Menu

Composting poll. worms or no worms?

I like worm composting better because it is faster, but the big drawback is temperature. It gets really cold here, so I have to have the composter in the basement in the winter which leads to an occasional fight with fruit flies.

They also don't like bright lights and extreme heat. Just take care of them. They work hard.

Check the list of things you cannot compost with worms - I think citrus peels are bad for them.

My girls thought it was cool to watch them turn trash to dirt.

Worms are good, but we just haven't made the commitment to them yet. They are supposed to produce great compost. We just don't have the energy and room to add one more project. We do a very passive, throw everything in a pile compost (nice well defined pile).

Organic gardening magazine/website usually has lots of good information on worms. Good luck.

We've had worms for 3 years now. They sure have an incredible capacity to turn food into a useful product at amazing speed. We do have a compost heap as well, we put most food stuffs except for citrus and onions and chillies in with the worms, the rest goes in the compost heap with grass clippings and dead leaves and garden waste etc.

The worms take a while to get up to speed, so for a start they don't eat huge amounts, but as they breed more worms your farm will slowly build up to a food eating machine.

We have had fruit fly problems in the past, but I find the best way to avoid that is to have the food well covered with layers of hessian or newspaper. I use newspaper because eventually it rots into the castings, and they eat that too.

We have a worm farm, it is great and just starting to crank up. We have had it a few months now and the worms certainly were slow in the beginning but they have obviously been breeding up and are now getting through the compost heaps quicker. Our farm is outside in a shady place, we all love it!

No worms yet! But we want them! They're high on our list of priorities, especially because we raise rabbits. (But our rabbits are colony style instead of hutches, so the manure is less of an issue.) If you can have & raise worms and teach your kids all about it why (GASP) would you ever want to consider no worms??? :P