Menu

Poll: Baby name help!

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I've sensed that Gwendolyn may be coming into vogue, but 6 kids in 2 years with that name! Wow! That's a good thing to be aware of.

We don't watch TV, but I have heard of Cordelia on Buffy and the Clarissa character. I'm ok with that, I think. Those shows aren't on anymore, right?

Oh, and I do love the nickname Sylvie. One of the big draws for me to the name Sylvia.

Too funny about not wanting to vote for Sylvia (Silvia)! I'm super protective of "our" names, too! LOL.

Congrats on your surprise baby!

Thanks for all your help! keep it coming!

Edited by CactusPair

Just before coming on the Internet, we were watching Anne of Green Gables and I told my daughter I was going to change my blog title to "Call Me Cordelia". Anne says right at the beginning when asked her name, "Can you call me Cordelia? It is such a romantic name!"

Michelle

Yes! That's the first thing that popped into my head too! We love Anne!:D

I voted for Gwendolyn, but it is rising in popularity here. I didn't vote for Clarissa because I know several Carissa's Claire's, Clara's, and Clarissa's in his area. I love Cordelia though and almost voted for that one. Sylvia is not a favorite. Isn't that the one that has the meaning of Tree? I think that is what had turned me off when naming my own kids.

I'm probably showing my age here, but Clarissa makes me think of the movie, The Silence of the Lambs. I wasn't as discerning back then about the movies I saw. It was disturbing to say the least, and I can hear Anthony Hopkins say "Clarissa" anytime I see or hear the name.

I voted for Gwendolyn; I like the nn Gwen too.

Good luck!

I'm probably showing my age here, but Clarissa makes me think of the movie, The Silence of the Lambs. I wasn't as discerning back then about the movies I saw. It was disturbing to say the least, and I can hear Anthony Hopkins say "Clarissa" anytime I see or hear the name.

I voted for Gwendolyn; I like the nn Gwen too.

Good luck!

Wasn't her name Clarice?:confused: It's been a long time. Yep, very disturbing movie!

I love Gwendolyn too!

I like all your names, so I didn't vote. It's hard to predict popularity because the social security administration top 1000 names only shows years past, not naming trends going on currently. Here's a neat site to see what people are naming their babies right now (search by state and city, and it shows what names are popping up in hospitals):

http://www.our365.com/Wisdom/BabyNameScape/default.aspx

We just went thru this whole dilemma...I wanted a classic name, but classic names are really popular right now! We finally found 1 name we both liked, but were undecided on it. When baby arrived 2 months early, that's what ended up being her name:) We choose "Georgyana" for our lil' girl - I would've opted for the "Georgiana" spelling, but we wanted to distance ourselves from the movie, The Duchess, which pronounced it differently. Anyhow, choosing a name is really difficult, but that moment of clarity will come...Good luck!