Menu

Can I please get some opinions on the Guerber history books......sm

Allison TX

I am looking at The Story of the Ancient World from Nothing New Press, revised by Christine Miller. I can only find good reviews on this book. However, when I read the samples I find them to be on the dry side. I am concerned the style of writing will make it difficult for my kids (4th and 5th) to comprehend what they are reading. Would this make a better read aloud as opposed to a self read? Have your kids enjoyed any of the Guerber books and had good comprehension with them? Thanks for any thoughts. I am stuck on history and can't decide what to use until I make a decision about this book.:confused:

Allison

This is what I know about this particular book:

- it's heavy on Bible stories/history

- it's a short, engaging collection of narratives

- good to use as a read-aloud

A description from Lamp Post Publishing:

The Story of the Ancient World is a completely new historical narrative based on H. A. Guerber's Story of the Chosen People. It builds a Biblical worldview and a rich vocabulary. Your child will discover the fascinating history of Ancient Sumeria, Egypt, Phoenicia, Israel, Assyria, Babylonia, and Persia. Story of the Ancient World has maps, timeline, recommended reading, bibliography, and an index. With illustrations and 128 chapters, Story of the Ancient World has 279 pages with a softcover.

My opinion? The Guerber books are packed full of information. They're not light reading. My rising seventh grader -- who is a very good student -- is using them for history, reading *one lesson* per day, outlining it, and taking tests.

I'm aware that some people on this board hand the books over to their younger kids who read them and enjoy them. However, there's more to the Guerber books than just great stories. I'm squeezing all the benefit I can out of these wonderful books. No way would I just have a kid read through them casually -- there's just too much good information there. I consider them to be a logic stage resource.

We have all of the Guerber books and love them. I agree that this would not be a hand-over to a 4th or 5th grader. We use them as read-alouds and I also do use them about once a week or so for an activity called a Scholar's Reading Lesson (I copy off a paragraph or two from the reading and then have them do some vocabulary work, reading out-loud, deductive-reasoning questioning, outlining and re-telling, etc..). The format is perfect for this. It would also be great just for outlining.

I posted this in another post recently but I think the information in there is very thorough, engaging and what I like the best...the stories are short (usually only a page or two) and the pages are not busy. I have a hard time reading from books with lots of little boxes and things running down the sides, etc..This has a lot of white space and a great font...I love the layout.

If you do a seach for Guerber, you will find some more opinions. We are headed out of town right now, or I'd try and find the links for you. :001_smile:

We have all of the Guerber books and love them. I agree that this would not be a hand-over to a 4th or 5th grader. We use them as read-alouds and I also do use them about once a week or so for an activity called a Scholar's Reading Lesson (I copy off a paragraph or two from the reading and then have them do some vocabulary work, reading out-loud, deductive-reasoning questioning, outlining and re-telling, etc..). The format is perfect for this. It would also be great just for outlining.

I posted this in another post recently but I think the information in there is very thorough, engaging and what I like the best...the stories are short (usually only a page or two) and the pages are not busy. I have a hard time reading from books with lots of little boxes and things running down the sides, etc..This has a lot of white space and a great font...I love the layout.

If you do a seach for Guerber, you will find some more opinions. We are headed out of town right now, or I'd try and find the links for you. :001_smile:

That is good to know. I was going to order the Middle Ages and Reformation books to use for oral narration. They sound perfect for this if they have short chapters---written narrations too.:)

I love Geurber- my kids (last year, then ages 12 and 13) found them dry when they read them alone, but we all really enjoyed them as read alouds. It seemed to bring them alive.

They seem simple but they are jam packed with info.

Debbie in OR-can you plz expound more upon the Scholar's Reading Lesson-did you make that up? I love that idea!

Can't take credit for it! It is in the Reading Curriculum book from the NOAH Plan. The book is packed with things like this for improving reading and reasoning skills. This one in particular, covers so many areas (narration, oral reading, comprehension, analysis, vocab. in context, etc..). And it takes under 10 minutes! Rather efficient use of time and I love that we can pull it from anything we are reading...history, science, Bible, etc...

I can pm you with more info, if you like. :001_smile:

Hi Debbie-thanks-I would love if you would PM me with more info! I'm trying to streamline in exactly this manner for fall! The closest thing I have found is Bravewriter Arrow, which I'm using to give me ideas, but I really want to get this too. I'd love to hear more! Thanks!

Debbie! So how about those Scholar Reading Lessons? If we buy something from Noah website, will that give us what we need to do this? If so, what would that be? Or instead of PMing us all, if you maybe want to start a thread about it for those of us who are interested? (I'll also keep cking back on this thread.) I'm in the same boat as kimmyandgracie-wanting to transition dd into logic w/out overwhelming and think this would be perfect. Thanks!