Menu

If you have to teach 'reading' for your state regs

what do you put if your kid already knows how to read?

I bought/planned everything for 2nd grade early this past spring. We were still overseas and I wanted it all here and waiting for us when we got home. So now I'm looking through and getting ready to send in a LOI, but I'm not sure what to put on the IHIP for 'reading'. When I originally plotted out second grade, we were still working through our phonics program adn I was thinking we'd still be doing that, but we've nearly finished it. So now I don't know what to put for 'reading'. My plan was just finish phonics, work through ETC and read library books along with science and history books. But I don't have a program or any set books. Can I just put 'read 30 minutes a day'?

This is for NY.

Thanks.

In Pennsylvania, they want to see a list of books that they read and ones that were read to them. It is also helpful to see maybe a book report in there, as well as perhaps a project done with one. All in all, just the book list is all that's required.

I have no idea bout NY state regs., but if you have to use something Evan Moor has a series of books called How to Report on Books. It is full of simple book report forms and projects. These can be used with any book the child reads (or you read to her). Here is a link to the 1st/2nd grade book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Report-Books-Grades-1-2/dp/1596730846/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245604489&sr=8-1#

Edited by akmommy
forgot link

I would do activities directly related to building comprehension, vocabulary, and such. Steck Vaughan and Remedia have simple workbooks for multiple areas of reading skills thta I would consider using if I had to list something specific.

How about just keeping a running "log" of books your child reads. This would be SSS (Sustained Silent Reading) or Reading Group time in the public schools. Then, you could talk with your child about what (s)he read and that would be reading comprehension and/or analysis. Perhaps your child could write a sentence or two about his/her favorite part of some of the books, or even draw a picture of his/her favorite character and you've got a really complete reading comprehension journal.

Easy peasy and it doesn't kill the joy of free-reading.

:)

If you're not sure what you're going to use, then you can write on your IHP that you are going to work on comprehension, speed, and vocabulary, or similar.

If you know that you want to use a text or workbook of some sort, include that. If you don't know, then leave it as above.

If you choose one thing and report it on your IHIP, and change your mind, then on your first quarter report write "instead of ____ as reported on Johnny's IHIP, we are using ________" and finish your report for reading as usual.

Your IHIP isn't due until Aug 15, though. You have time. :)

HTH,

If you're not sure what you're going to use, then you can write on your IHP that you are going to work on comprehension, speed, and vocabulary, or similar.

If you know that you want to use a text or workbook of some sort, include that. If you don't know, then leave it as above.

If you choose one thing and report it on your IHIP, and change your mind, then on your first quarter report write "instead of ____ as reported on Johnny's IHIP, we are using ________" and finish your report for reading as usual.

Your IHIP isn't due until Aug 15, though. You have time. :)

HTH,

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I was going to list the texts on the IHIP, but then realized I didn't have a text for 'reading' and wasn't sure what I did then.

We've only been in our house a little less than a week. We have a little furniture thanks to the landlord leaving things behind for us, but beyond that we have the things I mailed my FIL and the things that fit in our suitcases. I don't have a printer yet and I'm not sure when it's due to finally arrive. I was starting to research what I needed to write a letter of intent (since I'll probably end up emailing it to my friend who will then mail it to me till I get my printer) and that's when I realized I didn't have a text for 'reading'.

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Kelly

"Reading" is not just teaching a child phonics. It is all that other stuff that goes along with *reading*: learning to recognize the main idea, who the antagonists and protagnists are, what foreshadowing is, and so on. So yes, even though your dc already knows how to read, you will still be "teaching reading" when you do other activities with the books/literature your dc reads.

On all of my boys 2nd and 3rd grade IHIP's I listed

• Reading/Phonics: Explode the Code phonics workbook and level appropriate readers

Of course the "level appropriate readers" are library books and Sonlight books I require they read.

If you aren't using any kind of workbook you could just say, "Level appropriate readers with emphasis on fluency and comprehension" or something of the sort.

I'm on Long Island and this has worked in both districts I have lived in.

On all of my boys 2nd and 3rd grade IHIP's I listed

• Reading/Phonics: Explode the Code phonics workbook and level appropriate readers

Of course the "level appropriate readers" are library books and Sonlight books I require they read.

If you aren't using any kind of workbook you could just say, "Level appropriate readers with emphasis on fluency and comprehension" or something of the sort.

I'm on Long Island and this has worked in both districts I have lived in.

Perfect. Thank you.