Menu

s/o Your kid is rude and rich!

Wow, :001_huh:, she wins $ 50,000 for texting at the supper table, in the dark, behind her back, on an obstacle course, yada, yada.

This is just too much! Craziness. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/06/16/how_fast_r_u_iowa_girl_wins_us_texting_title/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed3

I hope she has the unlimited texting plan, otherwise her dough is spent!

400-470 texts a day! That would take me the equivalent of a full-time job to do. I don't understand the allure of texting, although I guess it can be useful a tiny percentage of the time. The phone companies make a lot of money from it because it costs them next to nothing to provide it, but it is on the backs of the gullible.

400-470 texts per day!

The part of the article that made my jaw drop was that there were 250,000 people (22 years of age and under!) who were "trying to get a spot in the competition :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :001_huh:

I know one thing . . . if these young adults are writing and reading that many texts per day, they do not have time to read anything else. THAT is the sad part of the whole thing IMO.

Edited by dmmosher

Scary premonition:

The local school boards are going to realize that none of the students are paying attention in class....between texting, twittering and checking Facebook on their internet contected phones, the teacher is talking to a class full of "top of the heads" and isn't certain any of his students have eyes.

SO.....said teacher decides to stay home and conduct his class via Twitter and Facebook, leaving Texting for the students to send him the answers to the weekly quiz.

Graduation ceremony's likewise will now be held via Facebook, thereby making it possible for each student's 10,000 favorite people to attend.

Parents have taken notice and are requesting that their bosses let them stay home and twitter their work day. This has resulted in a lessening demand on the day care industry and made those poor souls who have to commute have less traffic to contend with. The local police department is trying to figure out how their officers can use Twitter and Facebook to arrest several on their "Most Wanted" list. Unfortunately, the police do not want to have to actually leave their home to make the arrest, so the viability of a virtual jail system is being considered by City Council.

:tongue_smilie:

The part of the article that made my jaw drop was that there were 250,000 people (22 years of age and under!) who were "trying to get a spot in the competition :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :001_huh:

For $50,000??? Ha - I'm ten years old than that and I'd jump at a chance to win $50K for texting. :D

Scary premonition:

The local police department is trying to figure out how their officers can use Twitter and Facebook to arrest several on their "Most Wanted" list. Unfortunately, the police do not want to have to actually leave their home to make the arrest, so the viability of a virtual jail system is being considered by City Council.

remember that old star trek episode where the two planets are fighting a virtual war? "report to the disintegration chamber please."

uh, no thanks!!

For $50,000??? Ha - I'm ten years old than that and I'd jump at a chance to win $50K for texting. :D

Sorry, you're still too old to join the competition!

I guess the sponsors of the contest conducted studies, and it was shown that after 22 years of age . . .

MOST PEOPLE COME TO THEIR SENSES AND GET A LIFE! :tongue_smilie:

or at least we can just hope so :001_unsure:

Edited by dmmosher

texting in class is already a very big problem. My oldest (who does not even have a cell phone) goes to PS. Plus I have been told by other adults who have taught Sunday School, special seminars, etc. that the kids ignore them completely and sit and text the whole time. This even goes on in college!

Pathetic.

Scary premonition:

The local school boards are going to realize that none of the students are paying attention in class....between texting, twittering and checking Facebook on their internet contected phones, the teacher is talking to a class full of "top of the heads" and isn't certain any of his students have eyes.

SO.....said teacher decides to stay home and conduct his class via Twitter and Facebook, leaving Texting for the students to send him the answers to the weekly quiz.

Graduation ceremony's likewise will now be held via Facebook, thereby making it possible for each student's 10,000 favorite people to attend.

Parents have taken notice and are requesting that their bosses let them stay home and twitter their work day. This has resulted in a lessening demand on the day care industry and made those poor souls who have to commute have less traffic to contend with. The local police department is trying to figure out how their officers can use Twitter and Facebook to arrest several on their "Most Wanted" list. Unfortunately, the police do not want to have to actually leave their home to make the arrest, so the viability of a virtual jail system is being considered by City Council.

:tongue_smilie:

In DS highschool if they are caught with a cell or ipod during the school day it's gone and a parent has to pick it up. The second offense is detention and so on. They really crack down on it. My ds without thinking about it realized he forgot his calculator and took out his Ipod to use as a calculator:lol: it was gone, yep, his teacher got it. He told me about it right after school but I waited until the next day to pick it up and he had to hand it to me in the mornng before he left for school. He brought it with him to listen to his music on the bus. He was pretty nervous all night that his ipod would get stolen at the school since so many have been stolen through the year:001_huh: "Son, you know this and you still brought yours to school?":001_huh::001_huh: Teenagers....anyone figure out how their brains are wired please clue me in.

In DS highschool if they are caught with a cell or ipod during the school day it's gone and a parent has to pick it up. The second offense is detention and so on. They really crack down on it. My ds without thinking about it realized he forgot his calculator and took out his Ipod to use as a calculator:lol: it was gone, yep, his teacher got it. He told me about it right after school but I waited until the next day to pick it up and he had to hand it to me in the mornng before he left for school. He brought it with him to listen to his music on the bus. He was pretty nervous all night that his ipod would get stolen at the school since so many have been stolen through the year:001_huh: "Son, you know this and you still brought yours to school?":001_huh::001_huh: Teenagers....anyone figure out how their brains are wired please clue me in.

Some teachers have a zero tolerance policy here. Others are encouraging it. Here's an article from our local paper:

Updated January 27. 2009 11:21PM

Web changes how students learn, interact

By Kristina Andino

The Gazette

You can't accuse students in Lee Kibbie's Advanced Placement Literature classes of not trying to understand each other.

Last week, 10 of the Linn-Mar high schoolers sat at media center computers discussing William Faulkner's "Light in August" — online in a group forum while also talking with each other.

"The students of today would much prefer to communicate via the Internet rather than writing a paper," said Kay Rewerts, 60, a technology consultant with the Grant Wood Area Education Agency. "They're so technologically aware, that that's just their natural way to communicate."

Increasingly, area educators are nurturing students' need to learn by bringing fun interactive electronic tools into schools.

This type of document and idea-sharing — through forums, wikis and blogs — are the schools' most popular Web tools, Andy Crozier, also of the Grant Wood AEA, said.

So far, more than 180 teachers have explored modern technological tools through an area AEA course for teachers in a Technology Integration Mentorship Program and spinoffs in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City schools.

Two 17-year-old seniors in Kibbie's class shared the back row table, typing and talking during last week's forum.

Emily Kane turned to Jenna Silver and said, "I'll pose a question at the bottom, and you can respond to it so we can get our community responses done."

Kane typed a comment her classmates could see about a character in the book named Joe Christmas: "He's unaffected by his surroundings, but he's certainly not accepted or smiled upon." She ended the post with, "Any other opinions on this?"

Scattered in with classmates musings on the book were a couple off-topic posts. One student posted a "warm fuzzy" expressing happiness at Barack Obama's inauguration. Another posted a "cold prickly" on the same topic.

But others got into the book. When students' heated class discussions get cut short by the bell, many hop online later to continue the forum or to see what the other class that had been in it was saying.

Kane found herself posting messages at 3 a.m. on at least one restless night. Otherwise, "I probably wouldn't be like, 'Well, let's bust out the math book," she said, laughing.

Kibbie, 38, credits students for insightful questions or fresh perspectives shared on the forum.

"In class, there are always students who are quiet or shy," Kibbie said. "It's a way for those students to speak out and air their views without feeling like everyone is staring at them."

As Kibbie's class hyper-communicated, a school counselor sat in a nearby studio talking into a video camera about how students can select next year's courses. A student monitored the video feed in a nearby room. Such announcements also are posted on the school Web site, which links to YouTube.

At Cedar Rapids Kennedy High School, Science Teacher Jason Cochrane conducts impromptu polls by taking advantage of teens' love for cell phones.

"No other teachers do it, so it's something new," Cochrane said. Meanwhile, he gets a sense of how many students are grasping concepts he teaches.

"In biology, I might ask a question like, 'Where does the blood flow into the heart?', and give them multiple choice answers like 'atrium' or 'ventricle,'" Cochrane, 25, said. Students pair up and text their answers to a five-digit phone number. A computer-based bar chart instantly shows responses.

Linn-Mar's Chad Lechner, 37, said his students scored better on a quiz about brain parts than previous classes after using cameras and computers.

Students in Lechner's anatomy classes dissected sheep brains, snapping pictures as they went. They uploaded the photos onto computers and into slide show presentations, highlighting brain parts and recording their voices while describing what they saw. Most used Google Docs to share their work, and e-mailed them to Lechner for credit.

"It lets the students be the ones coming up with, 'How do you remember this?'" the AEA's Rewerts said. "That's the way so many students learn, is by creating something."

I am not impressed.

Ay, I find this type of contest so disturbing!! As it is I see people texting while driving 80mph on the freeway all. the. time. I have been hearing on the news lately about accidents that occur when people are texting and driving, like that train accident a few months ago, recently there was an 18 wheeler accident where the driver was texting. I think a contest that encourages this type of behavior is so socially irresponsible. Teenagers are typically more prone to car accidents because they are just learning to drive and the combination with their texting culture is frightening.