Menu

Last weekend we drug an old 486 out of the attic and set it up.

We were cleaning out the bookshelves and came across a stash of old computer games and soon the whole family was reminising about them. We used to play them together as a family. So we decided that we would like to play them again. They were all written for windows 95 or ealier systems and of course would not run on any of our newer computers. Now my hubby keeps all old computers. I have a vertiable museum of computers in my attic. So he dug around and found an old 486 that still works perfectly. We installed the games and now even though every child in the house has their own personal newer computer they are all clamouring over turns on the old one.

:D I had an old pentium a few years back that I fiddled with and installed DOS on so I could play my stash of old games. My daughter loved it! Now that you've reminded me I should dig that out again!

Everybody with kids should have a computer that's a PIII or slower though with Win98 SE on it. So many great old kids games out there that just won't work on newer computers!

The old classics were so much fun. No need for flashy graphics when there is pong!

I found a space invaders game and just about died laughing. At least my kids got that though, not much different from Tetris as far as I can tell but they were utterly perplexed when I explained Pong to them. "Why would you do that?" they asked. On the other hand, they love real life Ping Pong.

There are DOS emulators for newer machines to run the old software. :)

I think I still have our old Apple IIc+ in the attic somewhere. The newer Carmens just aren't the same.

And a search for "abandonware" will bring up many sites that have the games available for download. Be aware that it's a fuzzy issue though. The sites are technically violating copyright but most of the games have been "abandoned" by publishers who have no interest in re-releasing them and don't bother the abandonware site or orphaned by companies that simply disappeared. My presonal opinion is that without these sites there would be a lot of digital gaming history that would have simply went the way of the Dodo. In fact, there are some "lost" games that those in the abandonware community search for in the hopes of archiving but haven't found yet. But the clock is ticking...information on floppy disks and cartridges degrades over time.

Who knew computer games were such a complicated issue? :)

Oh my! My dad, being in the computer field, got us a computer back when hard drives were only 2 or 4 megs. His work buddies would come over and we'd all have a ball playing a track and field type game.

My dad really got into Zork back when it was nothing but a text game. He had this giant, desk-sized graph paper that he used to draw the world out on...to scale.

He and I also enjoyed a D&D game that was created with nothing but symbols and letters on the keyboard. Loved it!