Menu

Whats your favorite Algebra 1 & geometry programs?

Guest Katia

Life of Fred:

1)covers all topics needed and more

2) low cost

3) fun, fun, fun for the kiddos as in they WANT to do math / not boring

4) author available for questions/help

5) does not take hours and hours to complete

6) kids remember the math from the context of the lessons and it sticks with them

7) very good scores on ACT from using this (our experience anyhow)

We have used Teaching Textbooks as well. One dd didn't understand them and didn't get much benefit from them, but other dd likes to mix TT with LOF because it works for her!

My 2 cents... It's thorough, time efficient, offers support through their website & yahoo group, and works with math-a-holics (my firstborn), visual learners (my second), and special needs children. My children watch the dvds (nice, short lessons) with me, and are generally always ready to apply what they've learned. We've used Primer through Geometry, and are about to begin Algebra 2. I couldn't be happier :)

Hope this helps,

Hi,

I am looking for a good Algebra 1 or Geometry program for my daughter. She is finishing up TT Pre-Alg. this summer. I would greatly appreciate it if you would share your favorite programs, and maybe why you like them.

Thanks so much,

I love Foerster's alg. Its explanations are very clear and the application problems really make sure the student understands the purpose behind alg.

My fav geo program is Chalkdust's new one. Again, the explanations are good. It is very focused and thorough.

for both. The texts are thorough without being intimidating. And I love that the 2nd and 3rd problem sets (maybe it's 1st and 2nd for Geometry?) cover exactly the same problem types. My son would do all of one set, then the corresponding problems in the next set for any he missed the first time around.

Some people have commented that the Jacob's Geometry is weak on proofs, but for anyone who doesn't intend to be a math major, the directed proofs were enough. (By directed, I mean that for many proofs, the student only has to come up with either the statements or the reasons.) Another great feature is that every chapter of the geometry text ends with an algebra review.

FYI, we did Singapore through 7th, then Jacob's Elementary Algebra, followed by Jacob's Seeing, Doing Understanding Geometry. This year he is doing Foersters Algebra & Trig 9just through chapter 12, as recommended by the author), and next year Foerster's Precalc.

Maura

Jacobs is a solid program. My oldest loved the cartoons at the start of every chapter. She worked the challenge problems for fun most of the time, because a lot of the time they were brainteaser problems. She used Jacobs for Algebra and Geometry and then used Kinetic Books for Algebra II. She'll use Chalkdust for Precalculus.

My middle dd started off with both Jacobs and Kinetic Books for Algebra I. She finally decided that she liked Kinetic Books better. Her main reason was that KB has immediate feedback on the practice problems, so that she knew exactly what she was doing when she got to the pencil&paper problems at the end of each unit. She will use Jacobs for Geometry and then go back to Kinetic Books for Algebra II. She will use Chalkdust for Precalculus unless Kinetic Books has that level when she's ready for it.

Kinetic Books covers the same content as Jacobs, but goes a bit deeper. For instance, Jacobs covers solving systems of two equations with two unknowns, but KB goes all the way to systems of three equations with three unknowns. If you don't want the extra depth, you can always skip it.

We also did Harold Jacobs Algebra 1 and then Geometry. Both are very gentle, incremental, with "big picture" examples for every single lesson to help students see how the concepts are applicable and used in real life -- that is especially helpful when covering abstract math concepts in Algebra.

We did the 2nd edition of Jacobs Geometry, and I thought it had a LOT of proofs -- that is what the first 3/4ths of the textbook covers! I would say that it has far more proofs than Saxon or Math-U-See. The only downside to Jacobs is there that, while there are answers, there is no solution manual, which would be helpful for the Algebra. However, none of the problems were *that* hard, and I was always able to see pretty easily where DS made a mistake.

BEST of luck, whatever you decide to go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Life of Fred:

1)covers all topics needed and more

2) low cost

3) fun, fun, fun for the kiddos as in they WANT to do math / not boring

4) author available for questions/help

5) does not take hours and hours to complete

6) kids remember the math from the context of the lessons and it sticks with them

7) very good scores on ACT from using this (our experience anyhow)

We have used Teaching Textbooks as well. One dd didn't understand them and didn't get much benefit from them, but other dd likes to mix TT with LOF because it works for her!

I have heard about Life of Fred and thought if sounded like a good program. Some say it is not a complete program, but a supplement. What are your thoughts on that? Also, are there worksheets/assignments/problems to work out daily, or is it just a "learn by reading" book? I had trouble finding a good description on their website, and having only used textbook style math in the past (Abeka, Saxon & TT), I have no idea how this works.

Thanks so much,

My son used VT for three years, 8th and 9th grade in Algebra and 10th grade in Geometry. My only beef with them is that we got ahead of them, and the precalc portion hasn't been released yet, so we're moving on next year.

It's probably just as well, I suppose. I'm a real fan of switching up math programs so students get used to different ways to word and show concepts.

I hope you find something that works well for your students.

You'll doubtless get even more suggestions; however, I'll mention what my just graduated homeschooler used.

In 8th, she used Margaret Lial's Beginning Algebra; this was followed by Jacobs' Geometry the following year.

Regards,

Kareni

Guest Katia
I have heard about Life of Fred and thought if sounded like a good program. Some say it is not a complete program, but a supplement. What are your thoughts on that? Also, are there worksheets/assignments/problems to work out daily, or is it just a "learn by reading" book? I had trouble finding a good description on their website, and having only used textbook style math in the past (Abeka, Saxon & TT), I have no idea how this works.

Thanks so much,

No, Life of Fred is not just a supplement; it covers all the concepts needed for each subject area and in depth. There are no worksheets, but yes there are daily assignments to complete. Just make sure you get the Home Companion book as well as the text book, as the Home Companion book has broken the text down into 'lessons' and gives assignments and extra problem sets where necessary, along with tests and answers.

Life of Fred is still a textbook style math. The only difference is that the explanations are from the point of view of a 6yr genius and they are in story-form. And fun. And funny. And because of their real-life application they are memorable. My older dd found that LOF helped her to think about math in ways she hadn't been able to before, and because of that out-of-the-box thinking she Aced her college math class last semester (that many other in the class had problems passing....and believe me this dd is NOT a math person AT.ALL.)

The author wants your dc to do the math without any explanations from the parent. If the dc gets stuck, they are to email the author and he will give hints and suggestions to get your dc back on track.....so.....it's like having a private math tutor for your dc.

Oh, and did I mention it's really fun....and really funny? The dc *want* to do math now. They love it!

For my eldest: 1965 Dolciani. I also really like Gelfand's.

for my second dd: I'm going to buy Life of Fred Algebra 1--based on what I've read I think it may well become a new favourite of a different flavour of Algebra. She read and liked The Number Devil (well, a few things she didn't like, but the math was very fun in that book) so I think she's going to like it. My other dd liked it, too, and may have liked LoF--if she likes her sister's LoF we may get it for Trig or something down the road.

Misses for my eldest were Jacob's & TT.

Guest Psalm23

I, too, am looking for a good geometry program for my rising 10th grader.

This is the first I've heard of Life of Fred and it does sound interesting! Although I was looking for something that includes lessons on DVD, this is supposedly self-explanatory. For those who have used it, is it really? Even for a confirmed math-hater?

:confused:

this is supposedly self-explanatory. For those who have used it, is it really? Even for a confirmed math-hater?

:confused:

We've only used Fractions and Decimals/Percents, but it really is pick up and go. My student does her math on her own. She has had difficulty three times. The first time, she wasn't reading the "lessons" thoroughly enough. A lot of answers are hidden in the story and a student must be able to read carefully. I had her go back and redo bridges until she didn't miss any at all. The last two times, I'm not real sure what was going on. I had her email the author. He's responded within 24 hours each time.

Math Relief for algebra! Video teacher who's absolutely gifted at making algebra simple. Worksheets have all problems already written out, so student can get right to work. Answer keys have complete answers, start to finish. I love it!

Julie

I second Math Relief. I used Lial's for my ds and did not love it even though we had loved Lial's basic college math. I used Math Relief for Algebra I and II and it was wonderful.

Veronica