Menu

I think I'm switching to Singapore

MUS isn't working anymore. The memorization requirement is messing everything up. A friend had some Singapore workbooks and they looked good, so I'm going to try that. So, more experienced Singapore users, what do I need to buy exactly? I'm going to start from the beginning, whatever that is.

With the age of your dd, I'd start with the Early Bird Kindergarten books. My ds was 4.5 when we started these and loved them.

If she is more advanced, the Singapore website has placement tests you can give that will help place her.

We have used Singapore for several years and have really liked them. My ds was working about 4 grade levels ahead and Singapore has really challenged him. Now he's only about 3 grades ahead. :o

HTH

MUS isn't working anymore. The memorization requirement is messing everything up. A friend had some Singapore workbooks and they looked good, so I'm going to try that. So, more experienced Singapore users, what do I need to buy exactly? I'm going to start from the beginning, whatever that is.

Just wanted you to know since you don't seem to be aware, but there is no memorization requirement before starting Alpha (first grade). At age 3, I can't imagine what you think they should be memorizing. hth!

Are the activity books enough, or do we need the textbooks as well?

I'm not sure about the Earlybird books because we never used those, but you should definitely get the textbooks for the younger grades. That's where you'll learn the "Singapore method". Around levels 4 and 5, I've found that we don't use the textbooks as much, but I have them just in case.

You don't need anyhting extra with the Early Bird K books. We LOVED them, btw. As far as the textbooks with the other levels, I think that truly depends on you. I am a "Math" person and have found that I haven't needed the textbooks so far. But, others do, so I think you would need to decide that when you get there. Also, Saxon K was great for us at ages 3-4. I didn't use their scripted lessons, rather I looked at the concept that was to be covered and made sure my daughter understood it. This was a great springboard for her.

We started with Singapore 1. We still use MUS with Singapore Math, but don't worry about the memorization requirements. I strongly recommend the HiG (home instructor's guide) so you can see how to teach the Singapore Way. There is a new book out on the model method that I saw in Rainbow Resource Center's newest catalogue. I think it's the one that Bill (aka SpyCar) has.

We didn't do Early Bird so I can't speak for that. I'd go with what she's ready for. There is a placement test on the Singapore website. I don't know if there's one for Early Bird or not.

If you are looking for another option, you might check out Making Math Meaningful. My son did the K and 1st grade levels when he was 4. No memorization is expected. After that we started with MUS Alpha. I credit the program with giving my two oldest a love for math. It is lots of fun and focuses on Algebra! :tongue_smilie:

I'm pretty sure you need the textbook. What level will you be starting with?

The "textbook" in the Earlybird series is actually a consumable workbook. Dd went through A and B in pre-k last year and loved them, we had a great time, and she always chose math as her first subject of the day. :001_smile: We are starting 1A in August and I bought the textbook, workbook, intensive practice, home instructor's guide, and challenging word problems. When we used the Earlybird program last year we just used the textbook and the activity book (the teachers guide for Earlybird isn't very useful, it really only includes group activities).

Are the activity books enough, or do we need the textbooks as well?

I strongly recommend the HiG (home instructor's guide) so you can see how to teach the Singapore Way. There is a new book out on the model method that I saw in Rainbow Resource Center's newest catalogue. I think it's the one that Bill (aka SpyCar) has.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't an HIG for Earlybird yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, I didn't have one. And I don't think that was for the good.

For this dad/son combination the Activities Guide was pretty much a waste. I'm not the "crafty" type who is going to cut out stars and glue them in books when we could just use physical manipulatives (like Cuisenaire Rods) instead. My son is the same type. But a patient Mom-type with a scissor and glue happy bundle of joy might get more from them than us.

You need the textbooks.

I honestly have mixed feelings about EB. I think Singapore is a great series and what I intend as our "spine". And EB is a good gentle introduction to Singapore. However, I am very happy we started or "math exposure" with concrete manipulatives (especially C. Rods) and Miquon and Miquon-like methods first. Before starting EB.

I like concrete apprehension of "values" really worked out in playful fun-filled ways before getting into "workbooks". And as good as Singapore is, it does have a "workbook" feel, and the "Activities Book" was still to "paper" oriented for us.

At this age I found myself making up a lot of my own "activities".

And we are doing MEP alongside Singapore (now 1A) and drawing on some Right Start elements.

I'm just glad the very first exposure was Miquon before EB.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...