Menu

How does your garden grow?

How does my garden grow ? . . .

With broken shells,

And windchime bells,

And pretty weeds all in a row.

(I would LOVE to have a proper garden again ! Ever since I injured my leg so badly in 2003, gardening has been impossible.)

Edited by Orthodox6

We only have two kinds of tomatoes, parsley (for Swallowtails), zucchini and cucumbers this year.

We have lots of flowers, though. :)

I have pictures on my blog as well.

PS -- What beautiful property you have! I love hostas too. Oh, and I want that kitten. :)

We're getting off to a slow start here because it's been so cool and rainy. I missed the lettuce and spinach window. We've got borage (aka comfrey), several kinds of tomatoes, dill, basil, red bell pepper, zucchini, green beans, and parsley. Hopefully they'll start taking off now that it's warmer! And the perennial mint, rhubarb, and chives.

I put the borage in next to the tomatoes because it is supposed to improve their flavor. Also it produces the loveliest blue edible flowers. The leaves are edible too, they smell/taste a bit like cucumber and are good in cocktails or just ice water. :) I didn't plant it this year, it reseeded itself and we had little borage plants popping up all over!!

We've planted our biggest garden ever this year. Right now, we're in the middle of potato harvesting (my most recent blog post covers that) and this morning, we picked our first jalapenos. We've also planted lots of other things like corn, beans, peas, squash, cukes, carrots, tomatoes, onions, melons, bell peppers, lettuce, berries and hmmm.... I think that's it! :)

Yours looks great! I love the little kitties!

...like crazy on a very steep slope:tongue_smilie: My dh created two small, raised beds and now we will have lettuce, onions, chives, beans, Japanese eggplant, sugar snap peas and basil. It's our first year for vegetable gardening. I'm not sure if he got the directions right in that square-foot gardening book though. How can such a small space produce sooo much lettuce?:D

It grows very nicely for a gardening newbie! I've got photos up on my blog but it desperately needs updating again. It's grown quite a bit even from my most recent post.

So far I've gotten cucumbers, squash, rosemary, English thyme, marjoram, and TONS of basil. The tomatoes are nearly ready to pick (I'm amazed at the size of some of the Romas), and I've gotten a few tiny little strawberries. The okra and bell peppers are about to start producing, and then I'll have green beans in a month or so, I hope. Other than the pumpkins that I hope will arrive in time for Halloween and not too early, that's all I planted this year.

The garden I'm doing is a 450 x 180 ft. community garden with 30 15 x 15 plots and space for the vine crops and corn. Most of us planted seeds, so while we're seeing stuff come up, we're no where near as plentiful as you are! We have had so much rain lately that I haven't been out there in a week to check everything out! I am sure my 2 plots have quite a bit of weeds, but thankfully, the ground is moist enough that they should come out easily.

I planted in my 2 plots:

Swiss Chard

Romaine

Bibb

yellow peppers

red peppers

Roma tomatoes

Big Boy tomatoes

eggplant

radish

bush beans

carrots

So far everything is up, it's just taking some time!

The point of this garden is to donate the produce, so I am SO EXCITED to start harvesting and donating!

Missed the lettuce and spinach window, but perhaps will try later on when it gets cooler.

We have two different types of tomatoes this year. I added more plants as last year we had too many to eat but not enough to can. The cucumbers are looking lovely with their little blossoms, so hopefully they'll be ready soon. The red and yellow peppers are trying, but I think they were farther along at this time last year. The watermelon is growing but not producing anything yet, and the corn is getting taller and taller. We put pumpkins in for the first time this year and hopefully they'll be ready when the time comes. I also planted some cantaloupes the other day, so we'll see what happens to them.

As of right now, the zucchini and crook neck squash are the only things about reading to pick. At least I can get a head start on that before the tomatoes start coming in.:)

Definitely not a romantic garden by any stretch of my imagination, but it gets the job done here in Really Hot Almost Mexico, Arizona!

We use a combination of 5 gallon buckets (like the "Homer Buckets" at Home Depot, but we get most of ours free from bakeries), one really cool stock tank, and two plastic kiddie swimming pools.

The tomatoes are doing GREAT in the 5 gallon buckets, and languishing in the swimming pools. But the watermelon is going BONKERS in the swimming pool. Potatoes are in the swimming pool as well, and have grown tall, but we can find no evidence of actual potatoes. Our herbs are all in the stock tank, and doing great. They are irrigated by our drip system, but everything else has to be hand-watered, because it was all put in after the drip was installed, and we consider the rest all temporary.

The stock tank will probably stay with the house when we have to sell next year (military move is pending). I have a few picks, but they are old, up on my blog.

I have zucchini and yellow squash coming out of my ears. My plants are out of control. It hasn't been warm enough for my tomatoes to ripen, but it will be this weekend and then look out. Holy Cow! We're having a nice amount of green beans and I have 15 canteloupes at about the same stage of development and about 3X that many set on. My garden is completely exploding and I have no idea what to do. I sent a huge bag of zucchini with DH to work today and told him to give it all away. And we only have 3 plants. I need to harvest my carrots and I've been getting about a cucumber a day, which is perfect for eating. I don't make pickles.

Miraculously!

I hadn't had time to plant this spring, but had cleared out the box. Two weekends ago, my MIL was here and commented on how many tomato plant we had. We have some lovely tomatoes and a couple sunflowers as volunteers from the bad tomatoes I dropped in last year. We'll see how they grow [grin]

Miraculously!

I hadn't had time to plant this spring, but had cleared out the box. Two weekends ago, my MIL was here and commented on how many tomato plant we had. We have some lovely tomatoes and a couple sunflowers as volunteers from the bad tomatoes I dropped in last year. We'll see how they grow [grin]

So, I am assuming the tomato plants that are growing from my compost bin (b/c it doesn't get hot enough to kill the seeds) are not capable of producing fruit. Are they? What if they are store-bought?

So, I am assuming the tomato plants that are growing from my compost bin (b/c it doesn't get hot enough to kill the seeds) are not capable of producing fruit. Are they? What if they are store-bought?

No idea ... i have some blooms on mine, we'll see if we get any fruit. My MIL seems to think they'll bear fruit. I'm hopeful.

It's growing nicely even with our late start this year.

We have yellow and white squash, zucchini, potatoes, strawberries, roma, cherry and beef steak tomatoes, eggplant, green and yellow wax beans, corn, cantaloupe, cucumbers, okra, lettuce, mexacali peppers and red and green bell peppers and watermelon.

Always growing:

Rosemary

Oregano

Harvested last week:

Spinach

Salad

Chard

Bok choi

And a teeny cauliflower

Thinned the beets for baby beets and greens.

My greens (salad, spinach, chard, bok choi) are done. I've replaced them with tomatoes and melons and sunflowers and onions.We get a CSA with plenty of greens all summer, so I planted enough greens to get us through spring, and the CSA started this week.

Currently harvesting:

Strawberries

Chives

Sugar snap peas (I can't keep the kids out of them! :) )

Shelling peas (Ditto)

Sweet Onions

And two ripe raspberries

Raspberries are ripening and will be coming on by next week. Beets are almost ready for harvest. Lavender is flowering and will be ready for cutting soon.

Still growing:

Pole beans and scarlet runners

More onions

More beets

Cucumbers

Zucchini

Melons

Pumpkins

Sunflowers

Tomatoes

Eggplant

Carrots

Basil

Getting ready to plant (once the peas are done):

Delicata squash

More tomatoes

Carrots and beets

More bok choi

I like making these lists. I forget just how much I'm able to squeeze into my back yard garden!

Cat

Depends on the variety. If they were from the grocery store, they are likely hybrids, so you may get tomatoes but they will not be like the parent tomatoes. Heirloom tomatoes will produce fruits just like the parent plant; hybrids will not. The hybrid may produce a tomato like the parent plant, or like one or more of the plants used to create the hybrid, or something entirely different. Might be fun to see what happens!

I looked it up because I didn't know the answer, and that's it in a nutshell. If you're interested in genetics at all it makes fascinating reading.

Cat