district's interpretation of things. So you need to check with your school district. After talking to a few moms in my area I found that they too had to give a copy of a high school dipolma so it wasn't just me.

Not all school districts in PA are "homeschool friendly" we live in a more difficult school district in our area(we live in NW PA). Now if we lived in the next town they are less likely to make things miserable.

As for portfolios our school district requires a much more detailed portfolio. Again depends on where you live. We could never get away with just turning in the minimum. All I can say is we need a new superindenant.

Things here are managable. But are such a waste of time.

I have found that the standardized test can be taken in a day.

Now I know in that area there are a lot of homeschoolers. In our area there are some and those few like to keep to themselves. So we don't have co-ops and so on. They just want to keep to themselves.

It all honestly depends on where you live in the state.

If I could move to Texas, or Oklahoma I would. I know Alaska is a free state but with living in the snow belt I HATE snow! LOL.

Edited by TracyR

We live in PA and currently use a cyber school. I have read a lot on homeschooling in PA. Many of the articles state that some school districts will try to ask for more than PA law requires and recommend that the parents not comply with requests beyond the law. The cases discussed said that the PDE actually supported these parents against those school districts with letters explaining the law.

Pauline's website and the following are useful:

http://www.phea.net/

I know a lot of homeschoolers in PA and they have not had too difficult a time here in PA.:)

Nan, all of which you stated depends on the school district. Our school district required that I have a copy of my homeschool diploma. I debated this with them , and in the end they won. It all depends on your school district's interpretation of things. So you need to check with your school district. After talking to a few moms in my area I found that they too had to give a copy of a high school dipolma so it wasn't just me.

Not all school districts in PA are "homeschool friendly" we live in a more difficult school district in our area(we live in NW PA). Now if we lived in the next town they are less likely to make things miserable.

As for portfolios our school district requires a much more detailed portfolio. Again depends on where you live. We could never get away with just turning in the minimum. All I can say is we need a new superindenant.

Things here are managable. But are such a waste of time.

I have found that the standardized test can be taken in a day.

Now I know in that area there are a lot of homeschoolers. In our area there are some and those few like to keep to themselves. So we don't have co-ops and so on. They just want to keep to themselves.

It all honestly depends on where you live in the state.

If I could move to Texas, or Oklahoma I would. I know Alaska is a free state but with living in the snow belt I HATE snow! LOL.

I think you're right Tracy. I live in SE PA, in an area where there are tons of homeschoolers/co-ops. I've been told that our school district is overburdened with homeschool stuff and they are quite loose about things.

We'll be starting HS in the fall and live in PA. I was just putting my goals together last night bc in PA, if you have a special ed kid, you need to have a special ed evaluator approve your goals before starting the school year. This irritates me the most! Brownie

eta: I hould clarify that this irritates me bc ds has no academic special needs and in fact is gifted and near the top of his class in ps so it seems ridiculous to jump through extra hoops for nothing.

Edited by brownie
clarify

My son has autism, but was enrolled in the public schools right from the start as a regular ed. student...meaning a child with special needs who does NOT require special education services. We don't have to do anything other than what a regular ed family would do in terms of an evaluator. I think it's only if there is an IEP needed that you would need a special ed. evlauator. It's worth looking into to save you the hassle.

Nan

You're right about it depending on the district, I'm told. The homeschoolers I know have had little or no problems with their districts. Ours in Fleetwood and the assistant super in charge of homeschoolers is wonderful. As for requiring a copy of the hs diploma, your district is breaking the law. I printed out an opinion right from the Pa Dep't of Ed stating that signing an affadavit saying you have the diploma is what is required, not a copy of the actual diploma. My district questioned me on it, I sent in the letter and she called to thank me becasue she didn't know it wasn't required. I don't know if it's worth fighting them on this one, but I was ready to. Despite how I find Pa. pretty easy to homeschool in, I , like you, wish we didn't have all the paperwork to do. I would do a fine job without any supervision from our district, thank you very much. Let me know if you want a copy of the opinion from the D of Ed. I might have gotten it off Pauline's site.

Nan

We are in Pa, Going on our 10th year of homeschooling and it really isn't bad. I really dislike having to hand things in and wish they would change the law. I find it a pain in the neck. I do believe there is something going on with just handing in the evaluators letter at the end of the year. They are trying to get rid of the law to hand in portfolios to the superintendents of the schools.